Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential GM Candidates

TD_washingtonredskins

I would say Eric DeCosta from the Ravens. 

per PFT:

DeCosta not leaving Ravens
Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
decosta.jpg?w=228AP

Stop us if you’ve heard this one before.  Ravens assistant G.M. Eric DeCosta won’t be leaving Baltimore.

According to Albert Breer of NFL Media, DeCosta has informed interested teams that he’s not interested in any G.M. vacancies.  DeCosta, who is widely believed to be the in-house choice to succeed Ozzie Newsome when Newsome retires, has never given any indication that he wants to leave the franchise.

Let's say some of you are right and there will be no one hired as GM.  I think I could be okay with that... however, add three more scouts to the front office.  Let's beef up the number of eyes looking at potential players.  We could do that without stepping on potential egos, right?

I think a GM hire is a pipe dream. If Allen likes being our replay guy, I think we can assume he loves playing personnel guy as well.

His arm probably still hurts from patting himself on the back from the Breeland pick. A pick that any fan with an internet connection could have made. A guy cut from the mold of a Sherman... it's not always rocket science. Campbell is probably a god to Allen for finding Morris, although I am not happy with our drafting at all. 

My best case scenario involves promoting Allen for a job well done and freeing him up to meet with fans all year as his full time job, which he alluded to doing in his presser. I wonder how he has the time to do that and be our personnel guy. 

Burgold may have found the best case scenario we can hope for, adding more scouts. I wonder if we ever replaced Morocco. If he was as good as we were led to believe, it will take a few guys to replace him proper. 

I'd like a Parcells hire as team President, NOT GM....but he would lead the GM search and hire the GM, and that GM would hire the coach - you know, as if we were a functional organisation.

Yeah, I don't know how people miss/ignore this point.  Hiring Norv wasn't great, but even he was better than Marty, and the team was MORE successful under Norvo than it ever was under Schotferbrains, PERIOD!

You believe Norv was a better coach than Marty? You can't be serious. Snyder is that you?

Norv can thank Marty for having a postseason record. Your assuming Marty wouldn't have won a postseason game if he would have stayed? Marty built that house. Norv/AJ Smith lived in it until it sunk below .500.

You believe Norv was a better coach than Marty? You can't be serious. Snyder is that you?

Norv can thank Marty for having a postseason record. Your assuming Marty wouldn't have won a postseason game if he would have stayed? Marty built that house. Norv/AJ Smith lived in it until it sunk below .500.

I think it's a defendable decision by Smith. I am not a GM-caliber football mind, but can understand how someone in Smith's position might feel that he has a championship team and may not want to waste many more playoff games with a coach who proved over 25 years that he comes up short in January. The results speak for themself and, if nothing else, show that Smith made a decision that gave his team a shot at a title (playing in a conference championship game). 

Afterall, people love the "he fired a 14-2 coach!!!" talking point, but it's just as likely that Schottenheimer doesn't win nearly that many games the following year as it is he finally gets a playoff W, isn't it? How many back-to-back 14-win teams have there even been in NFL history. I think Turner gets raked over the coals too much for "only" going 11-5 the next season. 

I think it's a defendable decision by Smith. I am not a GM-caliber football mind, but can understand how someone in Smith's position might feel that he has a championship team and may not want to waste many more playoff games with a coach who proved over 25 years that he comes up short in January. The results speak for themself and, if nothing else, show that Smith made a decision that gave his team a shot at a title (playing in a conference championship game). 

Afterall, people love the "he fired a 14-2 coach!!!" talking point, but it's just as likely that Schottenheimer doesn't win nearly that many games the following year as it is he finally gets a playoff W, isn't it? How many back-to-back 14-win teams have there even been in NFL history. I think Turner gets raked over the coals too much for "only" going 11-5 the next season. 

The postseason record wasn't the real reason why he fired Marty. If It was, it's like firing Coach Levy after his 4th straight super bowl loss. Insanity to have a gold standard like that. The truth is Marty & AJ never got along. AJ used the postseason record as his excuse.

Like I said before, why was Norv/AJ able to reach those postseasons? The years of Marty finding the right chemistry/well disciplined players. It was Marty's best team ever assembled. He was actually getting better with age. Marty making a super bowl appearance wasn't as far fetched as people believe. I believe Marty would have eventually appeared in the super bowl.

Yes, it's likely Marty would have returned with less than 14 wins. But it doesn't help the chances of 14-2 repeat by finding another coach.

Archived