Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN- Top 25 Must Sign Free Agents- Skins Related

Bobby Peppers

4. Brian Orakpo, OLB, Washington Redskins: The Redskins were a mess on defense last season even though Orakpo had 10 sacks while placing fourth in the Pro Football Focus rankings for 3-4 outside linebackers. Teams need at least two top pass-rushers to excel; Orakpo gives the Redskins one. Ryan Kerrigan isn't bad, either, but Orakpo is the one Washington can least afford to lose. "Kerrigan can win against mediocre tackles," one of the GMs said. "Orakpo can win against anybody."

One of the complaints both Orakpo and Kerrigan quietly made toward the end of the season (radio interviews I heard with both of them) is the lack of creativity they are allowed as they often had containment responsibilities in the schemes they were playing - meaning that they could rarely go inside, almost never stunted, and were pretty predictable.

I suspect that the reason Haslett is still here is that he has been able to convince Allen that the scheme he wants to use is different than the one they did use. 

Maybe they are right... and maybe they can have big years if their roles are a bit different.

The OP is correct. If you're gonna play a 3-4, you need good outside backers. I'm not sure what other free agent OLBs there will be, but I would be all about resigning Rak. While not a popular move on the board, It basically would guarantee you are getting a better than average player which you need that most likely will not be available in the draft since we have many other holes to fill

I would not be surprised to see the franchise tag used for a year.  

The franchise tag for a linebacker in 2014 will be about $10M.  Since it is a one-year deal by definition, all of it comes off the 2014 cap.  It seems to me, we either want him for the long term, in which case it makes sense to sign him to at least a 3 year deal, preferably longer, or its time to let go. The management should have enough information on him by now to make a decision.

With a new coach and an OL that needs a major overhaul, it makes sense to start forming a team for 2015.  If Orakpo is franchised in 2014 and has a good year, he'll have a lot more leverage than he does now.  Franchising him again in 2015 will cost $12M, and letting him go will create a big hole in the defense.  Better to deal with it one way or the other right now.

Orakpo should be resigned, but not at anything close to $10M/season. You don't franchise him and eat 30% of our cap space on one player. I would like to see a deal in the neighborhood of 7 years/$36M/$9M guaranteed (or 5 yr/$26M). That would put him just under Ahmad Brooks level compensation and lock him up to 34 (or 32, at which point he walks away and we thank him for his service). $5.14M/year is not bad for a top 15 OLB.

He gets hate on this board, but the opposing offense pays more attention to him than they do Kerrigan.

The franchise tag for a linebacker in 2014 will be about $10M.  Since it is a one-year deal by definition, all of it comes off the 2014 cap.  It seems to me, we either want him for the long term, in which case it makes sense to sign him to at least a 3 year deal, preferably longer, or its time to let go. The management should have enough information on him by now to make a decision.

With a new coach and an OL that needs a major overhaul, it makes sense to start forming a team for 2015.  If Orakpo is franchised in 2014 and has a good year, he'll have a lot more leverage than he does now.  Franchising him again in 2015 will cost $12M, and letting him go will create a big hole in the defense.  Better to deal with it one way or the other right now.

the franchise tag does not prevent negotiations, it just blocks other teams from contacting him unless they're willing to give something up.  The tender is just what the contract will be if negotiations fail.  

the franchise tag does not prevent negotiations, it just blocks other teams from contacting him unless they're willing to give something up.  The tender is just what the contract will be if negotiations fail.  

Not exactly.  In order to prevent a player from negotiating, the Skins would need to tag him as an exclusive franchise player.  To do so, they must first offer him a guaranteed one year contract in excess of the top five salaries at the position - i.e. about $10M.  If he signs that contract, and he'd be crazy not to, they can't pull the tag and he would be paid the full $10M.

If he is tagged as a non-exclusive franchise player, he must be offered the same contract as above, but he can negotiate with other teams and the Skins would have a right of first refusal. If another team signs him and the Skins don't match, they get two first round draft choices.  

In either case, if the Skins pull the tag, he becomes an unrestricted free agent, so it is very likely that the Skins end up paying $10M for one year or losing him with no compensation.

Here's a pretty good explanation

Not exactly.  In order to prevent a player from negotiating, the Skins would need to tag him as an exclusive franchise player.  To do so, they must first offer him a guaranteed one year contract in excess of the top five salaries at the position - i.e. about $10M.  If he signs that contract, and he'd be crazy not to, they can't pull the tag and he would be paid the full $10M.

If he is tagged as a non-exclusive franchise player, he must be offered the same contract as above, but he can negotiate with other teams and the Skins would have a right of first refusal. If another team signs him and the Skins don't match, they get two first round draft choices.  

In either case, if the Skins pull the tag, he becomes an unrestricted free agent, so it is very likely that the Skins end up paying $10M for one year or losing him with no compensation.

Here's a pretty good explanation

what I've read says the non exclusive tag means he was be offered a contract greater than the average salary of the top five players at his position for last year, while exclusive has to be the average for next year

what I've read says the non exclusive tag means he was be offered a contract greater than the average salary of the top five players at his position for last year, while exclusive has to be the average for next year

Your correct - the exclusive tag amount for 2014 won't be determined until April.  But it's not going to be much different in terms of dollars from 2013 - it will be pretty close to $10M.  I don't see how tagging him gives any benefit to the Skins.  It just delays a decision until next year at the cost of paying him top dollar now and having a question mark for the long term at that position.  Unless they want to franchise him and draft a 3-4LB/DE in the second round.  That would seem crazy for a team with this many holes.

Your correct - the exclusive tag amount for 2014 won't be determined until April.  But it's not going to be much different in terms of dollars from 2013 - it will be pretty close to $10M.  I don't see how tagging him gives any benefit to the Skins.  It just delays a decision until next year at the cost of paying him top dollar now and having a question mark for the long term at that position.  Unless they want to franchise him and draft a 3-4LB/DE in the second round.  That would seem crazy for a team with this many holes.

it gives them picks if he leaves

plus, I think Rak is on good enough terms with the Skins to be willing to negotiate.  Lot's of guys who end up franchised are pissed at their teams

With Haslett retained I think we can assume Rak would be used to stop the run first once again, limiting his playmaking, and making it darn tough to justify the salary we will need to fork out to retain him.

Haslett wants to stop the run first and I see no reason for that to change. While it may well be a valid first step in stopping offenses, I want to see a dynamic rak should we retain him at a big fat cap hit.

Otherwise, lets live with Kerrigan and Jackson and wish Rak well, and address other areas with the cap room. OLB was a position of depth (not saying much) but a DC can scheme around our remaining OLBs

With Haslett retained I think we can assume Rak would be used to stop the run first once again, limiting his playmaking, and making it darn tough to justify the salary we will need to fork out to retain him.

Haslett wants to stop the run first and I see no reason for that to change. While it may well be a valid first step in stopping offenses, I want to see a dynamic rak should we retain him at a big fat cap hit.

Otherwise, lets live with Kerrigan and Jackson and wish Rak well, and address other areas with the cap room. OLB was a position of depth (not saying much) but a DC can scheme around our remaining OLBs

we now have a linebackers coach who helped coach Ware and Spencer in Dallas.  Don't assume anything

we now have a linebackers coach who helped coach Ware and Spencer in Dallas.  Don't assume anything

Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

But if he is such a great coach, why couldn't he coach up Jackson and Kerrigan?

I would suggest we wait until he is promoted to DC to suggest he will deciding if the defense is going to be built to stop the run first, and how he would do that without a stout nose.

People claiming that Orakpo is replaceable confuse me greatly.  They like to look at his sack stats against NFC east teams and simply discredit it, but Orakpo is by far our best linebacker at stopping the run and it's not even close.  He rarely misses tackles, too.  I'd give him a deal in the range of 5 years $45million but he'll probably get 6/$60 million.

it gives them picks if he leaves

plus, I think Rak is on good enough terms with the Skins to be willing to negotiate.  Lot's of guys who end up franchised are pissed at their teams

No one is giving up two #1s AND paying Rak anywhere near $10M/year.  If he is tagged, the Skins have essentially signed him for about $10M for one year.

If he's tagged, he shouldn't be pissed, he should send Danny and Bruce a muffin basket.

No one is giving up two #1s AND paying Rak anywhere near $10M/year.  If he is tagged, the Skins have essentially signed him for about $10M for one year.

If he's tagged, he shouldn't be pissed, he should send Danny and Bruce a muffin basket.

teams have negotiated away from the two first picks and they don't have to pay him 10 mil next year to sign him.  

Archived