Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Do We Call Our Base Defense From The Eagles Game?

Judging by the snap counts for our defense, it seems like it was mostly a hybrid nickel/dime D.  Although I'm not the most qualified in terminology for this.  But we had generally had 3 corners, 1 safety, and 1 corner/safety who (if my drunken memory serves) lined up some at corner and some at safety.

Corner's

Josh Wilson - 100% of the defensive snaps

DeAngelo Hall - 100%

David Amerson - 95%

Safety

Bacarri Rambo - 100% of the defensive snaps

Reed Doughty - 8%

Corner/Safety

EJ Biggers - 92% of the defensive snaps

DE/DT's

Barry Cofield - 68% of the defensive snaps

Stephen Bowen - 59%

Kedric Golston - 40%

Chris Baker - 29%

Phillip Merling - 8%

ILB

London Fletcher - 100% of the defensive snaps

Perry Riley - 98%

Bryan Kehl - 2%

OLB

Ryan Kerrigan - 98% of the defensive snaps

Brian Orakpo - 90%

Darryl Tapp - 14%

Brandon Jenkins - 1%

The "Swift" package we've heard so much about, looks like it was only out there for 1 snap.  I'd hazard a guess that we did a modified "Swift" package with Tapp replacing one of the big guys inside on occasion.

I find it interesting that Haslett says he has so much faith in our base package, yet ran something that seems to be about as far away from a traditional 3-4 as you can get.

I'm hoping it's experimentation. We got a lot of new faces in the secondary, so you'd assume there's going to be some getting used to for both the coaches and players. 

I just hope they get the best rotation in the secondary down and fast. That's what made us successful on D last season. 

its called "no pass rush and chase the guy who doesn't have the ball...whoops...where is the ball" base defense.

its called "no pass rush and chase the guy who doesn't have the ball...whoops...where is the ball" base defense.

until we get a defensive coordinator who really understands how to prepare his defense to blitz and cover....we won't have a defense.

Archived