Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raw Story: Catholic hospital chain beats malpractice suit by saying fetuses aren’t people

mistertim

I swear, no one can do anything right for some people :rolleyes:

Is my sarcasm detector broken? The Church waited until after they won the case and then decided the winning strategy was inconsistent with their beliefs. You think its unreasonable to ask whether the Church plans to correct this fault?

I don't know enough facts in the case to know whether the hospital was actually negligent. If it wasn't, they should argue that case. If the fetus was lost due to their negligence then by their own beliefs they were responsible for someone's death and should act accordingly.

Is my sarcasm detector broken? The Church waited until after they won the case and then decided the winning strategy was inconsistent with their beliefs. You think its unreasonable to ask whether the Church plans to correct this fault?

I don't know enough facts in the case to know whether the hospital was actually negligent. If it wasn't, they should argue that case. If the fetus was lost due to their negligence then by their own beliefs they were responsible for someone's death and should act accordingly.

Actually, like I said before, I doubt "The Church" had any clue that this case even existed while it was being litigated. Catholic Hospitals are independent entities run by their own administrators and non-profit boards. They hire their own attorneys. They don't run to a Bishop for spiritual guidance every time they get sued.

I suspect that the Catholic Church heirarchy learned about this the same way we did, in a newspaper story.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 03:49 PM ----------

I swear, no one can do anything right for some people :rolleyes:

There is a lot of pent-up animus toward the Catholic Church right now, and understandably so because of the child abuse scandals. No one is going to give it the benefit of the doubt on anything. I understand that.

The only reason I say anything is because I have experience with how Catholic hospitals and charities are run, and it isn't as an "arm of the Church."

Actually, like I said before, I doubt "The Church" had any clue that this case even existed while it was being litigated. Catholic Hospitals are independent entities run by their own administrators and non-profit boards. They hire their own attorneys. They don't run to a Bishop for spiritual guidance every time they get sued.

I suspect that the Catholic Church heirarchy learned about this the same way we did, in a newspaper story.

I pretty much expect that's the case. My point was that the "some people are never satisfied" is not warranted in this situation.

I pretty much expect that's the case. My point was that the "some people are never satisfied" is not warranted in this situation.

And I disagree.

I'm okay with future questions, I was more responding to a few posters in here being smartasses...particularly when Predicto has already given a brief summary of a Catholic Hospital's relation to the Catholic Church.

Archived