Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Knee Effusion with 9 mm density

RWJ

My 85lb. Shiloh Shepherd ran into my knee full throttle today and I went to Lively Healthcare Center to have it x-rayed as it swelled up pretty bad.  The x-rays show that I have a knee effusion and a 9 millimeter density which will require a follow up CT scan on my knee.  I will be on Diclofenac Sodium which is an anti-inflammatory for swelling.

Anyone who can share what the 9 millimeter density means and what the doctors will be looking for in a CT scan it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RWJ

In all likelihood, there's gonna be some fluid build-up in that thang and it's gonna require some serious drainage.

I think they'll try other methods first. When I was in HS and had a similar issue the cure was...ice for 20 minutes then heat...repeat. Did that for a few weeks, then was back on the soccer field

Thanks for all the info fellas.  The 9 mm density deal is what concerns me most.  I am thinking density might mean object.  I don't know but I'm bummed as I started my own lawn care business operated by myself and this happens.  Jeezz!

Thanks for all the info fellas.  The 9 mm density deal is what concerns me most.  I am thinking density might mean object.  I don't know but I'm bummed as I started my own lawn care business operated by myself and this happens.  Jeezz!

Different tissues have different densities.  Damaged tissues (e.g. ligaments) have different densities than others.  Fluid has a different density than air and other biological tissues.

CT scans can be used to determine the density of what is being "imaged".

They are going to looking for areas where the density is different than expected.  The change in density can tell them what the issue is.

They can see fluid.  They can see tears and rips in things like ligaments.

I believe 9 mm is related to the resolution of the scan (and I don't think it is highly resolved scan given the most current technology).  How much of a difference does there have to be in the density before it will show up as a difference?

I'm kind of sure, you won't see strains.

Archived