Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

18 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I remember we wanted Sean Miller but he chose Arizona instead. Glad that didn't work out - who knows what would've happened.

He wanted the UMD job but Anderson didn’t.

And we would be in a lot better position with him than what Turgeon did. (And Diamond Stone is part of this investigation so our snow is “gold” too)

NIT may not even want this steaming pile of garbage.

More awesome B1G officiating: 2 seconds left on shot clock Wisc had ball 25 feet from basket, and they get an off ball foul 20 feet from basket. Really?

Edited by Long n Left

I’d just as well by ok with an end to the season after this. I’m not interested in an NIT first round loss.

I’m also a Memphis Tigers fan (alma mater) and they are 18-12. But they were completely gutted and have a young team. 

If MD had a young rebuilding team, I could be OK with their record, but Turd-geon has had years to build. He’s failed.

Edited by pjfootballer

Glad to see Brenda rebuilding the lady Terps after losing two of the big 5 recruits from 2016. Got a couple skilled bigs coming next year, and 4 top 60 guards/wings coming in 2019. This season has been a disappointment, even though they've been ranked all year.

Many of you are likely too young to remember, but Maryland women's hoops has been a dominant force for almost half a century. In 46 seasons, the girls have only had 6 losing seasons. U Conn has dominated the women's basketball landscape for the past couple decades since Geno took over, but Maryland is one of the NCAA women's b-ball blue bloods, make no mistake. Though they only have the one championship, they have been in the final 4 six times, and in the tournament 29 times.

I'm a women's basketball nerd, as I've coached for years, and had a daughter lucky enough to be on the NC state champs in 2014. I love basketball, and when I lived in the D.C. area, followed the Terps regularly. Made it out to Cole for a couple games, and they were very enjoyable. Women's basketball has changed quite a bit since back then. The girls are much better athletes now, and work year round on their craft. The girls game will never be high flying game of the boys, but these girls today play great fundamental ball. I urge anyone with the ability to go watch the lady Terps. I think you'll enjoy it these next few years.

• Like 4

Turgeon's numbers are not that good. Especially considering his only NCAA appearances are when Melo was playing.

Year             Overall      Conference     Post Season Tournament
2011–12        17-15        6-10             —
2012–13        25-13        8-10            NIT Semifinals
2013–14        17-15        9-9               —
2014–15        28-6        14-4              NCAA Third Round
2015–16        27-9        12-6              NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2016–17        24-9        12-6              NCAA First Round
2017-18        19-13        8-10              —

I suspect like most others have said he gets a pass because of the injuries this year as well as the hope for the recruiting class next year. But if you look at the players and how they have developed, very few have made any significant improvements under him. The team just doesn't play well under him. This is probably the window to fire him. If the recruiting class next year and the year after are as good as advertised, he will probably get 3 more years and most likely first or second round exits in the NCAA Tournament. Basically he will do just enough to keep his job.  

• Sad 1

This is a critical offseason for Turgeon and the Terps. Jackson already flirted with the NBA last year, but I think his injury will keep him around one more year, as he would, at best, be a late second round flier.

Bruno, on the other hand, has all the tools NBA teams are looking for, he's just a little green. I'm guessing he'd go top 20 this year, with an outside chance at late lottery area. Guess it'll depend on what he hears from scouts and the like. If he stays, and has a good year, he's probably a top 10 pick next year. If he stays, along with everyone else, Terps have a top 15 team, on paper. 

17 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I think we've seen plenty of offseasons. Turg does well there. It's in-season where he needs to coach, adjust, get the most out of his guys. That's where he struggles. 

Never once argued that! 

It's a lot easier to be a good coach when you've got good players. A starting lineup of Cowan, Jackson, Huerter, Bruno, and Sticks, with Morsell, Wiggins, Ayala, Tomaic, Bender, and (hopefully) another ball handler coming off the bench, looks mighty tasty.

Edited by Long n Left

45 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

This is a crusher for me. Seen a lot of the Tigers this year. One of my daughter's good friends plays for Princeton. They are a VERY good team. Mark Alarie's daughter, Bella, is a 6'5" baller who can step out and hit the three, and is very long and active inside defending the paint. I expect the Tigers to give the Terps all kind of problems.

• Sad 1