Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do we solve Linebackers covering WRs w/o changing scheme?

NoCalMike

The problem with the touchdown before the half was not that Riley missed knocking down the ball, but that someone else wasn't there to defend it as well. The situation, 13 seconds left, and the Eagles with no timeouts required the Eagles to throw the ball into the end zone so as not to chance being downed in play and coming away with nothing. At that point, as defensive coordinator there has to use a playcall defending the endzone, especially against the wideouts who can get there the quickest. Having Riley covering a wideout, or even in there at that point was an epic fail by Haslett, and cost the Skins points, IMO. They kick a field goal there instead, game outcome could have been different.

My problem with the defensive game plan was that they never varied. Yeah, they stopped Shady and Sproles, but at the cost of getting gashed in the passing game through the intermediate seams. Sure, you can't blitz Philly relentlessly, but there has to be that threat, at least. Little press man, and little disguising of coverages left Foles more capable to attack without having to think on his feet. At the line of scrimmage he had a good idea where to go with the ball dependent upon safety movement. Have to show one thing then do another, and have to have the threat of pressure to make Foles think and react, otherwise they'll carve you up as they did yesterday.

Sorry, but "holding" an offense to 30 points is NOT an accomplishment for a good defense. Think the Seahawks would be happy to hold them to 30?

The defensive scheme was an outright disaster yesterday. Given the lead often and they were put in mismatches all day.

I wonder if the 3-4 is becoming antiquated with the 'new' hurry up approach and league rules with contact fouls. Has there been lag with defensive schemes that weren't originally designed for 4-5 fast receiving threats?

Philly will routinely put 4-5 receivers in play...

DC9, I like your points, but after a while even Philly knew they abandoned the run. When do you make adjustments to the issue that is beating you now. At some point you would think, ok let me bring in an extra DB and see if they can't run on us.

Nothing wrong schematically, everything wrong about the execution/players running it (mainly Meriweather and the lack of a pass rush).

The pass rush wasn't bad at all - we didn't get sacks but we smacked Foles around a lot, and it would have worked even better if the refs didn't screw us. We just weren't able to actually disrupt him. At this time, we just don't have the horses to shut down every aspect of an offense like Philly so we just took away what the team rightly considered their most dangerous aspect and asked Foles to beat us.

We lost the game because of special teams and the refs, not because of the defense.

The defensive scheme was an outright disaster yesterday. Given the lead often and they were put in mismatches all day.

I wonder if the 3-4 is becoming antiquated with the 'new' hurry up approach and league rules with contact fouls. Has there been lag with defensive schemes that weren't originally designed for 4-5 fast receiving threats?

Philly will routinely put 4-5 receivers in play...

DC9, I like your points, but after a while even Philly knew they abandoned the run. When do you make adjustments to the issue that is beating you now. At some point you would think, ok let me bring in an extra DB and see if they can't run on us.

The 4-3 doesn't fare any better or worse against 4-5 speedy receiving threats than the 3-4 does.  That's a scenario where you effectively need to switch to a nickel defense unless you have special talent at LB (e.g., Patrick Willis) who can keep up with the best TEs and backfield threats around or a dynamic pass rush that can consistently disrupt plays.

Considering that most 4-3 and 3-4 schemes follow essentially the same principles but merely highlight different personnel strengths and that the top 10 defenses by yardage are spit 50/50 among 3-4 and 4-3 teams, I think you're simply overthinking it.  If our D has a problem it starts with our player acquisition process and Haslett's own ability to coach a successful defense.

On the second TD Reiley seemed like he had pretty good position, just didn't make a play

It happens in the 4-3 too. Actually has little to do with how the front 7 is configured. The offense is always trying to get the matchup of a WR I'm a LB, and the D is trying to avoid it. Depending on the formation, blitz package, offensive play, it's going to happen because you have 4 or 5 secondary guys, 3 WRs and a TE most times, and the LBs are responsible either to match up in zones or man-man.

Perry should have made the play on the second TD. Was inches from knocking it down.

Yep.  Also worth noting that if an offensive mind like Chip Kelly SEES that he's drawn a LB vs. WR matchup on a play he's probably going to hurry things up between plays to try to prevent a personnel change and keep that matchup in his favor.

The pass rush wasn't bad at all - we didn't get sacks but we smacked Foles around a lot, and it would have worked even better if the refs didn't screw us. We just weren't able to actually disrupt him. At this time, we just don't have the horses to shut down every aspect of an offense like Philly so we just took away what the team rightly considered their most dangerous aspect and asked Foles to beat us.

We lost the game because of special teams and the refs, not because of the defense.

The first half was horrible.  We only started getting consistent push when Kelce went down.  There was a lot of holding, but guys needed to get there and they weren't. 

Agree that a lot of those PI calls were ridiculous, too, but it is what it is. 

I really think we beat them the next go 'round.

But yeah, this thread is stupid.

Perry Riley should not be put in position to cover receivers.....Meriweather should not be covering receivers.

this falls squarely on Haslett.

Yeah... Meriweather covered a WR after Hall went down... so... did you want a WR out there or are you just not thinking things through?

That's what is beautiful about the Eagles offense.  It's really a simple math problem.

If KR or PR came out and we sent in Akeem or someone else who probably hadn't worked with the defense, Foles simply checks to the run play where we are now outnumbered in the box.

Had to keep that look and trust the pass rush and the secondary.  Just gave Foles way to much time and got beat a couple of times.  Sloppy penalties and bad teams play didn't help, but the game plan was excellent.

The first half was horrible.  We only started getting consistent push when Kelce went down.  There was a lot of holding, but guys needed to get there and they weren't. 

Agree that a lot of those PI calls were ridiculous, too, but it is what it is. 

I really think we beat them the next go 'round.

But yeah, this thread is stupid.

Yeah... Meriweather covered a WR after Hall went down... so... did you want a WR out there or are you just not thinking things through?

That's what is beautiful about the Eagles offense.  It's really a simple math problem.

If KR or PR came out and we sent in Akeem or someone else who probably hadn't worked with the defense, Foles simply checks to the run play where we are now outnumbered in the box.

Had to keep that look and trust the pass rush and the secondary.  Just gave Foles way to much time and got beat a couple of times.  Sloppy penalties and bad teams play didn't help, but the game plan was excellent.

Meriweather should not be covering their # 1 receiver........I thought things through very clearly

Meriweather should not be covering their # 1 receiver........I thought things through very clearly

Matthews is hardly a #1.  It was his 3rd game in the NFL. 

EDIT:  And I'll agree on the long Maclin pass, but that's what the offensive formation called for.  Sometimes the offense gets one right.  That was the perfect call for that defense.  They called it 3 times and scored twice, only a bad throw from Foles prevented the third one from being a score.

Find someone to replace Riley

/thread

Wow...

Riley led the team in tackles last year.  This is hilarious.

It will happen occasionally but best thing is to play 3 cbs and take out a linebacker for your base. This league is changing more into a pass happy league amd coordinators are not adjusting.

Lastly alot of our coverage problems start with our safeties too. If you are a safety and you see a lb on a wr you must help off the snap of the ball. Our safeties dont do that, they get over late.

Archived