Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7.com: Why Robert Griffin III Deserved to Win Rookie of the Year

KCClybun

One writer at ESPN said that Wilson should have won it because his numbers were better in the last half of the season.......so, in other words, Wilson is better than a one-legged Griffin. :ols:

That writer is Mike Sando and he is the biggest homer going. He campaigned for Wilson the entire year like he was his cousin. He would distort his numbers to come up favorably to every qb in the NFL. Look at his bio and you will see he comes from the Seattle paper and lives in the city. The ESPN website blew up with Seahawks fans moaning about the vote right after the ceremony. They are downright rude fans. Talking how RG3 will be in a wheelchair in three years and how they beat the Skins on their home field... Very classless. It's too bad because Russell Wilson is a very likeable kid. I maintained all along that a legitimate argument could be made for all three.

Good article NCL, but I disagree that Griffin was supposed to lead us to the playoffs THIS year. Maybe he had that expectation, but short of a few fans in here, I think most of us were looking for 8-8 while battling for a wild card spot and if we didn't make it, we knew it was a step up from the 5-11 seasons. If we did make it, it was just icing on the cake for most of us. I think all of us were expecting a playoff run in 2013-14 season, but not this year.

We might not have expected it, but the media certainly did overblow how we needed to win now for the cost of drafting Robert Griffin III to be justified. I heard a lot of "THEY WANT TO GO TO THE PLAYOFFS NOW!" on ESPN and especially NFL Network.

Every yard gained in that craptastic division is like .456 yards when converted to NFC East yardage.

Trollish post there but I laughed out loud.

Anyway, I've learned to ignore the Colts homers. They've been doing damage control ever since it became clear that Luck was closer to Sam Bradford than John Elway. I think he'll be a good QB in time - after all, Flacco and Ryan eventually become above-average to elite QBs, but Luck simply does not have the arm talent of a superstar QB, and while Peyton or Brady don't have elite arm talent or athleticism either, Brady and Manning have had extraordinary offensive stability, have an understanding of the offense so advanced that they're essentially coaches on the field, and have sky-high football IQ. Again, people were projecting Luck to be this genius QB when it's just that, a projection.

I posted this list on the Colts forums.

He is the first rookie in NFL history to throw for more than 300 yards, two touchdowns and no picks in his first start, and the first rookie quarterback in NFL history to finish the first half of his first game with a perfect passer rating.

He is the first rookie in NFL history to throw 4 touchdowns in back to back games in the NFL season, the second player in NFL history to throw four touchdowns in back to back games, and the first player to do so without the benefit of a bye week in between.

He is the first player in NFL history to throw for over 3200 yards, rush for 800 yards, and have a completion percentage over 60%.

He broke the record for rookie passer rating set by Ben Roethlisberger in 2004 (102.4), and finished third in passer rating behind Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers.

He is just the 54th man in NFL history to record a “Perfect Game”, beating the Eagles with a passer rating of 158.3 and having just one incomplete pass.

He’s the first rookie to have two touchdowns of 65+ yards in his first two starts since Greg Cook in 1969.

He tied with Ben Roethlisberger for the 2nd most games with a passer rating over 100. (Russell Wilson ultimately broke is in first place.)

Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson are the only rookie quarterbacks in NFL history to finish the regular season with a passer rating over 100.

He has the lowest percentage of passes intercepted (1.3), breaking Charlie Batch’s record (1.98.)

He had the fourth best completion percentage in the league.

He set the rookie record for rushing yards in a season by a quarterback. (815)

He led the league in yards per pass attempt. (8.1)

He led the league in yards per carry. (6.9)

His 76 yard touchdown versus the Minnesota Vikings was the second longest run by a quarterback in NFL history and the first 70+ yarder since Kordell Stewart in 1996.

He is the first quarterback in NFL history to have four 60+ yard touchdowns and a 60+ yard rushing touchdown.

Robert Griffin III and Dan Marino (1983) are the only rookie quarterbacks in NFL history to be selected to the Pro Bowl outright. (I.E, without someone else having to drop out first.)

He’s the only quarterback in NFL history with over 750 rush yards to finish with a passer rating over 100.

He’s the only quarterback in NFL history with over 75 rush yards to finish with a 4:1 touchdown to INT ratio.

Set the Redskins franchise rookie record for completions,

He set the record for rookie completion percentage in one game (93%).

He led the Washington Redskins to their first division title since 1999, their first 10 win season since 2005, and just their third playoff appearance in the last 20 years.

He influenced other playoff teams like the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks to adopt elements of the read-option and the pistol formation, both of which were supposed to be impossible to make work in the NFL.

He was a two time NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month, two time NFC Offensive Player of the Week, 7 time Pepsi Rookie of the Week, a Pro Bowl selection, and the Sporting News and PFW/PFWA Rookie of the Year.

I pretty much broke their thread.

Hat Schroeder?

Looking back, our biggest mistake may have been getting rid of Rypien for Norv's first year.

But I would like to say that having the Cult of Colt during Campbell's tenure doesn't mean anything. This is a fanbase that fell in love with Babe Laufenberg

The worst thing about all of this is it's made a lot of people hate very good football players like Luck and Wilson. Seriously, I've had to keep myself from wishing ill on them a few times because of these moronic fans they have. Luck and Wilson both had great years as rookies as well, it's too bad their fans are ruining the good will and understanding that should be there between us all. We're all very fortunate fan bases to have the guys we do at quarterback.

For all the Colts fans who are lying to themselves about not losing on purpose to get Luck, stop trippin, Shanny had to much class to lose on purpose, I definitely was one to scream "just Lose", But the players let me down in that regard. Someone should go to the Colts board and tell them we know they cheated to even get Luck. And by they way , that team just did not fall off the map given the personnel they had in place the year before.

Again Colts fans should stop trippin.

The worst thing about all of this is it's made a lot of people hate very good football players like Luck and Wilson. Seriously, I've had to keep myself from wishing ill on them a few times because of these moronic fans they have. Luck and Wilson both had great years as rookies as well, it's too bad their fans are ruining the good will and understanding that should be there between us all. We're all very fortunate fan bases to have the guys we do at quarterback.

True.

I remember after the Redskins lost to the Seahawks in the playoffs, the local media here in Richmond and others were trying to get folks locally to now root for the Seahawks because of Wilson (he grew up here... went to school in Henrico County, I believe).

It didn't work. :) The nastiness of their fans laughing RG3's injury, the attitude of the Seahawk players, most were happy to see Seattle lose.

Just like most weren't sorry when Luck lost in the playoffs as well.

Great article. The people who are trying to argue that Luck or Wilson should have won OROY are probably just looking at overall stats and not considering the effect that Robert had on the Redskins.

I would suggest finding a good proof reader. My untrained mind found many typos and grammatical errors.

I posted this list on the Colts forums.

I pretty much broke their thread.

Are you kidding? I thought this guy destroyed you.

First of all lost me when he beat out Charlie batch for a record. A lot of the other records were pretty much poop also. I'm sure someone can make up a list of Lucks accomplishments that would destroy that.

All you have are facts, while he's sure he's right! :ols:

Archived