Redskins.com:Ramsey Doubtful For New Orleans Game

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12306

Ramsey Doubtful For New Orleans Game

11/26/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

RamseyCloseup_Title.jpg

Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey’s right foot remains sore and he is officially listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints.

Ramsey’s foot was immobilized in a cast and in a protective boot Wednesday. He did not join the team for practice Wednesday afternoon. Ramsey has a bone bruise in his foot—thought to be the result of an old injury—that has flared up in recent weeks.

“My foot is a little more sore this week, as we expected it would be after having played on it,” he said. “We’re going to see how it feels at the end of this week.”

Ramsey said even if he’s unable to participate in practices this week, he believes he would be able to play in Sunday’s game provided his foot feels better. He expects to attend game film sessions with the mindset that he is going to play.

“You focus harder on the mental side of the game and just hope that your rhythm and and your timing holds up,” he said. “I’ve thrown the ball all my life. I feel like I can do it, but it is more of a challenge to go out there and play without having practiced.”

If Ramsey is unable to play, Tim Hasselbeck would start Sunday’s game. In his first extended action in the NFL last week against Miami, Hasselbeck led the Redskins to three consecutive scoring drives and a 20-7 halftime lead.

For the game, Hasselbeck was 15-of-30 for 150 yards and one touchdown, a 37-yarder to Laveranues Coles.

Hasselbeck said Wednesday that his confidence level improves every day that he plays, practices and studies the offense.

“I never really thought that I wouldn’t succeed if I was in the game,” he said. “Obviously, [my performance] confirms it a little bit and maybe my teammates believe in me a little bit more, but I always felt that I could move the ball.”

Ramsey said that he doesn’t want to be sidelined for the rest of the season because he believes every rep and every play is important to his continued development.

But if his right foot doesn’t show improvement in the coming weeks, it’s something he’ll consider.

“The only time I feel like that’s something I’d want to do is if we go a couple weeks in this cast and it just doesn’t get any better,” he said. “Then you’re looking at a few weeks left in the season and how much longer it’s going to take for me to get better. That’s not for me to address, though. The doctors are professionals and they’re going to help me get back on the field as soon as possible.”

The Redskins have also listed left tackle Chris Samuels (sprained knee), safety Andre Lott (sprained ankle) and center Larry Moore (sprained foot) as doubtful for Sunday’s game.

Fullback Rock Cartwright (sprained ankle) and wide receiver Taylor Jacobs (sprained knee) are listed as questionable.

I think its possible Patrick's played his last game this year. I know he wants to play, but this type of injury (and to be honest, they call it something different in every article, one says 'a bone bruise', another a 'fracture of the foot', who knows?) doesn't heal overnight. If they were smart, they'd tell him now you're likely done for the year and we want you to accept it and heal up so we can get you back in as the starter for next year. If you've seen some of the pictures with him with the boot on (still grimacing with every throw) you know he's hurting much worse than he's letting on. And I differ with those who say he'll benefit from the reps...he's at risk every second he's out there at less than 100%....you think a bone bruise is bad, try adding a couple torn knee ligaments or a few more concussions to the mix. He won't benefit from getting hammered some more this season.

Ok here is the question: What has changed in the Saints D in the offseason? Cause we all remember what they did to Ramsey early in the game last year. If Hassleback gets his 1st start against the Saints, is THAT what we will see again? Before the season Ramsey said the Saints game was circled on his schedule because of how he played against them last season. Now on the other hand, I personally feel that it is most important for Ramsey to be healthy and play in the remaining division games this year. We have three, and if by some miracle we could win all three games, then that would give Ramsey a confidence boost going into next season. I really don't want the scenario of Ramsey hurt, and depressed, going with him into 2004. Even though I think the guy has a strong head on his shoulders, situations like this affect everyone a little different.

If Ramsey sitting out vs. the Saints, means Ramsey starts against, Giants/Eagles/Cowboys, then I can live with it.

Remember last year, when Ramsey came off the bench and lit up the titans, then started against the Saints the following week and threw three picks in the first half before almost bringing the team back? Could we be in the for the same kind of thing with Tim H?

Right on Tarhog. I am not of the school of thought that Ramsey needs more reps this year. Yes the more times he sees Philly, the Giants and Cowpukes, the better he'll get. But reading defenses haven't really been a problem this year. When he's had time, Ramsey's been pretty dammed good.

The problem is him learning how to protect himself, and get rid of the ball and I don't think he would learn much, especially with a fractured right foot, from facing the Giants or Philly again this year.

If he suddenly wakes up one day in the next few weeks pain free and 100%, then absolutely he needs to play. But I see little benefit to sending a wounded Ramsey out there against two aggressive defenses b/c the chances that he'll sustain further injury are much greater than the chances of him learning anything lasting.

Archived