Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In need of help/suggestions re: getting my property back (read OP)

mistertim

Hi all...I'm really peeved about this and not sure what to do so I figured I would throw it out there to my friends at ES for suggestions because I honestly don't know what to do. Very weird situation.

So my camera (Canon 5D Mark III) got wet when my basement flooded recently. I took it to Calumet Photography in Tysons to get repaired. They said they would have to send it to Canon. Fine, no problem. Then I just recently found out when trying to get a status from them that Calumet has completely shut down and is filing for Bankruptcy. Fine, whatever.

Problem is...where the hell is my camera? I can't get in touch with anyone from the company. Nobody answers any phones. Do I call Canon? I don't even have a reference number for it since Calumet was handling it. Its a $3,000 camera so its not like I can just say "damn...oh well". 

Really don't know where to turn. Any advice or experience with something of this nature? Or advice on how I should go about it? Do I say it is stolen property and call the police? I have no clue.

Looks like Chapter 7 is the most common way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapter_7,_Title_11,_United_States_Code

When a troubled business is badly in debt and unable to service that debt or pay its creditors, it may file (or be forced by its creditors to file) for bankruptcy in a federal court under Chapter 7. A Chapter 7 filing means that the business ceases operations unless continued by the Chapter 7 Trustee. A Chapter 7 Trustee is appointed almost immediately, with broad powers to examine the business's financial affairs. The Trustee generally sells all the assets and distributes the proceeds to the creditors.

I'd try to contact this Chapter 7 Trustee.

Good idea to call Cannon - maybe they can look it up by source or serial number..

Here is more info on the bankruptcy:

http://business-bankruptcies.com/cases/calumet-photographic-inc

Parties

Debtor

Calumet Photographic, Inc.

900 W. Bliss St.

Chicago, IL 60642

COOK-IL

Tax ID / EIN: xx-xxx3318

Represented By

Mark A Berkoff

Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP

Two North LaSalle Street

Suite 1700

Chicago, IL 60602-3801

312 269-8072

Email: mberkoff@ngelaw.com

Trustee

Catherine L. Steege, ESQ

Jenner & Block

353 N. Clark Street

Chicago, IL 60654

312-222-9350

U.S. Trustee

Patrick S Layng

Office of the U.S. Trustee, Region 11

219 S Dearborn St

Room 873

Chicago, IL 60604

312-886-5785

When did you drop off the camera? Your rights may differ depending on whether it was prebankruptcy or post. (They apparently filed on March 13th). Just so you know, in order to claim reclamation of your property in the bankruptcy debtor's possession (calumet), the deadline I think is 45 days from petition, so clock may be ticking. If the talk with the trustee isn't too fruitful, you may have to consult an attorney to file the appropriate claim in bankruptcy.

My advice : Don't go the OJ Simpson route.

Otherwise, I would take the advice of these folks that previously posted.

I always have tried to send my stuff to the manufacturer. When I buy from a bigger brand if their is a warranty I will take it to them, but a small business...nope.

Archived