Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forbes:We Are Seeing The Effects Of The Minimum Wage Rise In San Francisco

Redskins3D

All good, my post was vague.

I'm with you though. Part of me worries that logic used here is like going to fill up you tank and seeing that it costs five cents more per gallon this week and blaming it on an increase in the minimum wage while ignoring the cost of price per barrel.

Looking at only salary may be a very poor indicator of pricing changes.

I said that 90% of the jobs at Walmart can't be done by a touch screen. Yeah, I pulled that number out of my ***. It's probably more like 99%.

I worked at Walmart for a year and a half as a Supervisor. I'll get back to you on that number. ;) Though I will say that their distribution centers could possibly follow Amazon's lead. Man they're a disaster. 

I know I'm kind of only contributing based on a tangential part of the subject, but back to the robots thing...

Disney is putting a lot of R&D into developing 'interactive robots.' The basic idea is to create robots that interact with people in human like ways.

(that was 2 1/2 years ago)

It's easy to see how this sort of thing can replace the people that walk the parks... or, specific to the thread, people that assist in getting items off shelves at walmart, or that direct customers to where items are.

The untested part of the equation is - how will people react to this sort of thing? I think it's fair to say some will find it neat and interesting, and (if you're like me) you may find you get better service (our walmart is terrible... the people there are the least helpful i've ever run into in a store... and they want more money? hah.) But there will definitely be people who find it weird, people that don't like it for whatever reason (valid or invalid.) The question is - will it drive business away?

It's untested because we have very few real life examples of this sort of thing in play in business, and I don't know of any place that's actually gone full scale that way. It's mostly just R&D work at this time. Just thought I'd mention it. Warehouse robots aren't the only ones being developed to replace cheap labor.

It's unclear, at Chipotle you get charged based on your meat choice.  But not everyone gets meat (vegetarian burrito, quesadillas) so it's unclear.

Well, if your opinion is that the OP doesn't actually say anything general, about the effects of a MW increase, then I actually agree with you.

I think it's TRYING to say things about the effects of a MW increase. But I certainly agree that it really doesn't SAY much of anything.

Archived