Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Tom Brady's four-game suspension reinstated

Audible_Red40

14 hours ago, RedskinsMayne said:

why wouldn't I be serious? I am seriously serious. It's pathetic. The patriots should have their fines removed and picks reinstated, and goodell should personally apologize to Tom Brady. The Patriots might not be my favorite team, but you have to admire what they've accomplished. 

Its easy because they are winning, but the patriots are one of the teams i root for besides they skins, not that they need it.

Apologize for what? 

31 minutes ago, grego said:

I'll be specific because I'm fascinated by this. 

Are you saying Brady didn't either deflate the balls or have anything to do with it? 

I think what he was saying was that the Steelers were supposedly caught doing the same thing vs the Giants. Yet you haven't heard much at all from the NFL about it.

From my side, I've always thought it was a non-story to begin with. Whether he had any knowledge of it or not, is a moot point. The guy has proven time and time again that it doesn't matter if the balls are deflated, or properly inflated, he's still going to play MVP-level football. The entire scandal is idiotic. 

2 hours ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

I think what he was saying was that the Steelers were supposedly caught doing the same thing vs the Giants. Yet you haven't heard much at all from the NFL about it.

From my side, I've always thought it was a non-story to begin with. Whether he had any knowledge of it or not, is a moot point. The guy has proven time and time again that it doesn't matter if the balls are deflated, or properly inflated, he's still going to play MVP-level football. The entire scandal is idiotic. 

The Giants claimed that they tested a couple of footballs and said they were below the minimum PSI. There was quite a bit more to deflategate. 

Now what you're saying with Brady is that it doesn't matter if he was involved in deflating balls because he has shown that he is an excellent player regardless.

So, elite players can cheat, and thats OK, because they are good even if they don't. 

That's a bit ridiculous. That's why his ability or lack thereof shouldn't have anything to do with it. 

Far from a 'moot point', whether or not he was involved in deflating balls is the only point. 

The fact that he plays for the Patriots makes it even more necessary that the NFL investigate, given their history.

16 minutes ago, grego said:

The Giants claimed that they tested a couple of footballs and said they were below the minimum PSI. There was quite a bit more to deflategate. 

Now what you're saying with Brady is that it doesn't matter if he was involved in deflating balls because he has shown that he is an excellent player regardless.

So, elite players can cheat, and thats OK, because they are good even if they don't. 

That's a bit ridiculous. That's why his ability or lack thereof shouldn't have anything to do with it. 

Far from a 'moot point', whether or not he was involved in deflating balls is the only point. 

The fact that he plays for the Patriots makes it even more necessary that the NFL investigate, given their history.

I'm saying the amount of air in the balls is a moot point, period---regardless of who's throwing them. Aaron Rodgers likes MORE air in the balls than normal. It's all about feel. It isn't "cheating". It's a ridiculous scandal the NFL brought on, that didn't need to be. Furthermore, what did they expect to happen when they allow teams access to the footballs. They could have simply changed their protocol for who handles the balls, and kept it moving.

You're saying because some players like more air their footballs and some like less, and the fact that the NFL didn't do enough to prevent anyone from making the balls harder or softer  according to their preferences- then, even though the NFL doesn't allow teams or individuals to alter the balls, the NFL should let teams alter the balls. 

Again, we'll disagree. 

Individual preference concerning a footballs psi is a different subject matter than whether or not they tampered with them, which is still against the rules. When players break the rules, the NFL has to deal with it. 

If the players want the ability to inflate or deflate balls to their liking, they should bring it up at the next collective bargaining meeting. Until then, they have to play with balls that are within the current limits. 

3 hours ago, grego said:

You're saying because some players like more air their footballs and some like less, and the fact that the NFL didn't do enough to prevent anyone from making the balls harder or softer  according to their preferences- then, even though the NFL doesn't allow teams or individuals to alter the balls, the NFL should let teams alter the balls. 

Again, we'll disagree. 

Individual preference concerning a footballs psi is a different subject matter than whether or not they tampered with them, which is still against the rules. When players break the rules, the NFL has to deal with it. 

If the players want the ability to inflate or deflate balls to their liking, they should bring it up at the next collective bargaining meeting. Until then, they have to play with balls that are within the current limits. 

I'm saying the NFL botched the whole thing. They made a mountain out of a molehill. You probably aren't aware of this. But in the very game the officials were tipped off about the balls (Colts playoff game), Brady didn't play very well in the first half (with supposedly deflated balls). And in the second half (with properly inflated balls), he destroyed the Colts.

And, of course, he later went on to win the Super Bowl (properly inflated balls), garnering MVP honors, in typical Brady fashion. 

You take all that into account, and then you wonder why in the hell Goodell would choose to keep proceeding with the whole ridiculous deflategate nonsense. It benefitted NO ONE for him to put the face of the NFL through that BS. When all he should have done is fine the Patriots, and then get more strict about who handles the game balls. That's it. And the whole thing would have went away, and Goodell wouldn't look like such a fool, for the following reasons: 1. Brady is the front runner for MVP, despite missing 4 games. 2. Goodell does nothing when another team is caught doing the very same thing (or suspected of it, anyway).

You're still basing your opinion about Brady upon his performance- the fact that he played well with regulation balls as well as with soft balls- rather than whether or not he's actually more likely than not to be guilty of deflating the footballs, which is still against the rules. 

You're still saying you can break rules if you're good when you're not breaking rules, which I think is a bad precedent. 

It appears that the Patriots got the hammer for two things - the fact that they got caught cheating before and got a slap on the wrist while it was essentially swept under the rug (much to the chagrin of the other 31 owners - well, 30 plus the packers), and the fact that Brady stopped cooperating when things got hot. 

The text messages left no doubt that Brady was on on it. 31 teams were not about to let Goodell let that go, even if Brady played well with regulation footballs. 

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Deflate-gate was a joke. The NFL dropped the ball trying to make an example out of Brady for God knows why and per the usual, Goodell only made himself look like an incompetent jackass in the process. 

But did Brady - or his boys- deflate balls? 

There's no question about the answer to that question. So, what should Goodell have done? 

47 minutes ago, grego said:

But did Brady - or his boys- deflate balls? 

There's no question about the answer to that question. So, what should Goodell have done? 

I don't think it's that obvious an answer

honestly and doesn't confirm that those balls from game in question had been tampered with. 

And they never would have gotten to those texts if not for the unwarranted and ridiculous witch hunt to begin with 

9 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don't think it's that obvious an answer

honestly and doesn't confirm that those balls from game in question had been tampered with. 

And they never would have gotten to those texts if not for the unwarranted and ridiculous witch hunt to begin with 

i'm not sure how anyone could look at the texts and come away with any other explanation. they were so damning, the best excuse for mcnally referring to himself as 'the deflator' was that he was losing weight. pretty bad would be an understatement. 

http://time.com/3849688/deflategate-text-messages-patriots-tom-brady/

hatred for goodell is the only reason one comes up with the 'brady is innocent' stance. but it shouldnt be- one can hate goodell and think hes a terrible commissioner and still understand that brady was deflating balls. theyre not mutually exclusive. 

the reason the nfl had to at least investigate the patriots was their own fault. they got caught videotaping practices and the nfl did practically nothing. theres just no way the other owners were letting that happen again. and the nfl cant be seen as turning a blind eye to violations of rules that are seen as cheating. if they do, people will lose interest. 

• 2 months later...

Brady's still smiling :) along with all the Patriot fans.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/saints-trade-wr-brandin-cooks-to-patriots-for-1st-and-3rd-round-picks/ar-AAo7Ou2?li=BBnb7Kz

Drew Brees will head into 2017 without his top receiver on the roster. The New Orleans Saints have traded Brandin Cooks — who led the team in receiving yards in 2015 and 2016 — along with a fourth-round pick to the New England Patriots in exchange for first- and third-round picks.

Cooks left his mark as one of the league’s fastest wideouts in his three seasons in New Orleans. The diminutive receiver torched defenses for 17 touchdowns and more than 2,300 yards the last two seasons, but also expressed displeasure with the team after failing to earn a target in a Week 12 blowout win over the Los Angeles Rams. That allowed trade rumors to begin swirling as early as last December, though head coach Sean Payton vehemently denied them.

The Saints reconsidered after finishing 7-9 and missing the playoffs for the third straight season. While Cooks is entering his prime as a receiver, New Orleans has a sure-handed replacement to take his spot atop the depth chart. Michael Thomas had an eye-opening rookie season in 2016, catching 92 passes for 1,137 yards and nine touchdowns. While he isn’t the dynamic deep threat Cooks is, his 6’3 frame makes him a more dangerous red zone target.

The Patriots will hope Cooks’ emergence as a top-ten receiver with one future Hall of Famer carries over to his time with Tom Brady. Brees has turned several average prospects into Pro Bowl invitees thanks to his uncanny ability to find open targets downfield, but Brady has done the same. By making this trade, New England is hoping Cooks won’t have a Kenny Stills-type downturn after leaving the friendly confines of the Superdome.

• 4 months later...
On 12/19/2016 at 8:28 AM, grego said:

i'm not sure how anyone could look at the texts and come away with any other explanation. they were so damning, the best excuse for mcnally referring to himself as 'the deflator' was that he was losing weight. pretty bad would be an understatement. 

http://time.com/3849688/deflategate-text-messages-patriots-tom-brady/

hatred for goodell is the only reason one comes up with the 'brady is innocent' stance. but it shouldnt be- one can hate goodell and think hes a terrible commissioner and still understand that brady was deflating balls. theyre not mutually exclusive. 

the reason the nfl had to at least investigate the patriots was their own fault. they got caught videotaping practices and the nfl did practically nothing. theres just no way the other owners were letting that happen again. and the nfl cant be seen as turning a blind eye to violations of rules that are seen as cheating. if they do, people will lose interest. 

Text messages are so damning? What about this exchange?

Jastremski: I checked some of the balls this morn… The refs ****** us…a few of then were at almost 16

Jastremski: They didnt recheck then after they put air in them

McNally: **** tom …16 is nothing…wait till next sunday

So that was a home game, and the balls would up being 16 psi? Some conspiracy to deflate footballs And also it shows just how "important" the psi levels really were to the NFL prior to this horse **** of a fraud filled "investigation"

So basically there were 6 conversations between McNally and Jastremski over a multi year period and they are damning?

There was no evidence of ball tampering. So much so they NFL and Exponent had to make stuff up to make it seem like there was.

Archived