Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pasta-belly: Lavar rejects 'Skins offer for an extension

goldenster95

Originally posted by Skins26

I love the guy and I think he is crucial for this team to resign, I would probably cry if he left. But I just dont understand the thinking with some of these athletes.

Its the princible here. Think about this way if you were employed and got a job for $100K well every year you want a raise right?? No one is ever happy with their current salary for whatever reason, good or bad. The offer it sounds like less or equal to his original. After working 5 years at your job would you still want to be at the same salary, no matter what it was?

I also have a feeling he doesn't want to rush because he is curious to see what the FO does with all the coaching positions and maybe how they treat Champ.

Originally posted by speedwagon20

In Lavar's defense though, for most athletes, if you don't cash in on your second contract (the prime of your career) you won't really cash in.

also that contract sounds like what the #1 pick will get next year anyway

Originally posted by speedwagon20

I'm waiting for the day when a good player on a good team takes a very reasonable contract and stays quiet about it.

In Lavar's defense though, for most athletes, if you don't cash in on your second contract (the prime of your career) you won't really cash in.

I guess we also have to realize that NFL teams aren't looking out for the best interest of the players either. The minute a guy loses a step, he has to take a pay cut or he's gone. They won't continue to pay him for sentimental reasons or for what he’s done for the team in the past. As they always say, this is a business. Everyone is out for themselves.

Just give him the money....and Champ

Typical reaction from a Skins fan.

There is no more money to give.

Danny Boy has your team strapped and every year he tries to renegotiate contracts to buy them more time against the cap.

Lavar's origonal contract was heavily backloaded. He restructured for the Skins once already to give them room to sin more free agents and again push off the money he is owed from his origonal contract.

Now, Danny Boy is trying to make him swallow, what would be, a pay cut over the next 3 years over what he would be getting anyway. Why would Lavar want to do that knowing that when the real money starts to come in with this new agreement, Danny will be asking him to restructure it again.

Same reason Champ didn't sign his deal- it's not the amount of money...It's whether or not they will ever see it when all the dollars come in the last 2-3 years of these deals.

One or both of these guys will be gone very soon.

What I think we also have to realize is this. No contract money is ever guaranteed except maybe the signing bonus. Lavar only makes 420K this year as posted on the salaries page of this site.. If he makes takes the agreement that means he makes less money next year and essentially deferes his big bucks to later years. In the long run he makes more money, but in the short term he makes less. He is young, but he is also a superstar who only makes 420K this year. I can understand why he didnt jump at it. I give Snyder credit for making him an offer and determining where LaVar stands before it is too late. Creadit to the FO for maing LaVar feel wanted. Give credit to LaVar for not being a dumbass, unless he leaves the team. I think this will be settled. We need LaVar more than any team I know of. Especially with Trotter and Armstead slowly fadding away it seems. Well, at least Armstead, although I think he is awesome.

Are you retarded? How does getting 10-15 million more UPFRONT AND GUARENTEED constitute a paycut?

Please buy a book on how contracts are structured in the salary cap era (specifically with the Skins) and get back to me.

Also, the "F" doesn't mean I'm in the frontcourt for the Mavs.

Originally posted by f_dallas

Also, the "F" doesn't mean I'm in the frontcourt for the Mavs.

So how does it feel when your GM doesn't talk to the Coach and tells QC not to worry you are the man :laugh: :rotflmao:

I loved the Tuna's repsonse.

I can't wait till we squash the hopes of the pathetic dallas cowchokes this year. Remember you haven't won in washington with a winning record in a looooooooooooooooooooong time :)

Again, unless the offer included the signing bonus to actually be paid over a 2 or 3 year period - Lavar would be getting MORE money upfront and more importantly, IT'S GUARENTEED (the SB is).

Additionally, since the cap # doesnt really reflect what the player is earning in that year (because the SB which has been paid out all ready is prorated each year of the contract)...the whole argument of yours is ridiculous.

I can't wait till we squash the hopes of the pathetic dallas cowchokes this year. Remember you haven't won in washington with a winning record in a looooooooooooooooooooong time

Since no one seems to get this...

The "F" stands for ****.

My name is "**** dallas".

I hate the Cowboys as much as you do.

I'm an Eagles fan.

Originally posted by Skins_KDawg

First off, stop reading too far into things. LaVar will be a Skin for life, I can almost guarantee it. He has a commitment to this team that I've only seen once before... Darrell Green. He'll be here.

How can you be so sure?? Do you know him?

It wouldn't shock me in the least if he left.

Losing gets old.

Originally posted by jbooma

So how does it feel when your GM doesn't talk to the Coach and tells QC not to worry you are the man :laugh: :rotflmao:

I loved the Tuna's repsonse.

I can't wait till we squash the hopes of the pathetic dallas cowchokes this year. Remember you haven't won in washington with a winning record in a looooooooooooooooooooong time :)

Oh man... tell me about it. :doh:

I hope this isn't the first friction between Parcells and Jones. I keep waiting for Jones to blow this and treat Parcells like Jimmy Johnson. I do not want to go back to watching Switzer, Gailey and Campo with the headset. :shot:

Someone mentioned on the first page that Boulware received a $16 million bonus. In that case, I can see why Arrington refused the contract. Like someone else said, this is probably his last big contract.

If Arrington really does cry after losses (I've never heard that quote), I could see his rejection about the state of the team as much as it is about money. Hey, it caused one of the greatest running backs ever to retire. (Sanders) Maybe Arrington is doing the same thing that Stephen Davis did last year to force them to cut him?

If you are a team guy, as we all seemingly believe Lavar is, then I personally believe that you do whatever it takes to get the contract done, and done quick. As far as I'm concerned, the organization has proven that they want to make a commitment to Lavar, and I compliment them for that. Is he as committed to this town as we think though? That's the question.

First, no player is going to take a first offer.

From the beginning they are taught to expect the first offer to be a lowball figure.

Also, isn't Lavar with the biggest dirtbag agents of all? the Postens? They get a cut of Lavars contract. So no way they are going to "settle" to help a team. The more the deal's worth, the more they get themselves. Aren't the Postens the ones making the insane demands for Orlando Pace?

And right there is where a lot of the acrimonious contract dealings come from. The agents not accepting good deals that benefit both the client and the team. They'd rather have the inflated contract that kills the cap, forcing the team to take action, possibly releasing the player for cap reasons. What do they care? They still get a percentage off of the negotiated contract. And I doubt that their percentage is tied into the contract being completed. It's probably tied into the size of the contract, and they get the same percentage whether or not the contract is completed.regardless. And if a player is released, they get to renegotiate another contract, before the first one was supposed to end. More money for them.

Second, any player of Lavar's ability and "name" is going to have an immense ego. They may not be loudmouths like Sapp or Meshawn, but they still have an inflated ego. Champ's been showing his. Heck D. Green has one. ALL pro athletes do. The size of the contract AND the size of the bonus IS important to them. Not so much for the money; it strokes their ego, makes them feel like real men. It gives them "bragging rights".

The "Mine is bigger than yours" BS.

Archived