Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody miss Samuels today?

Guest J Dawg

I know the Giants defense wasn't 100% - but IMHO i thought Winey played very well today. Is Chris Samuels worth keeping around here? I like Chris Sameuls but is he worth the money?

This isn't yet a real conversation to have. Samuels is a proven player. He's had a few bad games here, but, on the whole he's a top left tackle. Teams know his strengths and weaknesses and he's generally very good. Winey is still an unknown. Teams haven't found his weaknesses quite yet. When they do it's how he plays after that will tell us what he actually is.

That said, his play is very encouraging. Spurrier isn't helping him. He's not chipping over there. He's not putting a tight end over there. He's leaving Winey alone. And Winey has MORE than held his own for three weeks, including against the Saints and Howard. Howard had three sacks against Samuels last year.

That said, there were at least THREE plays where Winey was beaten badly. If Ramsey happened to be in the game, given how slow Ramsey is to release the ball sometimes, it would have been a monstrous blind side hit and fumble and we'd all be worried sick. Hasselbeck is helping the line and backs out tremendously by being able to throw the ball on time and limit the number of hits. A lineman now can be beaten and not matter. That's too infrequently been the case this year. It's a strength in his game right now.

Samuels will redo his contract because his a class player and knows the team needs his help.

Next year, under a new Oline coach (Yes, I finally agree with ASF on Helton leaving) that will bring out the nasty in him, we'll all be glad he is wearing #60 for us.

I'm not quite sure as to the "benefits" of keeping Samuels at such at high cap Value (hit). Be that as it may and given the possibilityy of not being able to move him because of cap implications I'm encouraged as to the performance of Winey thus far. I'm much more comfortable with our LT tandem now. If one cannot get it done then two will.

Yeah, Code, that did happen. On one running play Jansen got beat. He knew it. But, matched up with Strahan directly, that's the only time he got beat and made a play. Strahan made a handful of other plays as well. On them he was blocked by the tight end.

Yeah thats why I was praying we could snag strahan he is a beast, its not like jansen was facing some scrub DE like our soon to be retired pass rusher.

Samuels was playing in an entirely different scheme.

Let him runblock 40 times a game and only have to pass protect 19 times a game and most of you would look like you were superglued to his jock.

Originally posted by Art

Strahan made a handful of other plays as well. On them he was blocked by the tight end.

Blocking Strahan with a TE? That is what I don’t get about this OL blocking scheme – how does anyone in their right mind figure that that is going to work in protecting the QB?

All I hope is that if we let Chris Samuels go, come this time next year we don't have a serious problem at LT that we are all complaining about week after week. I think we would be taking a really big risk letting a two time pro bowler go, and having him replaced with a virtually unproven Brandon Winey. Yeah, Winey has done a nice job filling in for Chris, but the guy is raw, and sooner or later teams are gonna get a good read on this guy. Last time I checked, LT was the most important position on your offensive line. No way we risk the future of our QB and let Samuels go. He's having a bad season plain and simple. He's earned the right I believe based on his play of seasons past to at least be able to prove himself to the organization again.

Archived