Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Do We Call Our Base Defense From The Eagles Game?

Scare'D"cats

The opening defense was different compared to later in the game. Opening, we sat back and got gashed and slashed up good, it looked like we were in a Base 3-4 Read React and got Run by. Wow did we look woefully unprepared. Imagine if Haz didnt watch 50 game tapes. 

Someone decided it was best for us to sit in a base D and so we could learn. I can see the rationalization of that, that is fine. Only, we stuck in it for too long. I am not sure what took Haslet so long up in the booth to get aggressively after them.

There has been much discussion about how imperative it is that our defense get to rest. That our offense play slow. I don't buy it, as their O should be equally tired, but whatever. 

If conditioning is a problem, consider the benefits of running an aggressive defense. We have horses on offense now. Haz should not be paranoid about giving up a quick score. The defense will remain rested, and our offense can try and score quickly if they like. 

Again, early on versus philly Haz wanted some tape, i can buy into reading and forcing a long drive to start the game. But if you stay in that mode, you are reacting instead of just using your players, your own systems, to their strengths.  Bring the game to the offense, just like we did when we ran the table 7 straight to close out the year. 

I think the OP intended to ask a serious question not start a competition for the most funny lampoon of the Redskins defense for Qs 1-3.

You're right, but the jokes aren't unwelcome.

If conditioning is a problem, consider the benefits of running an aggressive defense. We have horses on offense now. Haz should not be paranoid about giving up a quick score. The defense will remain rested, and our offense can try and score quickly if they like.

That's true, I would like our D to get a bit more aggressive.  Our offense "should" be good enough to overcome the occasional easy score we let up.

Tired?

This seems to be the only reasonable response in this thread.  I'm not sure what a defense is suppose to do when the offense can't even get a three and out before turning the ball over.  Our offense really crapped the bed and our defense wasn't good enough to compensate.  I don't know why it would be a surprise that our defense isn't good enough to carry the team.

Slow starts and seemingly unplanned game plans have been a feature of Haslett's D since he got here.  The season before Griffin I was wondering if we were whiffing for Griffin.  Game after game we went down a score or two at the very start of games and then appeared to be a half decent D after the horse had bolted, that hasn't changed nor do I think Haslett is the man to do it.

Archived