Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where Is The Big Boy Football We Were Promised?

Veryoldschool

13 hours ago, MartinC said:

We ran it 30 times in a win against the Giants.

We ran it 26 times in a win against the Browns

We ran it 20 times in a win against the Ravens

We ran it 32 times in a win against the Eagles.

Theyve done it the last 4 weeks. Week in week out. We have the horses up front to continue to do it provided the coaches don't get cute and we don't fall behind in games.

Defensively I still worry about our ability to stop the run against a team that really commits to it though.

Yeah, it concerns me that the offensive line problems for New York, Baltimore and Philly led to more negative plays for them which affected their ability to commit to the run.  That's not taking anything away from our D - they did what they should against shaky olines - I just worry that our D was made to look better than they truly are.

The bright side is that the D players seem to understand they need to focus on doing their job/executing (play within the scheme).  Concensus seems to be that players were trying too hard in the first two games/losses.  The lack of gap discipline and easy passes into vacated zones seems to back this up.  I'll add that if the D can continue to play under control, tackle well and get back to forcing turnovers (as we did last year and early this year), they could be a huge help in winning games.  

One last thing.  If this D keeps it up, Cousins is going to feel a lot less pressure to score on every drive and is more liable to take what the defense gives him.  We've seen him force a few throws and hold the ball a bit longer than he should (and not throw it away at times).  Obviously the run game can help him quite a bit too if they continue their production.

23 hours ago, MartinC said:

IMO Moses is the relative weak link. He's generally playing good football and is a good starting RT but he is weak with his hands in pass protection and upright when he run blocks. 

So true.

But that also tells about the state of our OL that is really good right now, because Moses is still a pretty fine RT.

The team has been becoming more balanced by running more and playing better defense but is still making too many mistakes with fumbles and penalties.  The Skins negated their chances to beat Detroit with penalties and fumbles in addition to a sad sack last possession performance by the defense. The Redskin's to step it up now and play a disciplined, clean game in London and set the tone for the rest of the season.  A key to successfully playing ball hogging big boy football is playing disciplined penalty free ball and that is what we need to see in London.  HTTR

Mind you we haven't been making that many penalties lately @Veryoldschool

4/20 against the Lions (4/30 for them)

9/75 against the Eagles (13/114 for them)

4/46 against the Ravens (9/65 for them)

9/75 against the Browns (7/101 for them)

8/70 against the Giants (11/128 for them)

8/51 against the Cowboys (6/39 against them)

9/55 against the Steelers (4/81 against them).

We're playing a better mistake free game since the Ravens. And only once have we been for longer distance than our opponent in a game, that was against the Cowboys. Other teams are always penalized for more than us. As a fact, we're second in terms of beneficiary yardage throughout penalties.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

• 2 months later...

The season is over so now I go back to what concerned me at the start of 2016, where is the physical team Scot said he was going to build.  He didn't use his top picks to improve the OL or DL in 2016, I hope he does in 2016 after watching the Skins get pushed around by Pittsburgh, Dallas twice, New York, Cleveland and others.  The 2016 Skins were a finesse team just like 2015.  Scot needs to speed the top picks on OL & DL because the current OL can't run block well enough for the coaches to even try it in the red zone and the front 7 gets blown off the ball routinely by physical lines and doesn't put enough pressure on quarterbacks. 

Archived