Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rich Tandler on Redskins Nation ---3.5.14

Troy Fakeman

Did anyone catch Tandler with Larry on Redskins Nation last night?

Interesting stat provided...

The Redskins have signed a total of 3 1st Round Picks to a second contract after their rookie contract over the past two + decades.

LaVar...Samuels...................and Darrell Green.

Glaring. Horrible. Unacceptable. For me, the fact that we even had to question signing Rak just adds to the sting of that statistic. Sure, there is plenty of blame to spread around but we really shouldn't be surprised at our lack of success or lack of continued success.

Horrible.

Hope everyone is doing ok - haven't been on here in a minute.

#21 RiP.

That is a very interesting statistic though the Redskins didn't have a 1st round draft pick at all from 84' to '90.  After that though it was an utter disgrace for a good while....

'91   Bobby Wilson (DT)

'92   Desmond Howard (WR)

'93   Tom Carter (DB)

'94   Heath Shular (QB)

'95   Michael Westbrook (WR)

'96   Andre Johnson (T)

'97   Kenard Lang (DE)

'98   No 1st round pick

'99   Champ Bailey (CB)

'00   Lavar Arrington (LB) & Chris Samuels (T)

'01   Rod Gardner (WR)

'02   Patrick Ramsey (QB)

'03   No 1st round pick

'04   Sean Taylor (S)

'05   Carlos Rogers (DB) & Jason Campbell (QB)

'06   No 1st round pick

'07   LaRon Landry (S)

'08   No 1st round pick

'09   Brian Orakpo (DE)

'10   Trent Williams (T)

'11   Ryan Kerrigan (DE)

'12   Robert Griffin (QB)

'13   No 1st round pick

'14   No 1st round pick

From '91 to '97, those picks were just dismal (thank you very much C. Casserly).  Since then, I would say of the 13 picks, in my mind, 10 out of 13 were good enough to be resigned.  That's not such a bad percentage.  An article on Walterfootball studied 1st round picks between '98 to '07 and indicated a 46% bust rate for 1st round picks during that time period.  Our bust rate was slightly better during that time period @ 33% (I'm assuming R. Gardner, P. Ramsey and J. Campbell would be considered 1st round busts though I do not know what the definition of a "bust" is, but they certainly didn't pan out to be 1st round quality starters).   I'm also going to take a "huge leap" here and say we're batting 1.000 for our last four 1st round draft picks.

smithmal

right, baring unforeseen circumstances, 2009-2012 will be with the team for many years to come. They got the 1st round picks right for a change there.

Otherwise, that's a depressing list.. but it is consistent with all the other lists of crap since 1993

QB's, Kickers and the Overall record (6 winning seasons since 1993) are all particularly depressing

who needs to go over this all again? they have sucked for 2 decades (just a notch above Detroit and Cincinnati) and even though the first rounder's are better lately it hasn't lead to consistency... hopefully Gruden and Allen are the right team to do it.

That is a very interesting statistic though the Redskins didn't have a 1st round draft pick at all from 84' to '90.  After that though it was an utter disgrace for a good while....

'91   Bobby Wilson (DT)

'93   Tom Carter (DB)

'94   Heath Shular (QB)

'96   Andre Johnson (T)

'97   Kenard Lang (DE)

'98   No 1st round pick

'99   Champ Bailey (CB)

'01   Rod Gardner (WR)

'03   No 1st round pick

'04   Sean Taylor (S)

'06   No 1st round pick

'07   LaRon Landry (S)

'08   No 1st round pick

'09   Brian Orakpo (DE)

'10   Trent Williams (T)

'11   Ryan Kerrigan (DE)

'13   No 1st round pick

'14   No 1st round pick

From '91 to '97, those picks were just dismal (thank you very much C. Casserly).  Since then, I would say of the 13 picks, in my mind, 10 out of 13 were good enough to be resigned.  That's not such a bad percentage.  An article on Walterfootball studied 1st round picks between '98 to '07 and indicated a 46% bust rate for 1st round picks during that time period.  Our bust rate was slightly better during that time period @ 33% (I'm assuming R. Gardner, P. Ramsey and J. Campbell would be considered 1st round busts though I do not know what the definition of a "bust" is, but they certainly didn't pan out to be 1st round quality starters).   I'm also going to take a "huge leap" here and say we're batting 1.000 for our last four 1st round draft picks.

smithmal

Tre' Johnson was pretty good. That offensive line back then was pretty good too. Tre Johnson, Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen. I'd pray for that line today..

'91   Bobby Wilson (DT)

'93   Tom Carter (DB)

'94   Heath Shular (QB)

'96   Andre Johnson (T)

'97   Kenard Lang (DE)

'98   No 1st round pick

'99   Champ Bailey (CB)

'01   Rod Gardner (WR)

'03   No 1st round pick

'04   Sean Taylor (S)

'06   No 1st round pick

'07   LaRon Landry (S)

'08   No 1st round pick

'09   Brian Orakpo (DE)

'10   Trent Williams (T)

'11   Ryan Kerrigan (DE)

'13   No 1st round pick

'14   No 1st round pick

smithmal

Ehhh. It fairly bad but when you look at the last 19 picks since Lang you have to consider that 9 dont count due to them being re-signed (Samuels & Lavar), us not having a pick, or ST21's death. So now your down to 10. Champ was traded for porter...so now 9.

Out of the 9, the last four will all be re-signed (RGIII, Kerrigan, Trent, Rak). So really, its 5 draft picks.

1) Gardner - Not a very good pick, but not a complete embarrassment either.

2) Ramsey - #31, bad pick but 1st QB's who don't show to be clear cut starters usually go elsewhere for a fresh start. 

3) Rogers - #9 pick and a good player for a number of years. Him not resigning had more to do with him over estimating his worth and having to take a cheap deal with 49ers after the bottom fell out.

4) Campbell - See Ramsey (though not as bad)

5) Landry - Poorly positioned early in career as FS and then started to show a lot of promise before his Achilles injury. Skins made executive decision (That I and many others here fully supported) that if he was not going to have surgery then we couldn't commit big deal. Jets to a shot and he wasnt very good. Now with Colts and has settled in okay, but who knows.

Im just trying to add some perspective. In fact, since 1999 we have had 8 top 10 picks. Out of those 8, 4 of them (Champ, Samuels, Taylor, Trent) turned out to be top 3(if not the best) at their position in the NFL. And I still have a lot of faith the RGIII can join them in 3-4 years...

Edit.

Lavar being extended before Bailey was a pet move by the owner. Bailey had already had a better playing career, and had been in the league a year longer than Lavar.

It didn't pay Champ to be a Casserly guy once Vinny took over.

Actually Laron Landry, statistically, had one of his best years as a Jet and made the Pro Bowl in 2012.  

Carlos "Stone hands" Rogers was okay, but I would not consider him to be a 1st round quality CB (though certainly not a "bust").  

In my mind, Mr. "50/50" Gardener was a bad pick, probably even worse than Michael Westbrook.  Westbrook had much more talent than Gardener and even though statistically he didn't knock your socks off, he demanded a lot of attention by the safeties allowing receivers like Rod Gardener, Henry Ellard and Albert Connell to have decent production.  If he wasn't such a knucklehead, he could of had a really nice career.

smithmal

Edit.

Lavar being extended before Bailey was a pet move by the owner. Bailey had already had a better playing career, and had been in the league a year longer than Lavar.

It didn't pay Champ to be a Casserly guy once Vinny took over.

My god will people stop this. Bailey was offered a record contract...HE DIDNT WANT TO BE HERE!

Ignorance is bliss. Champ was gone, he was hooking up with someone other than his wife. Wife said move me.

This. Champ was foolin around with someone from the post, wifey said we stay here I'm leaving, that's why we delt him for CP.

Hopefully we can put the "Champ" talk to rest.  Dude gave the Redskins a 0% chance of staying here.  But the rest of the list are you serious?  I think honestly not signing 99% of our 1st rd picks was something the Redskins did right (minus 09 until latest).  The only close calls were Landry, Rogers and they really weren't worth it either.  Rogers wanted to be paid like the best DB in the NFL, wasn't happening.  Landry is more of a liability in the backfield than anything.  The only player we most likely would have 110% signed was ST.

Archived