Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Projection of Opening 2016 53 Player Roster (three open slots)

Twelfth man

That defensive battle is going to be the most fun we've had in the preseason since Pat White.

Hopefully this one turns out better.

There are several vets who we've forgotten about that are in the 90 man as well. Toler is going to give it a good run and Bruton at Safety I still have high hopes for.

I think Toler is going to be a guy, that if he doesn't make it, he's going to be a first phone call type of a dude in the case of an injury.

Good post, skinny.

Thanks, and good call on Toler (knew I forgot someone there!).

If he can play inside and out, then I think he makes the most sense as I only see Fuller as our real viable option in the slot. I mean, Breeland and Norman could play it, but I'd prefer leaving them outside. Dunbar I see as a pure outside guy. Jarrett's versatility (especially with his slot play) may be missed, but I think we're in ok shape without him (little worried about backup safety, but ya' can't win 'em all).

Honestly, I don't know if it's just me but I swear, Training Camp/Preseason feels like the most fun part of the season for me. 

It's not as intense so there's no anxiety involved, and it's a ton of fun seeing who emerges unexpectedly. Or just seeing who looks really good.

Maybe it's the fact that for years it was our last gasp of unbridled optimism coupled with seeing the players actually play before the season would start and all hope would be lost. :lol:

But I think it's more than that. There's something about the combination of the "newness" of it all, the end of built up anticipation during the offseason, and the excitement of seeing potential stars emerge before anyone else knows about them that is really special.

And I feel like we say this every year, but just looking at the last few posts made me realize just how much competition there's going to be. It's really something how far this roster has come already.  

QB-Kirk, Colt, Studfeld

RB-Jones, CT, Thomas, Marshall

TE- Reed, Davis, Paul (carrier on Pup), Paulson

WR- Garcon, DJax, Doctson, Jamo, Ross

OT- Trent, Moses, Takoby

OG/C- Arie, Scherff,Long, Reiter, Ribs

Hogs Haven has made its 53 player opening day roster prediction:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2016/5/11/11655774/redskins-53-man-roster-prediction

It differs in the following ways:

On offense, both Niles Paul and Logan Paulsen and 5 WRs make the roster for Hogs Haven; I thought only one of those two TEs would make the roster and the team would retain a 6th WR (Ryan Grant) instead.  For the offensive line, Hogs Haven has Josh LeRibeus making the team in lieu of Kory Lichtensteiger.

On defense, Hogs Haven has Corey Crawford, Martrell Spaight, Kyshoen Jarrett, Quinton Dunbar and Deshazor Everett making the team instead of Ziggy Hood, Terence Garvin, Greg Toler and Duke Ihenacho.  I had Kyshoen Jarrett starting the season on the PUP list with Dunbar or Everett or CFA making the final roster spot, depending on DB and special teams contributions.

I like most of their list, but I think Crawford starts on the PS and Nacho is definitely making it. Jarrett is not playing this year.

I could see Compton and Riley starting at ILB. They have Foster, but Compton is better and knows the defense. Riley is a better hammer.

I could also see them listing Cravens at ILB, to make room for Toler and I think Garvin makes it and Daniels is PS.

Damn, we have a lot of depth. I don't love every starter, but there is a big log jam of talent. 

I like most of their list, but I think Crawford starts on the PS and Nacho is definitely making it. Jarrett is not playing this year.

I could see Compton and Riley starting at ILB. They have Foster, but Compton is better and knows the defense. Riley is a better hammer.

I could also see them listing Cravens at ILB, to make room for Toler and I think Garvin makes it and Daniels is PS.

Damn, we have a lot of depth. I don't love every starter, but there is a big log jam of talent.

Agree with all the above, although I'm hopeful Daniels makes it... I'm afraid he's another guy that could get poached like Mitchell last year. As to the depth - man, I wish they'd just go ahead and up the roster limits a bit - I think it would help the integrity of the game by keeping things a bit more competitive when injuries occur.

On defense I'm going...

DL - 7 - RJF, Paea, Baker, Murphy, Ioannidis, Hood, Golston

LB - 9 - Kerrigan, Galette, Foster, Compton, Spaight, Daniels, Hayward, Garvin, Smith

S - 4 - DHall, Bruton, Nacho, Cravens

CB - 5 - Bash, JNorman, Fuller, Dunbar, Blackmon

- I think Garvin, Spaight, Hayward all make the 53.  Their ST play puts them over the top for me.

- I give Blackmon an edge over Toler because of his experience in the system and his versatility.  I give Dunbar an edge over Toler because of his upside.

- I like Carrington, but think he winds up on the PS.  Although rarely mentioned here, I also like Geno Matias-Smith as a prospect.  I give him a punchers chance to make the PS because I think we are thin at Safety.

- I like Corey Crawford's chances to unseat a guy like Hood on the DL.  His work ethic was certainly questioned coming out of Clemson.  However, I would like to point out to those questioning if he's a 'Scot' type player or not.  One, Scot signed him.  Two, he's still here.  That tells me that he's done what was asked of him.  We shall see.

Our special teams played quite well without Hayward last year. While I understand the value he brings there, I'm not sure it's enough to go with the (injury prone?) vet over a young guy... unless Hayward clearly beats them out of course (at the position). We already have three vets at ILB, I'd rather the last 1 or 2 ILBs be filled with youth/potential.

Just for reference, Hayward's gonna be 32 next month.

Our special teams played quite well without Hayward last year. While I understand the value he brings there, I'm not sure it's enough to go with the (injury prone?) vet over a young guy... unless Hayward clearly beats them out of course (at the position). We already have three vets at ILB, I'd rather the last 1 or 2 ILBs be filled with youth/potential.

This thinking is a way Daniels makes it in my mind.  They seem to like him and he understands that ST is his best way on the field.  With Niles Paul back and Bruton, I think having some young thumper is a good thing.

There is talk Sudfield looks like he plays the part but is raw.  I think he'd be easier to hide on the PS than Daniels. 

I agree with your theory, but I think Spaight and Daniels represent the youth that you're talking about.  I like Houston Bates, but I don't think he's worthy of a roster spot.  After Bates, I'm not sure who is worth considering (other than Daniels and Spaight) as a young ILB.  

I could see us keeping a vet like Toler and cutting Hayward, which would give us more flexibility/depth in the secondary.  

I agree that our ST played well last year.  However, I think keeping Hayward (plus adding Garvin, Paul) would really turn our ST/coverage/return units into a strength.  In my opinion, that would be more beneficial to our team this year than the other younger options that we have at ILB.   

As you mentioned, there is an injury concern with Hayward.  This whole discussion is moot if he can't stay on the field. :)

This thinking is a way Daniels makes it in my mind. They seem to like him and he understands that ST is his best way on the field. With Niles Paul back and Bruton, I think having some young thumper is a good thing.

There is talk Sudfield looks like he plays the part but is raw. I think he'd be easier to hide on the PS than Daniels.

Yep, agree about Daniels, and I'd think Sudfeld would be safe (to make it to the PS) unless he looks great in preseason.

I agree with your theory, but I think Spaight and Daniels represent the youth that you're talking about. I like Houston Bates, but I don't think he's worthy of a roster spot. After Bates, I'm not sure who is worth considering (other than Daniels and Spaight) as a young ILB.

I could see us keeping a vet like Toler and cutting Hayward, which would give us more flexibility/depth in the secondary.

I agree that our ST played well last year. However, I think keeping Hayward (plus adding Garvin, Paul) would really turn our ST/coverage/return units into a strength. In my opinion, that would be more beneficial to our team this year than the other younger options that we have at ILB. As you mentioned, there is an injury concern with Hayward. This whole discussion is moot if he can't stay on the field. :)

Agree with all this except for one thing - Bates is an OLB and Hayward is an ILB. So, originally I was thinking I'd rather keep Daniels/Spaight/Garvin than Hayward (which is why I responded as I did), but we're actually in agreement.

I don't think Bates is a lock, but at the moment I don't see anyone really threatening him for the 4th OLB spot, though it's too early to tell what we have in Jefferson and the others. I really liked Bates when he got in the game last year, but I don't really have that much of a feel for him - at OLB or on teams.

Archived