Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stranger Things on Netflix

Springfield

Loved Season 2. It was better than Season 1 IMO.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I’m a bit leery about this becoming Netflix’s flagship show now that House or Cards is done.  It’s a great show, don’t get me wrong, but it isn’t epic, it isn’t serious and it doesn’t have any big name actors (who will later turn out to be gay sexual harassers).  It could ruin Netflix like TWD ruined AMC.

I don't think the no big name actor is a big deal. Game of Thrones doesn't have any either(maybe Sean Bean but well...yeah).

The all time great shows create their own big names and I think Stranger Things is doing just that.

Thrones had Dinklage and Sean Bean who were the only two anybody could recognize and probably didn’t know their names anyway. 

ST has Winona at least. 

But 11(Millie Bobby Brown) is going to be a huge star imo. Watch her in some interviews. She’s incredible. 

Loved this moment too: 

48 minutes ago, Destino said:

I loved season 2, but 9 episodes a year just isn't enough for me.  I need more! 

As for the lost sister episode, I thought that was put in to set the stage for a possible season three plot line.  It didn't just establish the existence of another gifted child, it suggested that Dr. Martin Brenner (aka Papa) is still alive.  

I agree it will setup future events. I understand the idea that it hurt the momentum of episode 7 ending at the lab but I liked it switching gears. Then we got the awesome 11 is coming back moment to swing into the finale 

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I agree it will setup future events. I understand the idea that it hurt the momentum of episode 7 ending at the lab but I liked it switching gears. Then we got the awesome 11 is coming back moment to swing into the finale 

People worry too much about momentum, well told stories require back story and slower portions.  They're often annoying at the moment, just like when you hit a few slow chapters in a book, but they should only be judged when you've finished the thing and can judge the work as a whole.  11's adventure in Gotham was a necessary transition for her character.  Before that she lacked an identity, both figuratively and literally, of her own.  That all started to change when she set off on her own.  She found family, she found someone like her, and for the first time chose where she wanted to be and why she wanted to be there. 

Also where is the love for Bob the brain?  I haven't seen him mentioned.  Bob wasn't tough and probably couldn't even throw a punch, but he did his best and went out a hero.

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

I’m a bit leery about this becoming Netflix’s flagship show now that House or Cards is done.  It’s a great show, don’t get me wrong, but it isn’t epic, it isn’t serious and it doesn’t have any big name actors (who will later turn out to be gay sexual harassers).  It could ruin Netflix like TWD ruined AMC.

I'm not sure they have a flagship show.  If you're worried about serious dramas though, they still have Narcos and Ozark.  Both are excellent. 

10 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I was initially kinda annoyed by Bob but he really grew on me. He was a genuine good guy and cared about them. I don’t know why he seemed a little off at first but he was a great addition to the script and Astin to the cast. 

I think they tried to make people think that Bob had some ulterior motives, he was a little too good to be true and I definitely felt that he was a little too over the top wholesome to be that good, that he was a creep or something.  Nah, Bob was just a good dude.  Great casting call to get Sean Astin in there, I agree.  

I also liked Paul Reiser as the doctor, he did pretty well, too.

Too lazy to read the thread, so apologies if someone else mentioned all this. I just binge watched two seasons, a few thoughts

1.  This is The Goonies meets ET, but a large homage to It too, imo

2.  I can tell the Duffer Bros loved the 80s, but didnt grow up in them.  There were a few things that were just NQR.  That said, i love the retro candy wrappers and soda cans.  Great job overall with the setting

3.  Season 1 antagonist was a person and institution.  Season 2 shifted to where the monsters were 100 percent the antagonist.  I think everyone was waiting for Sean Astin and paul reiser to turn evil, but they never did.  Curious where season 3 will go in this regard

4.  I never did fully get why they introduced billy hargrove and his sister.  Their entir plot contribution seemed to be to catch viewers up to speed who didnt watch season 1.

5.  I read an article about the water theory.  Pretty sure this series will end up Signs 2.0

Good series overall.  Love the homage to the 80s... i was those kids age in 1984, so it really brings back memories

I loved both seasons. They do a reasonable job of tying d&d in without overdoing it and boring people who don't play, but also without dumbing it down and butchering it which would ruin the fun of a tie-in.

The dance scene was cute, but my favorite was actually the car ride with El and Hopper. 

I always have a bit of an issue with shows that set up an Impossibly Powerful Otherworldly Evil as the enemy, but that's not really ST's fault. 

Archived