Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I like Melo, but with Cowan the Terps would have been just fine.  Don't get me wrong, Melo coming back is great but Carter was the irreplaceable one.  Terps are going to be small next year.  I see much running and gunning which is not the Big 10 way.

Click to read the rest

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/05/26/what-its-like-to-be-on-the-college-lacrosse-team-that-just-doesnt-lose/

What it’s like to be on the college lacrosse team that just doesn’t lose

Ask Zoe Stukenberg to name the toughest loss of her three-year career at Maryland, and she’ll pause.

“It’s 50-50,” she said. “I didn’t like either of them.”

Then ask Alice Mercer about the worst home moment during her four years with the Terps lacrosse team. She’ll pause, too.

“I don’t know,” she said this week. “I can’t think of a bad memory, really.”

That’s how life goes for perhaps the most dominant sports team in the Washington area. Mercer will leave College Park with a 44-0 record at home. Stukenberg enters Friday night’s national semifinal against Syracuse with a 65-2 record in her career. Their Terps have won two straight national championships, and advanced to eight straight Final Fours. They rank first in the NCAA in scoring offense, third in scoring defense, first in scoring margin, tied for first in turnovers and first in draw controls. In 13 of their 21 wins, the Terps have more than doubled their opponents’ score. Dating to last season, they’ve won 25 consecutive games. Their total scoring margin in that span? How’s 380-170 sound?

It’s the sort of success that busts up even the most reliable sports cliches, as when Mercer starts talking about her ledger of losses: three in four seasons.

“I think for us, they’ve been learning experiences,” she said.

So that’s three learning experiences in four years?

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 2

Can't wait to see this.  :)

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Melo-Trimble-NBA-Maryland-Terrapins-Anthony-Cowan-45510201

Turgeon Excited About a Cowan-Trimble Backcourt

One of the biggest questions following Melo Trimble's decision to return to Maryland: how will Turgeon employ Trimble with the point guard who was recruited to replace him when Trimble inevitably -- but not so inevitably, after all -- was going to leave for the NBA after last season. In freshman Anthony Cowan, Trimble, a player accustomed to dominating the ball, will be joined by another decorated point guard on the roster for the first time.

Trimble will remain Maryland's point guard by default, and he'll have the ball in his hands again of course, but based on Turgeon's comments Tursday on the ESPNU College Basketball Podcast, it sounds like Trimble's ready to play more off the ball than he has in his first two years. That will allow him to use his offensive attack while Cowan takes some of the distribution duties off his plate.

"I think they all fit well together. I think Anthony and Melo are completely different basketball players, so that's good for me. They'll fit together well on the court. I think Anthony's gonna take some pressure off of Melo. The ball won't have to be in his hands all the time. Melo can score in a variety of ways. He hasn't been able to show that. I think it's mostly been off ball screens and on the break. I think Melo will show his complete basketball offensive arsenal next year," Turgeon said. 

I have seen enough of both Cowan and Trimble.  They are almost identical.  Drive and dish, drive and get fouled.  Cowan will shoot the 3 if left alone and is a better shooter.  It is intriguing to have 2 NBA  prospect point guards on the floor at the same time.  I doubt any team has 2 players that can cover both of them.

I have seen enough of both Cowan and Trimble.  They are almost identical.  Drive and dish, drive and get fouled.  Cowan will shoot the 3 if left alone and is a better shooter.  It is intriguing to have 2 NBA  prospect point guards on the floor at the same time.  I doubt any team has 2 players that can cover both of them.

I've seen both of them as well and up until this year I wouldn't have considered Cowan a better shooter.

Imo, a healthy Trimble is a better shooter/scorer while Cowan is more the classic PG.

Either way, they'll complement each other really well.

Click to read the rest

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/lacrosse/bs-sp-cummings-terps-feature-0527-20160526-story.html

Maryland star Taylor Cummings, maybe the best women's player ever, seeks another title and then a life after lacrosse

When Taylor Cummings finishes playing lacrosse for Maryland this weekend at the final four in Philadelphia, she will be ready to move on.

For four years, outside attention has focused on a lacrosse career that places the Terps' two-time Tewaaraton Award winner in the conversation about the best college women's player ever. At the same time, however, Cummings earned a degree in finance — and she wants to use it.

That's not to say she won't miss Maryland.

"If I could do it all over again I would," said the McDonogh graduate who leads the No. 1 and two-time defending champion Terps (21-0) into tonight's national semifinal against No. 4 Syracuse at Talen Energy Stadium. "I love this program. I love everything about this place, and I will miss our team and the coaches and everything I've been so fortunate to have been a part of the past four years.

"But at the same time, I'm excited to see what my life is like without lacrosse. It will be weird and it'll take some adjustment, but I'm excited to do something different."

• Like 1

TERPS WIN!!! No. 1 #Terps beat No. 4 Syracuse, 19-9, to advance to Sunday's NCAA title game! #FearTheTurtle

No. 1 Maryland will take on No. 2 North Carolina Sunday at 12 pm in the NCAA championship game on ESPNU! #FearTheTurtle #ncaaWLAX

@MarylandWLax I mean.... Save some for Carolina. We will show some love on the show tonight. Two is good. Three is better.

• Like 1

FINAL: Maryland 15, Brown 14 What. A. Game. Goals: Hea**** (3), Malt (3) Assists: Rambo (5), Cole (2)

Both Terp teams in the natty game! 1f60a.png1f60a.png1f60a.png#TERPadelphia

Maryland vs UNC for the natty......Men and Women.

• Like 1

I don't think I have met one UNC LAX fan in the dozen years that I have lived down here.

I hope the men and women can dominate these upcoming games.

Me either. In fact, most only care about basketball and don't know much of that. Sort of like Cowboys fans.

• Like 1

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Basketball-Recruiting-Anthony-Cowan-Kevin-Huerter-Justi-45569704

Maryland Recruiting Class Begins its Era in College Park

The incoming Maryland basketball recruiting class, a highly regarded group that could determine whether Mark Turgeon's program continues its upward progression during the next several years, officially began its arrival in College Park yesterday.

Freshman signees Anthony Cowan and Micah Thomas moved in on Monday, the first two arrivals of a five-man class that also includes freshman guard Kevin Huerter, freshman forward Justin Jackson and senior forward L.G. Gill, a transfer from Duquesne. Gill told IMS he'll also move to College Park this week, while Huerter and Jackson will get to campus in three weeks; Huerter was selected to try out for USA Basketball's Under-18 team, on which Turgeon is an assistant coach, from June 14-18.

Maryland's class, boosted last week by the late commitment of Jackson -- the No. 8 small forward and 44th-best senior overall according to 247Sports -- is ranked ninth nationally and second in the Big Ten in the 247Sports Composite recruiting rankings.

Cowan and Huerter are expected to play significant minutes immediately, although it remains to be seen how Turgeon will intertwine a suddenly-crowded backcourt cast following Melo Trimble's return. Jackson and Thomas will compete for opportunities at small forward, while Gill is the favorite to start at power forward.