Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Cooley has been asked on multiple shows about Hankerson.   Of course its just his opinion, but he doesn't think Hankerson has it.  Sees him as a role player.  Ditto Aldrick Robinson.    He thinks we only have one legit WR in Garcon.  Gruden in one of his interviews described Garcon as more the possession type as opposed to a deep threat.  I agree.    I'd assume he'd look to acquire a Wr who can take the top off of defenses.  Tate is inconsistent but that describes him IMO more so than Hankerson.   

Yeah, I've been watching cinci since Gruden was hired and all I can say is holy cow AJ Green is one hell of a receiver.  And that offensive line is incredible, Dalton would have all day to throw without much threat of a run game or his own scrambling.

Re-watching our games there are definitely times RG3 just didn't see open guys.  Kind of sad to see on some of those plays.  Hankerson isn't great, but I don't really have a problem with him on the roster.  He gets dinged up a lot, which is a negative, but I think he's good enough to be a #2 on an offense that would feature other threats at te and rb.  He's honestly probably our best #2 in a long time, which is sad itself.

If Gruden or Mcvay or whoever can't develop a player like him I don't know who they could make into a star. Absolutely incredible speed.

He doesn't have 4.21 speed like that video hypes up.  I don't think he has elite speed like a moss, cj2k or DHB, but I expect him to run in the mid-low 4.3s.  To me he's the spitting image of Desean Jackson, but Jackson actually played wr in college so he had a lot more experience with it.  I don't know of overly many successful rb-wr conversions.  Percy Harvin may be one of the more successful ones, and if Archer comes close to that it is a solid pick up for a 5th-6th rounder.  I just wonder how the height will affect him.

Yeah, a lot depends for Archer on just how fast he goes in the 40, if it's really quick someone will over draft him. I like some of the stuff he can do and his potential, just wouldn't want to go there until 5-6th. At that point in the draft anyone who has a shot of improving our flaccid return game is a potential immediate benefit to the team, and good value for it.

successful rb-wr conversions

I feel like in the games that I saw this year, it seemed that Archer was given more opportunities to catch the ball as a receiver, literally lineup in the Slot or even outside, moreso than than any other year previously. He's not just a RB out of the backfield pass catcher.

In 2012 he had more receptions but to my perception, this year, he got more work in WR type alignments.

And, I want to say that the Ohio game this year, his final game for Kent State, we saw the future shape of things to come for Archer.

I'm not saying he's TY Hilton. Hilton was definitely groomed as a WR. But what I am saying is that Archer moves the same way, has just as much quickness and speed as Hilton.

The only thing about Archer and you'll understand this the more you find out about his personality, he's a guy who sometimes can get down on himself in a real hard way. You're going to need a coach who is in his corner and supporting him until he can see his efforts manifested into tangible results. He is a good kid.

The only thing about Archer and you'll understand this the more you find out about his personality, he's a guy who sometimes can get down on himself in a real hard way. You're going to need a coach who is in his corner and supporting him until he can see his efforts manifested into tangible results. He is a good kid.

I could see Jay raving for him a round early. I wouldnt worry about what on this team. Robert is tight with everyone on offense and would keep him in good spirits. Wish we could of kept Bobby Turner.

I'm just not high on Benjamin, he reminds me of Roy Williams.

If you get Roy Williams production out of a 2nd rounder you can't be too mad.  He does have 3 inches and 20 pounds on Williams though.  Reminds me more of Marques Colston.  I think the biggest thing for me is that he's going to be very difficult to defend because his catch radius is huge.  A perfectly placed ball could be completely out of range of a corner who has tight coverage on him, and if the ball isn't thrown perfectly he still has a chance at it due to his size.

He also manhandles corners when blocking.  I don't think that can be understated when we want to run a run-first offense.  He'll completely wipe corners out of the play on outside runs or wr screens.  He's a great compliment to what Garcon does (shifty possession receiver who runs good routes).

I'm just not high on Benjamin, he reminds me of Roy Williams.

Reminds me more of Mike Williams or Stephen Hill

If you get Roy Williams production out of a 2nd rounder you can't be too mad.  He does have 3 inches and 20 pounds on Williams though.  Reminds me more of Marques Colston.  I think the biggest thing for me is that he's going to be very difficult to defend because his catch radius is huge.  A perfectly placed ball could be completely out of range of a corner who has tight coverage on him, and if the ball isn't thrown perfectly he still has a chance at it due to his size.

He also manhandles corners when blocking.  I don't think that can be understated when we want to run a run-first offense.  He'll completely wipe corners out of the play on outside runs or wr screens.  He's a great compliment to what Garcon does (shifty possession receiver who runs good routes).

He is still gonna take a few years to develop. We need difference makers now on the offensive line and defensive backfield.

Reminds me more of Mike Williams or Stephen Hill

He is still gonna take a few years to develop. We need difference makers now on the offensive line and defensive backfield.

He's definitely no Stephen Hill.  That guy was a speedy guy who didn't play big.

You're right in that I don't think Benjamin will post 1000+ yards his rookie season.  Maybe not even 800, but I think he'll help our team in the red zone, which is what we need.  Our offense has been able to drive down the field, but we're settling for fg's.  We don't have any big receiving threats, and Kelvin is really about the best there is in this draft.  Maybe ASF.

Seems to have great balance and some nice cuts.  Too small to run between the tackles and I wonder how he'd be at wr.  Seems like an immediate upgrade at kick return though.

I always lament not looking in to Noel Devine though.  That guy had perhaps the best lateral agility of any rb I've seen since Sanders.  He's playing in Canada now, I'd love to give him a shot as a KR here.

we need some of this

He's definitely no Stephen Hill.  That guy was a speedy guy who didn't play big.

You're right in that I don't think Benjamin will post 1000+ yards his rookie season.  Maybe not even 800, but I think he'll help our team in the red zone, which is what we need.  Our offense has been able to drive down the field, but we're settling for fg's.  We don't have any big receiving threats, and Kelvin is really about the best there is in this draft.  Maybe ASF.

I have said it time and time again and I'll say it now: Kelvin Benjamin is NOT worth the 34th pick in the draft. He is an unpolished route runner who struggles creating seperation and just catching the ball. He has little quickness and the only redeeming quality he has is the fact he is tall. That's it. People will say "oh he's a good blocker and we run it a lot therefor we should pick him", it's not a good idea. While Benjamin might develop into a quality or even star player, the fact is we have too many holes to fill to be drafting developmental players with our top pick. Whoever picks him will have a player who has the ceiling of Alshon Jeffrey, but at this point in his career is more like Mike Williams.

I could see Jay raving for him a round early. I wouldnt worry about what on this team. Robert is tight with everyone on offense and would keep him in good spirits. Wish we could of kept Bobby Turner.

Turner hasn't been fired yet.

I have said it time and time again and I'll say it now: Kelvin Benjamin is NOT worth the 34th pick in the draft. He is an unpolished route runner who struggles creating seperation and just catching the ball. He has little quickness and the only redeeming quality he has is the fact he is tall. That's it. People will say "oh he's a good blocker and we run it a lot therefor we should pick him", it's not a good idea. While Benjamin might develop into a quality or even star player, the fact is we have too many holes to fill to be drafting developmental players with our top pick. Whoever picks him will have a player who has the ceiling of Alshon Jeffrey, but at this point in his career is more like Mike Williams.

He's a plodder. I'm not sure he ever will be an accomplished route runner as opposed to Jeffery who is much more controlled and has more coordinated feet.

You act like a 2nd round wr should be Calvin Johnson.  You exaggerate his flaws and diminish his strong points.  Yes, he has drops.  He also catches with his hands and has some downright impressive catches.  He isn't shifty, but he does have good speed.  He can be a deep threat.  He is also a nightmare to defend around the goal line, which is something we absolutely do not have at wr.  Downplay his blocking all you want, he still crushes on blocks and that is an ability most receivers don't have.  I've seen him pancake linebackers.  Of course he's unpolished, it's only his second year playing at the college level, the nice part of that is you have a raw ball of clay to mold at receiver.  A guy who could probably be a 6-8 td guy as a rookie is not a waste of a pick at all.

You act like a 2nd round wr should be Calvin Johnson. You exaggerate his flaws and diminish his strong points. Yes, he has drops. He also catches with his hands and has some downright impressive catches. He isn't shifty, but he does have good speed. He can be a deep threat. He is also a nightmare to defend around the goal line, which is something we absolutely do not have at wr. Downplay his blocking all you want, he still crushes on blocks and that is an ability most receivers don't have. I've seen him pancake linebackers. Of course he's unpolished, it's only his second year playing at the college level, the nice part of that is you have a raw ball of clay to mold at receiver. A guy who could probably be a 6-8 td guy as a rookie is not a waste of a pick at all.

This exactly. If he had his physical attributes and was a great route runner, no drops, etc, he'd be in the discussion for #1 overall pick. Definitely top 5. But we're talking about him at 34.

All that said, I can still see someone taking him as high as the 20-25 range depending on how the combine goes. So the talk of him being there at 34 might be irrelevant.

Do not draft a WR in the 2nd round. We need DL, LB, and G/RT more than a WR. We can get help with WR in FA that will help out sooner than drafting a WR that takes a few yrs to develop

Top tier FA WRs are also expensive. Also, IMO we have no weaker unit on this team than WR. Not LB, not OG, certainly not DL.

You act like a 2nd round wr should be Calvin Johnson.  You exaggerate his flaws and diminish his strong points.  Yes, he has drops.  He also catches with his hands and has some downright impressive catches.  He isn't shifty, but he does have good speed.  He can be a deep threat.  He is also a nightmare to defend around the goal line, which is something we absolutely do not have at wr.  Downplay his blocking all you want, he still crushes on blocks and that is an ability most receivers don't have.  I've seen him pancake linebackers.  Of course he's unpolished, it's only his second year playing at the college level, the nice part of that is you have a raw ball of clay to mold at receiver.  A guy who could probably be a 6-8 td guy as a rookie is not a waste of a pick at all.

You didn't describe a WR worthy of the 34th pick. Put the hands aside for a second because to me that's not his biggest flaw. His feet are nowhere near quick enough, he takes too long to stop and start, he has below average body control and fluidity when running routes which all together tells me defensive backs will have a good beat on what route he is about to run when he breaks out of his stem. If you put him in a deep WR corps that allows him to play to his strengths he could be a very nice cog for your offense, but with the 34th overall pick you want a more complete WR and he ain't one.

All that said, I can still see someone taking him as high as the 20-25 range depending on how the combine goes. So the talk of him being there at 34 might be irrelevant.

I could see DEN NE SF CAR and SEA(Bleh) take a swing on him in the 20s. Maybe as early Baltimore

You didn't describe a WR worthy of the 34th pick. Put the hands aside for a second because to me that's not his biggest flaw. His feet are nowhere near quick enough, he takes too long to stop and start, he has below average body control and fluidity when running routes which all together tells me defensive backs will have a good beat on what route he is about to run when he breaks out of his stem. If you put him in a deep WR corps that allows him to play to his strengths he could be a very nice cog for your offense, but with the 34th overall pick you want a more complete WR and he ain't one.

You are still down playing his strengths. He high points the ball as best as I have seen from a receiver since CJ. He uses his body and size as anyone in the game. That stuff is very difficult to teach. I mean look at our own Hankerson. Decent size and still doesnt use it.

If Benjamin posts a decent 40 time at the combine its possible he is the first WR drafted. I don't think he will make it past New England in the first round...

Sammy Watkins wont be overthrown. 

He won't be a complete wr, that's true.  He wasn't one for FSU.  He was complimentary to Greene, who is almost the spitting image of Garcon.  What he does do well he can do at not just a good level, but an elite level.  He's a deep threat due to good speed but huge size advantage.  He's got enough speed to beat a guy vertically.  You wouldn't run a ton of out routes, comebacks or curls, but the rest of the route tree he should be fine with.  This is almost exactly like how Colston is ran in NO.  He is not very agile either.  In the endzone it is a whole other matter though.  Benjamin is almost impossible to defend without getting PI.  And I keep going back to his blocking.  It really is tops in this class for WR.  This isn't just for running, but wr screens which I imagine will be a huge part of this offense.  It's also not wise to try to jam him at the line, which is something we don't have at wr.

Basically he's the yin to Garcon's yang.  The weaknesses of one is the strengths of the other.  There are plenty of wr who I think might have more overall tools than Benjamin, but for what he does do well, he's the best at it in this class.

He won't be a complete wr, that's true.  He wasn't one for FSU.  He was complimentary to Greene, who is almost the spitting image of Garcon.  What he does do well he can do at not just a good level, but an elite level.  He's a deep threat due to good speed but huge size advantage.  He's got enough speed to beat a guy vertically.  You wouldn't run a ton of out routes, comebacks or curls, but the rest of the route tree he should be fine with.  This is almost exactly like how Colston is ran in NO.  He is not very agile either.  In the endzone it is a whole other matter though.  Benjamin is almost impossible to defend without getting PI.  And I keep going back to his blocking.  It really is tops in this class for WR.  This isn't just for running, but wr screens which I imagine will be a huge part of this offense.  It's also not wise to try to jam him at the line, which is something we don't have at wr.

Basically he's the yin to Garcon's yang.  The weaknesses of one is the strengths of the other.  There are plenty of wr who I think might have more overall tools than Benjamin, but for what he does do well, he's the best at it in this class.

If we're talking 34 overall Jordan Matthews can do what Benjamin does well enough and is a MUCH more complete receiver. There are similarities to Colston but Colston has better feet IMO. New Orleans did have the players around Colston that are about what Benjamin would require (notice Colston was at his best when they had Lance Moore and Meacham/Henderson playing at a high level) so if we can somehow put that around him I'd be a little more comfortable taking him at 34. If I'm not sure that I have the slot threat to keep linebackers and strong safeties away from him, and a deep threat to keep the FS from bracketing him I don't touch him that high.

Archived