Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN- Top 25 Must Sign Free Agents- Skins Related

Bobby Peppers

We need to re-sign Orakpo. Period! That is, IF Haslett will for the first time design his defense to PROPERLY use his best player's strengths. That is my biggest complaint (other than the 15 yard cushions he always demands of the corners/safeties) about Has .. Orakpo and Kerrigan could be flat out killing quarterbacks IF he would use them wisely!

My biggest fear is that the new coaching regime seems to be going into this situation making excuses for Haslett already for how bad his defense has been.  Is Gruden going to have any input on changes he sees fit for the defense or is he basically going to leave all the defense up to him?

To me it's more complicated than "re-sign him because he's the best we have"

The issue is whether or not there are going to be teams out there willing to pay him like a premier pass rusher.  To me he hasn't shown himself to be one, at least not in that top tier elite level. He falls in that secondary category of solid, but unspectacular.

Not to mention Rak has had some injury issues. I think those may dictate his market, or atleast influence it a great amount.

I believe we sign him to a fair deal with a heavy amount of incentives for his play.

One of the complaints both Orakpo and Kerrigan quietly made toward the end of the season (radio interviews I heard with both of them) is the lack of creativity they are allowed as they often had containment responsibilities in the schemes they were playing - meaning that they could rarely go inside, almost never stunted, and were pretty predictable.

I suspect that the reason Haslett is still here is that he has been able to convince Allen that the scheme he wants to use is different than the one they did use. 

Maybe they are right... and maybe they can have big years if their roles are a bit different.

They are right on the money, which is something I hope Gruden changes. He himself saw the same thing, which is why they opened up in the wildcat against us and we got burnt. Gruden seems like he actually studies and hopefully sits Haslett down and slaps him a few times.

Archived