Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin - Adrian Dantley... Comfortable, Crossing-Guard

Dan T.

DC area hoopsters know the name - legendary Adrian Dantley, who was a man among boys during his playing days at Dematha High School in the early 70s. He led the Stags on a 43 game winning streak against DC's toughest hoops competition. His powerful inside game was nutured on the playground by playing "Glenn Harris" ball - one-on-one games with no foul calls allowed and no holds barred. Playing that type of street ball in the summers, he was unstoppable inside during Dematha's games.

He went on to star at Notre Dame and had a Hall of Fame NBA career... 6 time all-star, 2 time scoring champion, career scoring average of 25 points/game.

As prolific as he was on the court, apparently he was frugal off it. He pocketed his per diem money. So there's no story here about a sports superstar frittering away millions.

He's set financially. He's also working as a school crossing guard in hometown Silver Spring. Interesting article. (Don't let the byline stop you from reading. ;) )

http://deadspin.com/why-is-one-of-the-nbas-all-time-greatest-scorers-worki-453840265

My cousin played at Good Counsel and talked about how insanely strong Dantley was in the paint.

I don't think there is anyone who really plays the way Dantley did. The closest modern comparison is Zach Randolph, though Z-bo has about five inches on him. He was a 6'5 guy who was nailed to the floor yet scored all his points in the post.

I don't think there is anyone who really plays the way Dantley did. The closest modern comparison is Zach Randolph' date=' though Z-bo has about five inches on him. He was a 6'5 guy who was nailed to the floor yet scored all his points in the post.[/quote']

He used his off arm like a battering ram on his shots down low. Subtly.

He used his off arm like a battering ram on his shots down low. Subtly.

He also created a ton of space with his butt. Moses Malone did that better than anyone, but Dantley was a master too. (Moses also used his ass to create space for offensive rebounds. Dantley used it to get off an endles variety of shots in the near the paint).

Who cares how he played. This guy should be a hero for saving his money knowing it wouldn't last forever, making sure he was debt free when he retired and didn't go out and blow all his money on jewelry, cars, multiple houses, a posse or strip clubs. Players should look up to him. Not saying they should be cheap or live on only $1500 a month, but realize that this is the only time in their lives that they will make this kind of money and it doesn't go very far if you don't plan. I always said, if I were ever in that position, 1/2 of my net salary would be put into an account/trust that would be my retirement that I couldn't touch until I was 55. So, if I played pro sports from 22-35 or 40 years old (depending on the sport), I would find a career to hold me over until 55. Then you collect the retirement at 55, then SS at 65 and you're set. At 55, I'd still be young enough to travel and do some things.

We good referees call that the Shaq Syndrome. All refs need to guard against that.

I never complained though Dan. I used to get smacked in the head, pushed in the back, and my foot PURPOSELY stepped on. :ols: But I never complained. And I could actually shoot FT, but I never complained... But now that I think about how many superstars in the NBA complain, I wish I had done it :ols:

---------- Post added March-20th-2013 at 01:53 PM ----------

Who cares how he played. This guy should be a hero for saving his money knowing it wouldn't last forever, making sure he was debt free when he retired and didn't go out and blow all his money on jewelry, cars, multiple houses, a posse or strip clubs. Players should look up to him. Not saying they should be cheap or live on only $1500 a month, but realize that this is the only time in their lives that they will make this kind of money and it doesn't go very far if you don't plan. I always said, if I were ever in that position, 1/2 of my net salary would be put into an account/trust that would be my retirement that I couldn't touch until I was 55. So, if I played pro sports from 22-35 or 40 years old (depending on the sport), I would find a career to hold me over until 55. Then you collect the retirement at 55, then SS at 65 and you're set. At 55, I'd still be young enough to travel and do some things.

All of this ^

For the life of me, I never understood why people spend so much money on trivial things. Isn't there a player in the NBA who father controls his checks? It's a peculiar way to monitor how someone spends their money, but I ain't even mad. He will be better off for it.

By the way, Dave McKenna wrote some really good local-interest sports stories for the City Paper. Like this Dantley article. It's too bad he got hung up on his anti-Dan Snyder crusade, because it overshadowed a lot of his other work.

My cousin played at Good Counsel and talked about how insanely strong Dantley was in the paint.

His senior year at DeMatha was the year my alma mater (Carroll) probably had their best team since the days of John Thompson in the early 60's. There were some classic battles that I had the privilege to witness just a few rows from the floor. I believe the WMAC Championship that year was held at Cole Field House. As I recall, AD scored a whole bunch of points to lead his team to victory.

AD and Eddie Jordan (Carroll) on the same court that year was just beautiful basketball to watch.

I never complained though Dan. I used to get smacked in the head, pushed in the back, and my foot PURPOSELY stepped on. :ols: But I never complained. And I could actually shoot FT, but I never complained... But now that I think about how many superstars in the NBA complain, I wish I had done it :ols:

---------- Post added March-20th-2013 at 01:53 PM ----------

All of this ^

For the life of me, I never understood why people spend so much money on trivial things. Isn't there a player in the NBA who father controls his checks? It's a peculiar way to monitor how someone spends their money, but I ain't even mad. He will be better off for it.

Turns out article was not 100% accurate

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/01/klay-thompsons-dad-will-cut-his-allowance-after-league-fine-im-not-kidding/

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell

Story that Mychal Thompson receives son Klay’s paycheck and would deduct $ for fight was a joke. Warriors pay Klay directly.

Expand

Archived