Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

V: NASA commissions design for its first warp speed spaceship

JMS

I'm sorry, but I will continue to refuse to believe in any kind of time or space warping until I actually see it.  They've been theorizing about this stuff for decades, yet I don't know of a single actual use.  Time is time, it is perceived and measured, not distorted.  You can only distort your perception of time, not time itself.  I want to believe in things like this, but I can't do it.

time =/ spacetime

The idealist in me says THIS IS SO COOL I'M ABOUT TO WET MY PANTS AND NOT EVEN CARE.

The realist in me says that like many futuristic science articles this is likely 98% hype and not much will come of it, at least not any time soon.

The idealist in me says THIS IS SO COOL I'M ABOUT TO WET MY PANTS AND NOT EVEN CARE.

The realist in me says that like many futuristic science articles this is likely 98% hype and not much will come of it, at least not any time soon.

If we bend space-time, then not any time soon will become soon!

We don't have any idea what lies between here and Pluto with any exact mapping, let alone a trip to another system.

That's also true of a slow, "normal" propulsive trip from here to Pluto.  Whether you make the trip in five years or five minutes, the odds of colliding with anything en route are incredibly small.  Not zero, but puny.  And if you don't know an object is there, there's little reason to presume that colliding with it is any more or less likely at "warp" than under conventional rocket power/coast.

Unless said thing is actively trying to get in your way, of course.  Dun-dun-duuuuuuuuun.

And any collision out there is presumably fatal -- one at space-warping "speed" or one at a comparatively meager 40,000 mph.  So the death odds conditioned on colliding with any object of substantial size are identically 100%.

Still, I bet driver and passenger air bags will come standard.   ;)

I'm sorry, but I will continue to refuse to believe in any kind of time or space warping until I actually see it.  They've been theorizing about this stuff for decades, yet I don't know of a single actual use.  Time is time, it is perceived and measured, not distorted.  You can only distort your perception of time, not time itself.  I want to believe in things like this, but I can't do it.

Well here's a gravitational lensing effect produced by the "bending" of spacetime

A_Horseshoe_Einstein_Ring_from_Hubble.JP

You can certain distort (slow-down) time by going really fast.   Or else physics for the past 100 years has been terribly wrong.  As to "perception" vs "time itself", well theres no way to really seperate the two, because relativity discarded with the idea of absolute time.  For two people travelling fast relative to each other (on the order of magnitude of light speed),  if they were holding a clock they would observe each other's clocks running slow  ... this seems paradoxical at first (look up the Twins paradox if interested), until you wrap your head around discarding the notion of absolute time

The degree to which we can actually control it is another matter.  As is the problems of violating causality ... think of what a stationary observer would actually see as someone in faster than light (FTL) "warp space" travels to him ... since the speed of light is constant, the light from the travellers destination would arrive *before* the light from the origin.   Therefore, an observer at the destination of an FTL traveller would observe the traveller arriving at the destination, then going backwards!   In other words, they would observe time going backwards .... so if the FTL traveller say, droped a glass and it shattered into hundreds of pieces, the observer would see all those pieces seemingly reassembling each other into a glass ... thus violating the 2nd law of thermodynmaics... issues like this is what makes alot of physicists skeptical about FTL travel

Archived