Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Httr24/7- All-22: Breakdowns In The Dallas Defense Play To The Redskins Strengths

Lavarleap56

@56

A followup ?.  If you have been reviewing our past game films, have you seen clear examples in the first 4 games, where Kyle has been clearly targeting the weakness of a defense? 

Say, throwing a disproportionally high number of times at a rookie corner. Or, running straight at teams lightest DE over and over; zone stretch running to that side. Going hurry up when he knows a defense is tired, or have a fat out of shape nose.  Not necessarily those, but those types of things.

For the life of me, I cannot see any, but I don't pretend to know a defenses weaknesses other than what I hear, "their secondary sucks" types of things.

Thx

Wonderful article.

Two things concern me with the play action plays:

They take just a little longer so protection is an issue.

RG3 has not shown a consistency the various routes thus far this season.

Regardless, I do feel PA is the proper way to deek the LB's.

A good old flea flicker from mid-field might be fun. :)

The Rook

I still expect the Dallas defense to try to do what everyone else seems to have done this year: set out to stop the run, and bring pressure up the middle on RGIII when they expect the pass, although from a reply in a different thread it seems their options for doing so have been limited so far to Ware stunting inside. It really is set up for RGIII to beat them with short passes, and Garcon gets plenty of YAC. The Dallas defense hasn't been good this year, and I've been encouraged by the last two games on offense, but it's past time this offense showed something in the first half, let alone the first quarter.

That said, our best hope for winning lies in Romo sits to pee's inconsistency. It's possible but by no means certain for Hall to keep Bryant relatively quiet, but that still leaves Witten, Miles Austin (probably) and Terrence Williams - there'll probably be a fight on the Dallas sidelines amongst their receivers to get on the field against our secondary. While their defense on paper looks to be a good matchup for us, our defense looks tailor-made for them too.

I agree with this.  Plus we need to tackle better.  

In addition the burden of the D will be on our front 7 and especially  Rak, Kerrigan and Cofield to put pressure on Romo sits to pee.  if they can consistently do this and we rush only 4 doing it, then we have a half-ass chance to slow down their passing attack.

I'm holding out hope the Redskins begin to finally start playing into their strengths and not the opponents weaknesses.

RG3 has been damn good through the air in 3-4 WR sets, yet we don't use these until we're behind.  Instead we stick to some form of I/Pistol with multiple people in the backfield.

1st down - stick routes

2nd down - run after stick routes have been incomplete

3rd down - WR screen

This isn't a winning formula Kyle, get over your father's damn scheme and start putting players in position to succeed, the sooner the better.

What guarantee is there that there won't be any linebackers dropping?

That's the beauty of the chess match. If all those guys go flying out of there, sinking 15+ yards deep to cover the Dig, for example, you run an underneath Drag route right where those guys vacated. 

If you click on the link you'll see examples that LL has drawn up from the Kansas City game and the San Diego game. If dallas persists on having their LBs cover one-on-one on TEs, for example, we should be able to rely on our quote "hybrid athletic" guys to win those match-ups. 

DG,

What direction you want the offense to head in?  Seems so predictable as of late.

Personally I want more helu, more 3+ WR sets, more shotgun (not pistol), more roll outs. 

IMO they're just trying to force this misdirection offense, even when it's not working, and not fooling anybody.

I am interested in advanced play action stats. On any given play action pass, how many times and how successful were the running plays before it.  Or, what were the 10 plays before it. The score. Like the play in the OP; was that after the Giants had run 5 times straight, etc. First play of the game, up by 14?

Also, count the number of players that bought into the fake. Was it one LB, or was it 4 players. Who is best at selling play action with no running game? Peyton; perhaps RG3.

I just think aggressiveness on display is more telling when it is a situation where the LBs had no reason to buy in hook line and sinker.  If the G had run 10 straight times before that play, well, that LB play is to be expected. Its easier to judge the play with greater perspective.

Anyways, just a random thought. Keep up the great work LL56.

Imo there are so many options with our personnel that could get the job done.

I'm on my phone or else I would copy and paste a critique of the offense from last game.

But in broad strokes:

EARLY 1st ~15 type play thoughts:

o get positive gains on first down:

-naturally I'm inclined towards the running game on 1st downs early in the game just for the sake of efficiency and sustaining drives and establishin/setting up other stuff BUT I would rather see I-pistol stretch/outside zone then inside zone or pistol toss (which has become a predictable staple run that rarely set-ups play action) our inside zone/runs have been getting stuffed and our read-option w/Griff as only a quasi threat invite 8 man fronts and make life difficult for Alf.... I've also noticed the classic Denver WCO stretch/boot-keep series from pistol work better then that other stuff

TLDR: establish pistol stretch/outside zone runs early which sets up boot action later

- another possibly more elegant but imho less likely option for 1st downs: Packaged read-option play with a run options+tunnel screen option+smash or other route combo preferable from a spread formation

o get Griffin comfortable in the passing game with easy throws early (2nd down?) before we get to a 3rd and long we need to get Griff a couple/few 'easy' throws e.g: tunnel screen (not on 3rd down); TE or RB screen; bootleg or sprint easy hi-lo read.....and wait for it.....something we don't do often that is typically a staple of WCO offenses?.....THROW A SLANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o get the backs involved in the pass game by design as the not necessarily as checks downs only. Have the other receivers clear out and hit DY(whatever happened to him) or Helu out of the backfield

------------------------REST OF GAME-------------------

o take some shots down field

o don't forget about Fred

o would love to see more spread (but not holding my breath)

o stick with the run; let's get some back to back run calls and some runs on 3rd and short (again not holding my breath)

o more uptempo

o use formations to create match ups

o use TE to attack seams

If we're going to get the zone-stretch/boot game going, I'd like to see it done out of 12 personnel.  IMO we don't run enough weakside running plays, to keep defenses honest, so when we come out in some variation of I with a strong side, teams just flow to the strong side of the play and leave the weakside DE to contain RG.

With 12 on the field, the stretch/PA becomes much less predictable for two main reasons. 

-No strong side

-When you run the PA weakside TE will fake his block

I also believe it's easier to attack a defense in the passing game from this personnel.

Any interest in getting a game of madden 13 in?  Send me a PM if so, I'll be getting home from work around 4:45

Seeing your 2nd post now, would love to see more uptempo.

Whatever personnel they choose.

12 is a good way to get both Fred and Reed on the field.

This offense has so many options.

We gotta get right. Execute. No more dumb penalties/time outs etc.

Griff has to be make the right reads be quick, decisive and accurate. The play calling needs to help him.

On time on target. Grip it and rip it.

Think the Play Action post should be open and available like it was last season if they choose to use it. I'm pretty sure we will see it a lot.

Well done LL as usual. I think we are going to see RG3 explode back on to scene Sunday night. Well that's what a little birdy told me anyways. :ph34r:

HTTR

Agreed DG. 

I think Kyle gets lost in his playbook and loses focus at times. It becomes more important to find X play instead of taking advantage of the weakest link on D.  Using all his players a little is more important than targeting Garcon 20 times. 

I have suspected we don't use hurry up because it eats directly into his play calling time. All speculation on my part, of course. But it sure seems to take a long time to get plays in.

But if Dallas's weakness is its secondary, get after it. If they can't stop Garcon, why try and force the ball anywhere else. Make teams adjust and target burning the inevitable adjustment.

Every game my hope and faith are renewed. With 2 weeks to prepare I'm expecting to see our best game plan of the season with our highest level of execution and the sharpest Griffin we've seen thus far.

Lets go Kyle.

In the words of the great Eddie Calvin Laloush

Lets announce our presence with authority!

Let score on our first possession

Every game my hope and faith are renewed. With 2 weeks to prepare I'm expecting to see our best game plan of the season with our highest level of execution and the sharpest Griffin we've seen thus far.

Lets go Kyle.

In the words of the great Eddie Calvin Laloush

Lets announce our presence with authority!

Let score on our first possession

....Um as you were. Disregard last transmission.

i expected more with 2 weeks to prepare as well against a horrid defense. 

what would you point to as the problem?

In a word? Playcalling.

The same stuff me and Randy have been talking about in this tgread

we agree.

can you tell me specifically from your point of view what you mean?

i ranted in another thread about how ive been suspicious of kyle going back to a dallas game where he got pass happy with a lead. and how trevor matich called out the playcalling this morning on comcast.

so, what would you say are kyles strengths or weaknesses?

Did you check a few posts back? On my phone.

------------------------REST OF GAME-------------------

o take some shots down field

o don't forget about Fred

o would love to see more spread (but not holding my breath)

o stick with the run; let's get some back to back run calls and some runs on 3rd and short (again not holding my breath)

o more uptempo

o use formations to create match ups

o use TE to attack seams

These are some of my thoughts

Imo there are so many options with our personnel that could get the job done.

I'm on my phone or else I would copy and paste a critique of the offense from last game.

But in broad strokes:

EARLY 1st ~15 type play thoughts:

o get positive gains on first down:

-naturally I'm inclined towards the running game on 1st downs early in the game just for the sake of efficiency and sustaining drives and establishin/setting up other stuff BUT I would rather see I-pistol stretch/outside zone then inside zone or pistol toss (which has become a predictable staple run that rarely set-ups play action) our inside zone/runs have been getting stuffed and our read-option w/Griff as only a quasi threat invite 8 man fronts and make life difficult for Alf.... I've also noticed the classic Denver WCO stretch/boot-keep series from pistol work better then that other stuff

TLDR: establish pistol stretch/outside zone runs early which sets up boot action later

- another possibly more elegant but imho less likely option for 1st downs: Packaged read-option play with a run options+tunnel screen option+smash or other route combo preferable from a spread formation

o get Griffin comfortable in the passing game with easy throws early (2nd down?) before we get to a 3rd and long we need to get Griff a couple/few 'easy' throws e.g: tunnel screen (not on 3rd down); TE or RB screen; bootleg or sprint easy hi-lo read.....and wait for it.....something we don't do often that is typically a staple of WCO offenses?.....THROW A SLANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o get the backs involved in the pass game by design as the not necessarily as checks downs only. Have the other receivers clear out and hit DY(whatever happened to him) or Helu out of the backfield

these too

Trevor Matich post game was livid that Kyle was not adapting. He was all riled up getting into exactly how you run a certain play, and then adjust to how D defends it. He went as far to say it was the worst called game he had ever seen, I presume from Kyle. I know it was an emotion driven rant. I wonder who he posts here as!

As usual, very bummed at Kyle's calls. Running Morris up the gut way to much. Sure he can fight through a few, but that is not how we are built. He ran our finesse back Helu up the gut, including in our 2 minute drill.

Where are the zone stretch runs wide? I would have run D left and right, go hurry up and dial up deep. Go play action from a long slow run fake wide. Why was RG3 like a statue in the pocket most of the time? Our WRs run sideways far too much. Its no wonder we have zero vertical game. we don't run the routes. When we do, RG3 misses... and its ugly.  We never even draw a PI call. While RG3 is under pressure our WRs have run 25 yds but are only 5 yards down field.

Ugh I had such high hopes for our offense this year but its clear they made no new adjustments for the new year, and showed up with our playbook from last year. Sure there are a few small new plays, two blockers on a read option, but they are littered with plays like the 3rd and long QB draw, the lateral to Moss; a disdain for anything resembling a vertical game.

The worst, RG3 the statue in the pocket. We only use his legs on designed runs.

Did you check a few posts back? On my phone.

These are some of my thoughts

these too

lol. hey, i did say specific. that is pretty specific. 

just nice to hear someone whos opinion i respect have the same 'wtf' reaction to the playcalling i sometimes have. 

Trevor Matich post game was livid that Kyle was not adapting. He was all riled up getting into exactly how you run a certain play, and then adjust to how D defends it. He went as far to say it was the worst called game he had ever seen, I presume from Kyle. I know it was an emotion driven rant. 

thats the same impression i got. kind of surprised how obviously baffled he was at the playcalling. 

Archived