Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One directional pandemics

Elessar78

• 4 weeks later...

Hate to ruin the book for anyone but

seems like it comes full circle with this thread. While they were not completely wiped out by a pandemic(s) their numbers were greatly reduced by diseases like cholera and smallpox. The Comanches hit that perfect storm of disease and a more aggressive, amply supplied US and Texan "armies"

But anyway - the main thing that kept the Empire in place for hundreds of years was this idea of Roman citizenship. This was a nearly mystical concept at the time. If you were a citizen, you could vote....you could own property....you could sue in court....you were not subject to the death penalty or other "cruel" punishments. Basically, you were now special, different from the Barbarians across the next river or whatever.

Once that citizenship concept started to mean less, the Western Empire was in trouble.

Hmmm, that sounds familiar somehow. I wonder if today's "Rome" is headed for similar trouble.

i thought this was a thread about the boy band. 

:ph34r:

yeah.. EVERY time i see this thread i picture a night of the living dead scene .. a troupe of zombies from new kids on the block, menudo, Nsync, and the Jonas brothers ravaging the land and eating brains...

pandemic indeed.    (although it might be preferable to listening to their music)

Archived