Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Backup QBs Getting A Closer Look

TK

Are the Chiefs the dominant team we haven't seen in a while?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Chiefs the dominant team we haven't seen in a while?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12163

Backup QBs Getting A Closer Look

10/27/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

With Patrick Ramsey the only quarterback on the Redskins’ roster who has thrown an NFL pass, head coach Steve Spurrier has been working closely with rookie Gibran Hamdan and the recently signed Tim Hasselbeck to get them up to speed.

Spurrier hasn’t decided which of the two will back up Ramsey on Sunday.

“We’ll see how Tim progresses in practice this week” Spurrier said. “And even though Gibran is a true rookie, there are a lot of true rookies out there [in the NFL] who are backing up.”

Hasselbeck was signed by the Redskins last week to replace veteran Rob Johnson, who was released. Hasselbeck, who last year served as a No. 2 quarterback in Carolina and Philadelphia due to injuries, was at Redskin Park throughout the weekend learning the intricacies of Spurrier’s offense.

“Tim is trying as hard as he can,” Spurrier said. “He stayed in here Monday afternoon and watched a whole lot of game tapes. So he’s a quick learner. He was able to take the snaps, hand the ball off, and throw a few balls in practice. He’s progressing very well.”

Hasselbeck, 6-1 and 211 pounds, saw action in the preseason last August with the Eagles, completing 21-of-39 passes for 205 yards.

Hamdan, a local product from Bishop O’Connell High School in Arlington, Va., was the Redskins’ seventh-round draft pick last April. He has been on the team’s practice squad since preseason ended.

Hamdan saw limited work during the 2003 preseason. He completed 3-of-7 passes for 29 yards and one interception in the second preseason game against New England. He also saw action in the Baltimore game but did not throw a pass.

“Gibran is a good player,” Spurrier said. “Of course, he hasn’t played since the preseason. He looks pretty good in practice at times and he has a good idea of what we’re trying to do. He’s not afraid to audible and check off. So Gibran is an interesting prospect.”

The head coach acknowledged that the team could be in a difficult spot at the quarterback position should Ramsey be forced out of a game.

“If we had to play one of our backup guys, it’d probably be just to get through the ballgame,” Spurrier said.

Meantime, players returned from the weekend off rested and ready. The team practiced for about 45 minutes Monday before rainstorms forced the team inside.

With a win over Dallas next Sunday, the Redskins would be only one game out of first place in the NFC East.

“I think we have all kept that in perspective,” said Ramsey. “I think we all know that if we win this game, things certainly aren’t over by any means.”

On the Injury Front

Spurrier indicated that running back Ladell Betts (fractured elbow), cornerback Fred Smoot (bruised sternum) and left guard Dave Fiore (sore right knee) could be listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against Dallas.

Running back Trung Canidate may also be listed as doubtful for the game, but he may test his high ankle sprain this week before a final determination is made.

“Later in the week, we will have more information to report [on the team’s injuries],” Spurrier said.

Defensive tackle Jermaine Haley (fractured right thumb) could return to action on Sunday, but it depends on how he performs in practice this week. He told reporters Monday that he has some difficulty getting a grip on blockers due to the cast that is on his right hand.

Meantime, Spurrier was optimistic that Fiore would be able to return to action later this season.

“He has a good chance to be back [this year],” Spurrier said. “There was some loose cartilage in there that doctor cleaned out nicely. Dave’s knee feels pretty good and with a little time, he could be back in a couple weeks or so.”

Extra Points

Spurrier would not name a starting tailback for Sunday’s game, saying that the starter would probably depend on “the play we have called.” If Betts and Canidate are unable to play, Chad Morton would seem to be the likely choice. But Spurrier said that fullback Rock Cartwright has the versatility to play some tailback. And he added that rookie Sultan McCullough could suit up for the second game in a row.

The Redskins have released offensive lineman Mitch White. The team will fill his roster spot later this week.

Originally posted by Dan T.

"And he added that rookie Sultan McCullough could suit up for the second game in a row."

I would like to see young Sultan in a real game setting. If both Ladell and Trung are sidelined, let's see what the kid can do.

As long as he can block in passing situations. If not, let Rock handle the load.

Originally posted by Posse81

Mitch White released. Opening a spot for Russell?

I saw on another thread the OBC quoted as saying he doesn't want Russell on the team. But ESPN (Chris Mortensen) was still reporting this evening that the Skins were close to bringing him in. Another Coach/Danny Boy personnel confrontation in the making?

...I saw on another thread the OBC quoted as saying he doesn't want Russell on the team....

Spurrier came in as a coach only. While, of course, he has a say in personnel, the final decisions are with the front office. If they bring in Russell, I wouldn't see it as a major problem. He didn't ask for the GM spot or really want it in his first go around in the NFL.

kve

I think one of the big mistakes Spurrier made was making a public statement about not wanting to have a significant role in personnel decisions. Even if the reality is that the Snyder is going to be the unofficial GM, the players need to have a sense that Spurrier is at least going to stick up for his own and defend the players he believes in.

Actually, it is one of a NUMBER of stances and comments Spurrier has made that make me doubt whether he is really the guy temperamentally to take this club over the top of the mountain.

Is there still time for the clouds to part? Yes.

However, we are nearing the point where some steady improvement TOWARD that light is necessary for us to see.

Well, unless he already KNOWS that Snyder is going to pass on Russell, making that kind of statement is either

a) stupid

B) self-destructive

c) daring Snyder to make it an issue

It may be all three. I'm hoping they've already told Steve they're not going after him. Otherwise, this looks bad.

I think it is a BIG deal if the team brings in Russell after Spurrier takes a public stance against him.

You can bet that Spurrier has clearly made that point in internal discussions. If the FO still goes out and gets him, then they are obviously cutting his legs out from under him.

I don't see how the arrangement can survive, in that scenario. It would be crystal clear that Spurrier has no say over who is and isn't on the team, at that point. No coach can be expected to be effective in a climate like that.

I've long given Snyder the benefit of the doubt, because I think the myth surrounding him has far outstripped the reality of the situation. But, if Russell gets signed, I'll have a far harder time believing that he isn't what his detractors say he is. I have to believe that he is smarter than that - how can you pay a guy $5M/year and give him absolutely no say-so about the guys on his team, and publicly castrating him to boot?

remember the blurb last week about Mike Stock criticizing LaDairis Jackson's play on special teams during a meeting and having a player stand up and tell him that Jackson was cut and no longer at Redskins Park? :laugh:

I'm laughing, but I am almost at the point of crying my friend :)

Archived