Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Special Team improvements

joeken24

Been thinking about what the team will look like on offense and defense with all the new acquisitions. My hope is that they gel quickly. There's no doubt about the talent. I actually think we have more depth. With that, I think we'll see an improvement on one of the forgotten, but important aspects of the game - special teams. No offense to those with down syndrome, but we had a couple guys last year that should have been on the short yellow bus.

This year, I see Crowder, Niles Paul, Martrell Spaight and couple rookies in Ryan Anderson and Samaje Perine as this years play makers on special teams. 

Who's your top five?

Short yellow bus team.wmv

I've been contemplating starting a semi related thread about this topic. There's an influx of young talent worth developing on this roster, and some tough decisions will need to be made. Do you try to find a way to keepthe tremendous potential of Robert Davis on the team, at the expense of losing a better ST player? Or to put it in a more tangible question, Do you release your ST stalwart and captain Niles Paul because Jeremy Sprinkle may become our future at TE? This year the "Teams vs Talent" decision may be harder than in the past.

*I do not intend to highjack joekens post. I will gladly delete and move into it's own thread if deemed necessary.

Several things:

Loved the video.

"Short yellow bus" is poor metaphor bad athletic performance (and anything else for that matter.)  Comment about down syndrome was even worse.

The ST have been hurting from lack-luster effort for years because the second/third stringers who populate the roster haven't been taught the nuances of making a freaking block or just don't realize how important every block is; I blame their motivation (self or otherwise).  Sean Taylor, Santana Moss, Lorenzo Alexander, Niles Paul, Rock Cartwright, James Trash blew people UP whenever they were on the field.

If Anderson and Perine are playing ST, this team has some issues.

:229:The Rook

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:44 PM, joeken24 said:

Been thinking about what the team will look like on offense and defense with all the new acquisitions. My hope is that they gel quickly. There's no doubt about the talent. I actually think we have more depth. With that, I think we'll see an improvement on one of the forgotten, but important aspects of the game - special teams.

edit

This year, I see Crowder, Niles Paul, Martrell Spaight and couple rookies in Ryan Anderson and Samaje Perine as this years play makers on special teams. 

Who's your top five?

First, if you have to start with "No Offense to" you should just not say it. No need to use that type of analogy.

To your comment, peoples perception of our STs does not align with the results. After a rough first year, Kotwica has done a really good job with STs. It has also helped that the back end of the roster has greatly improved - something also overlooked. This is a huge part of the job that Scot M. was not given enough credit for by those who insist because he didn't make many big splashes and Josh Doctson was injured last year he did not do a very good job here. 

Redskins STs ranking over the last 4 years per Football Outsiders:

2013 - 32nd

2014 - 29th

2015 - 6th

2016 - 14th  - Note, the drop off is almost directly due to Hopkins increased missed FGs and there was relative drop in the entire kicking game. This was somewhat offset by a significant improvement in the punt return game.

People remember a few plays that pissed them off and make that the evaluation of the entire part of the team. But the facts show that STs has been one of the bright spots the last 2 yrs. Is there room for improvement? Sure. Always is. But the perception that STs has been poor the last two years is just not true.

First off, my apology for the analogy.

So Bruton really got under my skin last year. I have a problem when a guy is given the benefit of the doubt due to their size. Particularly, when they get pushed around or don't use their size. BTW, I'm 6'0 so I don't have a complex. I just know the Redskins can be a lot better with a few more "dogs" on ST. The point of the video was more to show how an extra block or a bit more awareness and aggressiveness can make the difference between a score and a lost opportunity. If you recall, we didn't even score on the drive.

Archived