Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Britain's EU referendum campaigns suspended as lawmaker critically injured in attack

visionary

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-politics-attack-idUSKCN0Z21LS?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Britain's EU referendum campaigns suspended as lawmaker critically injured in attack

A British Member of Parliament was in critical condition after being shot and stabbed in her constituency in northern England on Thursday, British police and media reports said, prompting the suspension of campaigning for next week's EU referendum.

Jo Cox, 41, a lawmaker for the opposition Labour Party and vocal supporter of Britain remaining in the European Union, was attacked as she prepared to hold a meeting with constituents in Birstall near Leeds.

West Yorkshire Police said a 52-year-old man had been arrested by armed police and that a woman in her 40s had suffered serious injuries. Police did not give any further details of the attack.

"Utterly shocked by the news of the attack on Jo Cox," Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn said on Twitter. "The thoughts of the whole Labour Party are with her and her family at this time."

British lawmakers are not in parliament ahead of next week's referendum on whether Britain should remain in the European Union.

The rival referendum campaign groups said they were suspending activities for the day and Prime Minister David Cameron said he would pull out of a planned rally in Gibraltar, the British territory on the southern coast of Spain.

"It's right that all campaigning has been stopped after the terrible attack on Jo Cox," he said on Twitter.

A man in his late 40s to early 50s also suffered slight injuries in the incident, police said. BBC radio reported that Cox, who is married with two children, had been taken by air ambulance to a nearby hospital.

One witness told Sky News that Cox had intervened in a scuffle between two men, one of whom had pulled a gun from a bag which had then been fired twice.

"I saw people rushing down the road towards the library. I came out with a couple of people from the restaurant ... we saw a man wearing a dirty white baseball cap with gray jacket start jostling with somebody," said Hichem Ben-Abdallah.

"All of a sudden this guy pulls a gun ... it looked like a First World War gun or makeshift gun, not the sort of gun you see normally. He fired the first shot then I ran away and then we heard the second shot."

BBC TV and other media showed a picture of the alleged suspect, a balding white man, being apprehended by police.

https://twitter.com/sewellchan/status/743477064657952773

Jo Cox MP has died from attack, according to the West Yorkshire police.
12:15 PM

>Mr Abdallah, 56, was in a cafe next door to the library shortly after 13:00 BST when he heard screaming and went outside.

"There was a guy who was being very brave and another guy with a white baseball cap who he was trying to control and the man in the baseball cap suddenly pulled a gun from his bag".

After a brief scuffle, he said the man stepped back and the MP became involved.

Mr Abdallah said the weapon had "looked handmade" and a man who had been wrestling with the gunman continued even after seeing the gun.

He said: "The man stepped back with the gun and fired it and then he fired a second shot, as he was firing he was looking down at the ground."

"He was kicking her as she was lying on the floor", he said.

Some reports that he was screaming "Britain first" but that hasn't been confirmed

I guess we needed that.  Just in case we thought that America was the only place that sad crap like this happens.   :(

The propensity for humans to be utter ****bags transcends geographical location, age, gender, race, everything.

Senseless and just so very sad. My thoughts are with her family.

Terribly shocking incident taking the life of a wife, a mother and a real caring soul to her constituents. 

Seemingly killed for her opposing political views over this debate. You seriously have to wonder what goes through individuals minds like this to have such depth of hatred to take a good life so senselessly. 

God rest. Here's hoping the Country does the right thing next Thursday. At this moment I can't think of anything more fitting. 

And on such a tragic day, step forward this despicable POS, the leader of the equally despicable British National Party, who's rhetoric manifesto is straight out of Mein Kampf:

ClFhmLoXIAAE3Xl.jpg

Who then goes on to back track with: 

Follow 

Just heard Jo Cox has indeed died. That is very sad & a dark day for Britain. Let's hope all agree to keep this tragedy our of the campaign.

•  
  •  
  •  

YOU brought it to your campaign you low life POS! When you're prepared to stoop so low, it's no wonder easily influenced and dissatisfied people are filled with such hatred. (Not that I'm in any way inferring the killer was influenced by Griffin. Just speaking in general terms in case his lawyers are reading. Sue me!). 

Two sides of the spectrum of a good life and a worthless one in action over a tragic event. 

Hail. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/my-fearless-friend-jo-cox-a-five-foot-bundle-of-yorkshire-grit/

My fearless friend Jo Cox, a five-foot bundle of Yorkshire grit

Jo Cox was a force of nature, a five-foot bundle of Yorkshire grit and determination absolutely committed to helping other people.

I first met her shortly after she came into the House of Commons for the first time last year. She came to see me to talk about international development, the issue she’d done so much work on.

She said she wanted to set up a new parliamentary group to talk about Syria and the appalling situation there.

What was so striking about that was that here was a newly-elected Labour MP who had so little time for the petty aspects of party-political life of Westminster.

She was fearless, utterly fearless. Last year, we went to see the Russian ambassador in London, to give him a rollicking about the terrible way his country has behaved in Syria.

He’s a professional diplomat and a pretty tough case. But Jo got the better of him: it was her mixture of charm and steel.

The best word I can think of for her is ballsy. The ambassador just didn’t know what to make of her, and she left him looking quite discomforted.

Her great passion in politics was helping the poorest people in the world.

I have no doubt that if Jo had lived, her talent and determination would have taken her to the Cabinet one day, presumably in development or foreign affairs. She’d have done a great job.

Jo grew up in the constituency she represented, and she was committed to the place and the people. She was Yorkshire through and through.

It really is horribly unusual for MPs to be in danger from the public.

And Jo was the last one you would ever have thought would ever be at risk, because she was such a lovely, kind person.

It’s hard to believe that someone so brave and fearless and fun is dead, but the hardest thing to think about is her two lovely little children. They would come in to Portcullis House for tea with their mum, and now she’s gone.

Archived