Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Hill: Breitbart employees threaten to leave over Yiannopoulos

visionary

12 hours ago, tshile said:

He has made a career of blending his actual opinion, with satire, which general comedy, and plenty of shock comedy. It's really hard to decipher what he actually thinks, and what he says he thinks when blending all those things.

I wouldn't put it past him to carry on a 20 year long run of making this shocking point, it's actually right in line with his shtick. I also wouldn't doubt if he believed it entirely.

Not really looking to defend him, part of the reason I like him is because he's able to voice offensive opinions and get away with it so it would be natural for him to appall me, and I can recognize that without hating him for it.

It aligns with the hate speech thing. If you don't like what someone has to say, don't give them the time of day. They thrive on the negative attention, you're playing into their hand.

*shrug*

true.

even going back to the ben affleck/sam harris show, which i've probably watched 2 dozen times, and where harris actually dropped the 'islam is the motherlode of bad ideas' (which he later backtracked on somewhat), its fascinating to see where that made the conversation go. harris spent the next ten minutes trying to unpack what he actually meant, but the damage was done. harris was saying one thing, but affleck was hearing something else. (not unlike message boards)

its just interesting to see how emotions and pre conceived notions play a role in communication breakdown. 

12 hours ago, zoony said:

We live in a more compartmentalized society than ever before and its getting worse.  And i tjink what we are seeing is a fertile ground for extremism in several forms...

i'm seeing this extremism problem too. and it worries me. 

13 hours ago, zoony said:

At the same time, i would never consider it "hate speech" to say that Islam has a tolerance problem and a disproportionate number of transgenders are mentally ill.

These should be part of the discussion, if nothing else than to offer indisputable evidence to the contrary.  Certain people cant even deal with it, label it hate speech, and retreat to their safe spaces and/or groupthink discussion forums for affirmation of their beliefs.  

Burgold and LKB bring up the fair point that the right does it, too.  Its a real problem with our society, nobody wants discussion.  Youre just a bigot or a racist or a Trump supporter or a pinko commie if you:

Would rather not have your daughter share a bathroom with a pre-op dudette named Darryl

Think that the left is in absolute hysterics and risk public numbness to their outrage, and have done a HORRIBLE job picking their battles

Think that corporations pay their management far more than they should

Think that the majority of people on third base were born there and dont deserve admiration

Think that Milo Doucheopolous should be engaged and debated wherever he shows up

Think that Lena Dunham is an extraordinarily unattractive personality

Think that liberals are raging hypocrites on religion

Etc.

None of these thoughts can even be brought up without TryTheBeal absolutely ****ting his pants and TEG calling you a bigot and aRedskin ranting about communist assholes.

We live in a more compartmentalized society than ever before and its getting worse.  And i tjink what we are seeing is a fertile ground for extremism in several forms...

PEOPLE across all groups have a tolerance problem. Islam itself, like any other religion is a social construct that gets internalized and enmeshed within each persons unique character and then expresses itself within the bounds of that character. Islam has avenues for tolerance and it can be twisted and gerrymandered towards oppression and xenophobia just like Christianity and Judaism. All three iterations of the Abrahamic faith are primitive, binary and carry these flaws. Why? Because humans are primitive and binary without concentrated effort, and become especially so, when emotional intensity pulls you away from nuance towards an extreme that is either attractive or repulsive. Humanity's understanding and application of spirituality and morality, like many other things, need an update and evolution. There is an energy cost that comes with maintaining a level of "quantum" cognition, that many humans fail to consistently display. Hopefully, we can survive as a species long enough, to improve upon that.

In regards to your assertion of a disproportionate number of transgendered being mentally ill, first I'd have to see what information you have backing up such a statement. But, either way marginalized groups across all swaths of humanity show signs of mental distress when they're identity is invalidated by large sub-sections of society and face a pervasive threat of oppression by choosing to openly display who they choose to be. That reality is not an excuse to demonize a whole section of people, or paint them as a danger. Just like, sympathy towards a given marginalized group should not be used to cover up or shroud areas where people within a group can improve and find ways to better assimilate and contribute to a society and be accountable, while still protecting their individual choice of identity and sense of internal cohesion.

Maybe you don't realize how you yourself sabotage any discussion before it even starts, because you make the same mistakes over and over again of marginalizing the people that are at the core of these discussions. How about you show some self-awareness, handle your initial bias, bring yourself back to  center, acknowledge nuance, diversity within groups, allow for the content of a person's character to be a factor, and THEN start your discussion? Limit the antagonism that you complain about so much from whatever "other side" happens to come into play within a given discussion.

You want people to be adults and deal with these issues in a way where actual solutions can be presented? Then be the change and exercise emotional control, then lead from there. Be the person with enough cognitive ability to see that all these problems we have, from whatever group, are HUMAN problems, that then express in whatever particular flavor of a group that person belongs to.

Kinda surprised that no one seized on that clip before.  In a day and age where everything gets blown up and scrutinized to the billionth degree, it's hard to believe that a 16 year old girl from Canada remembered a piece of a podcast where Milo made a case for child molestation.  What, no one else heard it and was outraged?  Hell, the girl didn't seem to care all that much when she heard it, it took her 7 months or so to bring it to everyone's attention, and only when she thought it could serve a purpose.

Don't get it twisted, Milo is a piece of **** and I'm glad he's gone.   The landscape is better without him.  I just find it interesting on how it went down.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived