Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we cut Bruce Smith?

Redskinjoe

The fact that he was stuck to Flozell like flypaper Sunday is reason enough to get rid of him. To have him complain about not starting and not being able to achieve his personal goals when he hasn't done much all year is the final nail in his coffin.

Sure he's frustrated, just like everyone else, but you don't blame the coaching staff for your inability to put pressure on the QB.

Stick a fork in him. He's done.

This thread caused me to look at the salaries for next year:

http://home.earthlink.net/~wahoofamily/salary04.htm

Very good stuff, props to Buddha for putting that together.

Here are some highlights:

Dead Money:

DT Dan Wilkinson: $3.94 million

High Salaries:

LaVar Arrington

Signing Bonus (SB):$10.75M

2004 Salary: $6.72M

Bruce Smith

SB: $4.25M

2004 Salary: $6.5M

Chris Samuels

SB: $10M

2004 Salary: $5.132M

Jeremiah Trotter

SB: $7M

2004 Salary: $2.7M

Renaldo Wynn

SB: $3.5M

2004 Salary: $2M

The only one on this list who is worth the money is Lavar, and maybe Trotter (big maybe).

Smith has got to go. All these other dudes need to have their deals redone. Yeah, that'll happen.

If we play Smith at DE, then we are giving up a huge hole inside the tackle since he takes that rediculous outer loop path to the QB. So here's my idea: if we are resigned to give other teams that hole, why not bench Smith and put a linebacker or safety at DE. That way, at least we have some speed on the end.

Thank you for bringing this up. Smith undermines everything the coaches have tried to do, even before Spurrier. He is all about himself and his record. He could care less about the team. I wish he'd get the record, and get the F out. Bench him outright, so he doesn't get the record. Upshaw is much better, younger and has heart!!!

Quote from Smith in the WP:

"I want to know what their intentions are," Smith said. "I have goals that I'd like to achieve myself, team goals and individual goals. And at some point in time in your career, you have to take a stance and be a little selfish. . . . I just didn't play very much. I don't know what the game plan was so far as the coaching staff was concerned, but this was the decision made by Steve Spurrier and that's what happened."

Bruce Smith's good football days were over even before he came here. I remember cursing at the TV the day we signed this guy, saying he was too old to be effective. His recent comments prove to me that he feels he is some sort of icon, that deserves preferential treatment and belongs in the starting lineup simply because of what he's done in the past. Guess what Bruce, they say that you are only as good as your last game, and frankly, your last game was pathetic. Guys like this who all of a sudden put their personal goals ahead of team goals as soon as things go bad coincidentially, don't deserve to be in this league. I've lost alot of respect for this guy based on what he's said, and now hope he doesn't get his record.

The only one on this list who is worth the money is Lavar, and maybe Trotter (big maybe).

How many good games have either of them had in a skins uniform? 5?

If whining about everyone elses performance is worth money then yes Lavar is worth his salary.

Archived