Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cyptocurrency: BitCoin (BTC) / LiteCoin (LTC)

NattyLight

Who's paying that bill, and with what? Personally, I'd want cash, but the power company might accept Bitcoinz.

The article doesn't state who is the ultimate owner of the mine.  It is a safe assumption that he looks like this:

CaptainSaoFengwithFuManchuMustache.jpg

Bitcoins are easily convertable into cash, be it dollars or yuan or whatever.  I bought some bitcoins in March, 2013, sold them 6 months later and had dollars deposited into my bank account the next day.  It was as easy as a paypal transaction.  

• 1 month later...

Feds say Bitcoin miner maker Butterfly Labs ran “systematic deception”

The Federal Trade Commission has filed a civil lawsuit against Butterfly Labs (BFL), an embattled Kansas-based Bitcoin miner manufacturer. The FTC alleges that the company engaged in fraudulent and deceptive practices.

Federal authorities believe that the three named members of the company’s board of directors—Jody Drake (aka Darla Drake), Nasser Ghoseiri, and Sonny Vleisides—spent millions of dollars of corporate revenue on all kinds of things, including saunas and guns, while ignoring many customer orders that went unfulfilled or were significantly delayed.

The case was filed in federal court last week in Missouri and unsealed late Monday, and it comes over a year after Ars first reported on the company and began testing its initial round of specialized computers designed to do nothing but mine for Bitcoin.

"The FTC alleges that one corporate defendant and three individual defendants have taken in over $50 million by operating a scheme that required consumers to pre-pay for machines that would allow consumers to ‘mine’ for Bitcoins, a new virtual currency," the complaint states. "Defendants either never delivered these machines or delivered them so late that they became obsolete."

Click on the link for the full article

• 3 months later...

Bitcoin crashing:  Even the Ruble Is a Better Investment Than Bitcoin These Days

In December, when the ruble crisis was really revving up, a small number of panicked Russians appeared to start moving their money into bitcoin. Even though the cryptocurrency was technically banned in the country, the volume of ruble-denominated trades shot up 250 percent, CNBC reported.

Bad call. While the ruble has had a wild ride lately, it's down just 3 percent against the dollar over the past month. Bitcoin, meanwhile, is in the midst of an epic collapse, having lost 44 percent of its value since Dec. 14, according to Coindesk. Russia might be in the midst of the crisis, but its currency has still been a safer bet than everyone's favorite online currency/speculative investment opportunity/digital fetish object for techno-liberterians.

coindeskbpichart.jpeg.CROP.promovar-medi

• 3 months later...

Bitcoin crashing:  Even the Ruble Is a Better Investment Than Bitcoin These Days

In December, when the ruble crisis was really revving up, a small number of panicked Russians appeared to start moving their money into bitcoin. Even though the cryptocurrency was technically banned in the country, the volume of ruble-denominated trades shot up 250 percent, CNBC reported.

Bad call. While the ruble has had a wild ride lately, it's down just 3 percent against the dollar over the past month. Bitcoin, meanwhile, is in the midst of an epic collapse, having lost 44 percent of its value since Dec. 14, according to Coindesk. Russia might be in the midst of the crisis, but its currency has still been a safer bet than everyone's favorite online currency/speculative investment opportunity/digital fetish object for techno-liberterians.

coindeskbpichart.jpeg.CROP.promovar-medi

Shakin' out the weak hands for the real players to come to the table. This market is easily manipulated by people that work in the billions, for the people with billions to buy cheap.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2016/01/19/r-i-p-bitcoin-its-time-to-move-on/

R.I.P. Bitcoin. It’s time to move on.

Not long ago, venture capitalists were talking about how Bitcoin was going to transform the global currency system and render governments powerless to police monetary transactions.  Now the cryptocurrency is fighting for survival.  The reality came to light on Jan. 14, when its influential developer, Mike Hearn, declared Bitcoin a failure and disclosed that he had sold all of his Bitcoins.  The price of Bitcoin fell 10 percent in a single day on the news, a sad result for those who are losing money on it.

Bitcoin did have great potential, but it is damaged beyond repair.  A replacement is badly needed.

Archived