Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS PROMOTE DOUG WILLIAMS TO SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF PLAYER PERSONNEL

TK

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To use an analogy.  Dan doesn't mess with the head chef.  But desserts are his passion.  And by coincidence people have said he's had his hand in making desserts in the kitchen here and there to different degrees.

The result:

poop-cupcake.jpg

I think what is interesting - You bring up Coach Gibbs - Coach Gibbs has had nothing but praise for Dan Snyder and has stayed a lot more involved with the team since his second stint than he did in stint 1. I think the one thing people get wrong about Dan is he wants to win - that is often seen as a joke, and that he is meddling -  given what has happened on the field but successive regimes and reporters around the team often say Dan is prepared to give coaches ANYTHING they need to make the Redskins successful. The only negative thing about that is he expects people he trusts to make decisions to stand by them . And this causes friction. When things go wrong decision makers will start trying to deflect criticism and blame - it is human nature . 

People often describe Vinny Ceratto as many things - none of them good - but Vinny was the ultimate fixer - (not fixing things wrong with the team) but he had files on every pro player in the league - If you wanted information on anyone he had it and when it came to acquiring talent he knew what to do to get it - and you have to admit with Vinny in charge there was not a free agent we couldn't get - Looking at Vinny that way you can understand why Dan liked him so much because Vinny was to use a term - a closer . But being the fixer he very rarely made the decisions - It was up to someone else to make the final call to go get player X - if it didn't work out then talk to them not me - I got him - If it did then just remember - i got him - So you can see why he had the life span he had . It was only when Vinny was given the keys to the kingdom as GM in 2008 and he absolutly screwed the pooch with not only the Jim Zorn hire but the coaching search in the first place and then the elaborate things that were done behind the scenes - to fix/undermine Zorn - Dan made him make a decision he did and Vinny could not stand by it 

The other thing about Dan wanting to do ANYTHING to make the team win is it can produce a toxic environment - If it is floated that going in this direction or acquiring player X is the right thing to do - I think there there has to be a strong debate against it . I think that is what happened with Donovon McNabb - Shanahan wasn't forced into it he just had no alternative and no strong oppinion against it. 

I think the team structure as it is right now is a structure that has been sold to Dan as the best to achieve success - I think what you have to consider is this . All things being equal if things did not go sideways in february there is a very good chance the guy at the helm (GM) would have been Scott - he might have been on a tight leash but what went down around the combine forced the teams hand . Many of the hot shot potential GM candiates would have wanted to bring there people in and make their mark - That was not what we were looking for - We were not looking for a new direction - Just someone to steer the ship pretty much in the same direction as we were going ... 

People are going to dislike this move not because it is Doug Williams but because it has the Dan Snyder seal of approval stamp - and people have it in their heads that ANYTHING he does is bad for the team . But pragmatically - I can see it is not perfect and the good ship Redskins needs some patching up but I can see it is still moving in the same direction - Only time will tell if thats the right direction . 

59 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

I think what is interesting - You bring up Coach Gibbs - Coach Gibbs has had nothing but praise for Dan Snyder and has stayed a lot more involved with the team since his second stint than he did in stint 1. I think the one thing people get wrong about Dan is he wants to win - that is often seen as a joke, and that he is meddling -  given what has happened on the field but successive regimes and reporters around the team often say Dan is prepared to give coaches ANYTHING they need to make the Redskins successful. The only negative thing about that is he expects people he trusts to make decisions to stand by them . And this causes friction. When things go wrong decision makers will start trying to deflect criticism and blame - it is human nature . 

I would too if I am Joe Gibbs.  Gibbs famously butted heads on major decisions with Beathard.  Dan saying to Gibbs its all yours baby, you got final say.  Why wouldn't he love the dude?  I would if I am in his shoes.

But its not about Dan being a bad guy.  I got nothing personal against the dude, he's likely a good person -- does a lot for charity among other things.  Its simply that if I thought his instincts were spot on, then go crazy and interfere.  But the bottom line for me is winning.  That's it.  Do I think Danny mixing his acumen into the FO soup is part of a winning formula?  No.  It's not because I don't like the guy its because following the team for years, I just don't think the dude has great instincts for personnel.  And in his defense, I wouldn't expect him to have great instincts.  He doesn't have a scouting background.  People talk about Jerry Jones messing with the Cowboys but at least Jerry has a vast background in football. 

As for Dan willing to give the team everything needed to succeed.  I don't doubt that.  I think he'd be a great owner if he stuck to giving resources when its needed and not kicking in with stuff like lets trade two first rounders for Chad Johnson and the litany of moves multiple people said he had his stamp on. 

The other thing about Dan wanting to do ANYTHING to make the team win is it can produce a toxic environment - If it is floated that going in this direction or acquiring player X is the right thing to do - I think there there has to be a strong debate against it . I think that is what happened with Donovon McNabb - Shanahan wasn't forced into it he just had no alternative and no strong oppinion against it. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/daniel-snyder-washington-redskins-owner-still-struggles-to-find-formula-for-success/2014/01/04/5d86bfa4-74a4-11e3-bc6b-712d770c3715_story.html?utm_term=.4284428c9d4d

...the consistency with which the Redskins have lost under Snyder’s stewardship raises the question: Why?

This story is based in part on interviews with 19 former employees, including those who worked on the Redskins coaching staff, in the front office and at Snyder Communications, the wildly successful marketing company that built Snyder’s wealth. Many spoke on the condition of anonymity because they either weren’t authorized to discuss Snyder or they were concerned speaking publicly could damage future employment prospects.

The Redskins turned down requests to make Snyder or his top advisers available to be interviewed for this story.

Nearly all former employees described Snyder as a man whose passion for the team is both an asset and a flaw and whose personality and leadership style touch every corner of the Redskins organization. While some suggest he receives unfair blame for some of the team’s missteps, many say his strong personality has fostered a culture within the organization that makes it hard for any employee to thrive. Even Snyder’s defenders note that the franchise’s perennial struggles feature the owner’s fingerprints and say the organization is very much a product of his design.

From the outside, Snyder’s tenure as owner has been marked by big splashes and bigger flops, impulsive decisions that didn’t pan out and a bit of bad luck. People who’ve worked in every facet of his operation say Snyder runs his billion-dollar business in a unique way, promoting competition within the building, maintaining few close advisers and allowing his own passion and personal interests to get in the way.

...Snyder’s organization has been structured a variety of ways and featured several deputies over the years. Those familiar with the team’s inner workings say there’s not necessarily a problem with the structure, but rather that those tapped to do their jobs frequently are not allowed to do them.

A former member of the Redskins’ personnel department said Snyder’s involvement with the football operation typically outmatches his football expertise.“He can’t ever get it right because he wants to be involved in it all,” he said. “He wants to have input in everything.”

Several employees said that while Snyder likes to ask questions, he does not always seem receptive to advice. Many relationships with other NFL teams are strained, they say, and he has insulated himself from pushback and dissenting opinions.

“I think there’s a fundamental flaw with who he surrounds himself with,” said one former coach. “Dan’s not very open to receiving negative feedback.”

People are going to dislike this move not because it is Doug Williams but because it has the Dan Snyder seal of approval stamp - and people have it in their heads that ANYTHING he does is bad for the team . But pragmatically - I can see it is not perfect and the good ship Redskins needs some patching up but I can see it is still moving in the same direction - Only time will tell if thats the right direction . 

This point doesn't make much sense to me.  You bring up Scot in some of your other posts in the context of people having an inflated view point of the dude.  But didn't Dan put his stamp of approval on that when it happened?   Most of us loved the move.  I praise stuff all the time that this organization does. So do others here.  And heck if they resign Kirk, I'd deem myself as one of the more optimistic guys about the team's future.  Heck like I said in a previous post to you, I like everybody in that front office especially if they stay in their respective lanes.  I met Bruce and I thought he came off as a cool guy.   We keep hearing Doug is the coolest dude, too.   I am even one of the people on the board that digs Larry Michael -- who I think gets unfairly hammered here for doing his job. :)  Nothing personal directed at anyone.  Just want to win. And I've drunk the Kool Aide plenty on plenty of issues.  But If I see something I don't like, I'll express it.  :)

If people had issues with Doug being named the GM just because of Dan that would imply that heck yeah everyone would agree he is easily one of the best personnel guys in the league, we've been hearing about Doug being an elite evaluator for years.  It's not the case, though.    But like I said in another post to you, love Doug.  I just don't think he's the most qualified choice to lead personnel.  That's it. 

Archived