Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFLPA will tell FAs to NOT sign with Bears if Illinois passes Worker's Comp bill

Bang

Wow.
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1223606

As a decision looms on a bill that would limit workers' compensation in Illinois, it appears NFL players could be encouraged to reconsider their willingness to play for the only team in the state.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith explained in an appearance on the "Spiegel and Parkins Show" on Friday that he would tell free agents not to sign with the Chicago Bears if the bill passes.

"I will tell you from the bottom of my heart that this union will tell every potential free-agent player, if this bill passes, to not come to the Bears," Smith said. "Because, think about it, if you're a free-agent player and you have an opportunity to go play somewhere else where you can get lifetime medical for the injury you're going to have, isn't a smarter financial decision to go to a team where a bill like this hasn't passed?"

Most workers in the state of Illinois can claim workers' comp benefits until the age of 67. The bill in question proposes to end disability benefits for professional athletes at 35.

Smith explained that such a regulation would impact injury care for retired athletes, and called out Bears ownership for its support of the proposal.

Click link above for more.

~Dang

• 2 weeks later...

NFL should threaten they'll move the Browns there! 

But really, the league shouldn't get involved in politics, but this is something where they should step in on behalf of the NFLPA and make a statement they will support the effort to make sure this bill does not even see the light of day. They won't do that since secretly they're hoping it will eventually pass the bill so they can save some money down the road. 

This is a major concern that the team supports the bill. Other owners should be publicly lambasting them.

14 hours ago, ncr2h said:

What's stopping a player from requiring his agent to include lifetime disability benefits in the contract that he signs with the Bears?  I don't understand this at all.

That shouldn't have to be a negotiable item. Since the ownership is supporting this bill, who's to say it would get thrown in? The people it hurts the most are the non-superstars, eg. the middle and lower class of the NFL.

Isn't it the NFL, and not the States, that offer their employees medical care when their injured? Is there no veteran medical plan for when players retire, funded by the NFL/NFLPA? I figured the NFL itself pays for this, and it wouldn't be up to the states to determine eligibility.

Archived