Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Ramsey: Play or Surgery?

EvoSkins

Play? Ramsey Yet to Decide

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, December 8, 2003; Page D15

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., Dec. 7 -- Patrick Ramsey and Washington Redskins officials likely will decide within the next few days whether the quarterback should make another attempt to continue his season or cut it short because of the injury to his right foot.

Ramsey sat out his second straight game Sunday as the Redskins beat the New York Giants, 20-7. He is scheduled to consult with his doctors early this week, then make an evaluation.

Tim Hasselbeck led the Redskins to Sunday's win in his second NFL start, and has played well enough in place of Ramsey to convince many club officials that he should enter next season as Ramsey's backup. But Coach Steve Spurrier said that Hasselbeck's solid play would not affect Ramsey's decision.

"If there's a chance [Ramsey] can get back and be able to play, I think he's going to try to do that," Spurrier said. "But right now obviously Tim is a very solid player that can get the job done. We feel comfortable with both of those young men at quarterback."

Ramsey is suffering from a bone bruise and the aggravation of an old fracture and is facing surgery as soon as his season is over. He has said repeatedly that he would like to play again this season. But he acknowledged that his foot was sore after he reinjured it last week and said he was concerned about the possibility of hurting his arm because of adjustments he has had to make in his throwing motion to compensate for his foot injury.

post-1882-13611901576171_thumb.jpg

If it were me making the decisions at Redskins Park, Ramsey would have had surgery the day after he re-injured his foot in practice last week. His game has dropped off significantly as the year has worn on. Yes he needs the reps, but he needs to fix the crack in his foot a whole lot more.

What is the bonus of having him have surgery now??? He could wait 3 weeks and still have more than enough time to heal and be ready for next year. I am not getting this....why not put the best possible team you can out on the field, every game. That's my philosophy.

Ramsey could have surgery now, heal, and then get hurt in a preseason game next year. This is football people. Let's play football.

The bonus is more healing time

And the philosophy in this case is silly because the best we can do is 8-8 and still out of the playoffs with a potential for a foot arm,hand and head injury hindering him for 2k4.

We dont want ramsey pulling a jerry stackhouse

First off, we are still "mathematically" alive for the playoffs.

I don't think 3 weeks healing time will make much of a difference since he will have 6+ months...I mean, c'mon.

The moment the season ends, yes, Ramsey should be rushed to the hospital by medivac...but until then, why not have another QB on the roster who could possibly step in if medically cleared. I don't like the 'what if he gets hurt' mentality, that's not a winning mentality. You guys all call for leaving it all on the field and yadda yadda yadda. In fact, about a month ago we were arguing about whether or not our team was playing with 'heart'. But now, on an issue like this, you all seem to want to take the wuss route.

Let the guy have the surgery after the season. If he can practice, and play...let him play. Like I said before, that's just my philosophy.

If Ramsey has surgery in the post-season and doesn't heal as quickly as anticipated, we'll really be kicking ourselves. I think the 'Ramsey needs every snap' argument is overblown. Yeah, he needs as much experience as we can get him, but he needs experience as a healthy QB. I'm not sure how much you 'learn' when you're hobbled and having to do things you'd normally not do (like throwing off a bad foot and being unable to avoid a rush with your feet). I think Spurrier's letting Ramsey's toughness and desire to play get in the way of good judgement.

You also have to consider the risk of a 75% Ramsey getting hurt further on a big sack due to a lack of mobility.

The only smart move at this point is to encourage Patrick to suck it up and have surgery now.

We're going to be kicking ourselves if his altered throwing motion causes a shoulder injury, or his lack of mobility causes a concussion due to a hit in the pocket.

The issue isn't reps, it's quality reps. It does no good to practice bad habits born of a foot injury.

I say undergo surgery now. With an anticipated two month rehab, he's ready to go within one to two weeks after the Super Bowl if he gets the surgery now, and he's fully ready for mini-camp. And if there's any delay in rehab, it won't cost him reps at mini-camp because you can address it in the offseason.

No, Map, he couldn't against Carolina. But by all accounts he could last week in practice where he took all the reps until slipping. Obviously you want to see how he responds to contact and slipping but if he feels good he's got to get the reps.

Archived