Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Talyor Style Of Play Would Be Accepted By Todays Nfl.

Sinister

Sean Taylor was a great tackler with excellent technique. He didn't launch, and he didn't use his helmet as a weapon.

Comparing his play to Meriweather is borderline sacrilegious if you ask me...

I'm in no way denigrating his style of play. I'm speaking of the new NFL in terms of how they're hamstringing defenders. Take a look at this highlight reel. 80% of the hits in this video would of gotten a fine in today's NFL. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAkjHS1kXpQ

This shouldn't be a thread.  It belongs to being unsaid, as mentioning Sean will only be inflammatory with this fanbase, but if you need the attention, then post it in the other threads about this same exact topic.

And yeah, to compare Sean to Merriweather is to compare a perfect filet to an elementary school steak sandwich.  

Sean knew how to play the game, and he played the game by the rules.  Not Lott's rules, he played by the then-current NFL rules.  He wasn't a dumbass who didn't know how to adjust to things.  He was an excellent tackler and if he were here today, then he would certainly continue to make highlight reels for powerful hits, not blatant 15-yarders.

I'm in no way denigrating his style of play. I'm speaking of the new NFL in terms of how they're hamstringing defenders. Take a look at this highlight reel. 80% of the hits in this video would of gotten a fine in today's NFL. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAkjHS1kXpQ

The point is he knew how to tackle and could easily adjust to modern rules. Meriweather is not a good football player and surely not close to being in the same breath of ST as a tackler so he has no idea what to do outside of launch his body at people. Its pathetic.

From the video: The hit at 00:41 on the Steeler likely would have been fined for a defenseless WR hit but it is a clean hit as ST is driving his shoulder into the WR's stomach and knocking the ball loose. Proof that you can in fact, be an intimidating safety and jar the ball loose without being a dumbass that has to knock heads off.  

If comparing Sean Taylor's aggressive style of play to BW's is out of line then I apologize. IMO based on what I've seen, Sean Taylor's penchant for hitting players high would of drawn a lot of flags, and while I think he is talented enough to convert, I don't think he would accepted the changes as easily and seamlessly as you and others have prognosticated. I think he would of faced the same criticism as BW. 

If comparing Sean Taylor's aggressive style of play to BW's is out of line then I apologize. IMO based on what I've seen, Sean Taylor's penchant for hitting players high would of drawn a lot of flags, and while I think he is talented enough to convert, I don't think he would accepted the changes as easily and seamlessly as you and others have prognosticated. I think he would of faced the same criticism as BW. 

He didn't headhunt though. I saw one play in that video you posted that looked anything like a BM hit, at 1:02 he goes low on an Eagles WR who is already low and helmets smash. I don't see anything else in that video that compares to BM.

The only other questionable one I saw was against the Vikings WR on the sideline but from the angle its hard to tell he may have just shoulder checked him in the chest. 

Archived