Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we are going to beat Tampa.

Art

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

According to the latest injury report, Keyshawn and Williams are questionable. Keyshawn's injury is a thigh bruise -- hard to imagine he won't play. Jurevicius, however, is listed as out.

According to Gruden he is very questionable so that doesn't sound good at all, to be honest Keyshawn is only good at yapping anyway.

Originally posted by All_da_way

That looks like the Bucs WR line up. Someone will have to step up their game.

Bailey and Smoot are more than able to shut down Johnson and Jurevicius, so I don't see your back-up receivers doing any damage to us, even if they do step up.

Originally posted by All_da_way

Sure I can explain. It is simple: Art makes a guarantee, then I make my guarantee. 1+1 =2.

;)

The Bucs defense played well for 56 minutes. But as well you all know that is not enough. I know that the Bucs defense is still good and hopefully they are off that high horse of claiming to be the number one defense of all time and focus on finishing games.

Healthwise the Bucs are beat up but so are many teams. No excuse. Special teams breakdown has to do more with the coach then the players. Gruden will have to step in on this (As he did) by cutting three special teams players to send the message.

I am just going to watch the game but I have to optimistic after that four minute choke fest on Monday Night.

Well, I don't think any of us are betting the mortgage on Art's guarantee. :D Still, he did come up with reasons WHY he was guaranteeing it.

I think anyone would be crazy to sell the Bucs D short, and that because Manning was able to pull one out, the Redskins will be able to do it, too.

But, what this season has shown is that the Bucs are susceptible to BOTH a power running game AND an aerial attack. Granted, not many teams are going to be able to do one and/or the other as well as Carolina and Indy did. But, it does show that it can be done, and it gives teams hope that the Buc D can be had. That may take off some of the mental edge that the Buc D enjoyed - it possibly gives other teams increased confidence and also might cause the D's confidence to slip if the other team starts having success.

I hope the Redskins make a good showing, and I think they will. I think it's safe to presume that the Bucs will show up ready to play.

:cheers:

I love debate. Let me touch on some of the comments made. First, DChogs. I never guaranteed a victory against Philly last year. I said it was a game I wanted to but I was still too Norvous to do so, so I fell just short. This is the first time I've had the complete calm with no worries. I may be wrong, obviously. But, this feeling hasn't been wrong in 20 years :).

Next, Oakton with this, "The problem with this Redskins team thus far is that, in making predictions and matchup analysis, you have to take into account the propensity to make too many mental mistakes. These mental mistakes almost always lead to numerous false starts, offsides, personal fouls, etc. While I agree that we match up very well to the Bucs on both sides of the field, I'm sobered somewhat by the unfortunate fact that the Redskins are still playing undisciplined football. Let's hope they can put that behind them this week."

You are RIGHT ON. No one knows the fact or hates the fact that we are so prone to beating ourselves as much as I do. I've harped on this for years. There's no question that we often are our own biggest hinderance to winning. And despite that, I don't see any worries here. Sue me :).

To ASF, and Sonny, and the Buc fan here. I'm not underestimating the magnitude of the Bucs front four talent. You're overestimating it. The Bucs have just 7 sacks all year. They actually have fewer sacks from their front four than we do. Granted we have a game in hand. But, the Bucs aren't just romping through guys. Rice is dangerous as hell and that makes the rest of the line tough down there. Still, the Bucs aren't doing a tremendous amount up front.

The Bucs are among the best teams in the league at the corner blitz. But that doesn't make them a team that likes to blitz a lot and blitzing a lot is not their forte. They are a fundamentally sound team that wins doing what THEY do and they rarely have to compensate for what the opposition is doing to them. That's to their credit. They do this with great team speed on defense. One way to negate this is with a power team that will stick with the running game. I'd submit another way to do it is to match their speed with equal or even greater speed, which removes that advantage from their corner.

With the recent injuries the Bucs have suffered, especially if they are without Johnson, they will have trouble generating a tremendous amount on offense. To me, this is a game that lines up just perfectly for the Skins to win. I don't know about easily, but I've no doubt about the outcome.

Originally posted by Art

To ASF, and Sonny, and the Buc fan here. I'm not underestimating the magnitude of the Bucs front four talent. You're overestimating it. The Bucs have just 7 sacks all year. They actually have fewer sacks from their front four than we do. Granted we have a game in hand. But, the Bucs aren't just romping through guys. Rice is dangerous as hell and that makes the rest of the line tough down there. Still, the Bucs aren't doing a tremendous amount up front.

Sacks is not a good way of indicating QB pressure. The Bucs were leading 21-0 at the half and the Bucs defense did not have a single sack. Sacks sometimes are an overrated stat. Peyton Manning did not have a lot of passing yards either going into the half.

The Bucs front four is solid but they also have a solid rotation as well. This is what upset me about Monday Night. Many of the starters should have pulled themselves if they were fatigued becuase the back ups were fresh and ready to go. The entire defense revolves around the front four getting pressure mainly (not mostly).

Originally posted by Art

The Bucs are among the best teams in the league at the corner blitz. But that doesn't make them a team that likes to blitz a lot and blitzing a lot is not their forte. They are a fundamentally sound team that wins doing what THEY do and they rarely have to compensate for what the opposition is doing to them. That's to their credit. They do this with great team speed on defense. One way to negate this is with a power team that will stick with the running game. I'd submit another way to do it is to match their speed with equal or even greater speed, which removes that advantage from their corner.

The Bucs do like to blitz a lot in the red zone area and at the begining of the game. I agree that the Bucs defense is a fundamentally sound team that wins doing what they do. I DISAGREE with the assumption that the Bucs do no have to compensate what the opposing O will do.

Many times Manning and the Bucs D were audibling back and forth at the line. It was like a chess match. The Bucs won the first half but Manning won the second half. I also disagree with the fact that you have to match the Bucs team speed to beat them. The only slow starter on the Bucs D is John Lynch. The best way to beat this defense is to have a running game a be patient and then you will be able to go over the top. Try firing the ball down field in the beginging and the Bucs defense will create a turnover every time (Ask the Raiders:40oz: ).

Originally posted by Art

With the recent injuries the Bucs have suffered, especially if they are without Johnson, they will have trouble generating a tremendous amount on offense. To me, this is a game that lines up just perfectly for the Skins to win. I don't know about easily, but I've no doubt about the outcome.

I think if Brad Johnson has enough time he will be able to get to the ball to whomever the WR's are. Also look for the Bucs to run the ball a lot and test the Redskins D-line.

I have no doubt it will be a great game. :cheers:

Ask the Raiders

The Raiders failed because they are a dink & dunk offense which just refused to adjust & of which the Bucs eat for dinner. The Colts tried the dink & dunk in the first half & got eaten up as well. They masked it well in the 2nd half using those routes as decoys, along with occasionally dumping it, while Harrison ran overtop of the underneath & middle zone coverages.

Dont know how much of the Colts effectiveness there was due to a relaxed Tampa D, but I highly doubt they were relaxed the entire time the Colts were cutting into that lead.

Originally posted by Saqs

Dont know how much of the Colts effectiveness there was due to a relaxed Tampa D, but I highly doubt they were relaxed the entire time the Colts were cutting into that lead.

The Bucs defense was getting no pressure what so ever.

Originally posted by Art

I love debate. Let me touch on some of the comments made. First, DChogs. I never guaranteed a victory against Philly last year. I said it was a game I wanted to but I was still too Norvous to do so, so I fell just short. This is the first time I've had the complete calm with no worries. I may be wrong, obviously. But, this feeling hasn't been wrong in 20 years :).

memories, sweet memories

ahhh, art, your memory is better than mine. i remembered "this game is in the bag" and not "I'm not, though, going to officially declare this as a "feeling" game and I won't bet it."

however, you did go on to say "...despite the fact that it is the same feeling I've had before and has never been wrong."

anyway, i was just kiddin around in the first place. again, i sincerely hope you are spot on. no debate here. please? pretty please? leave me alone art!

:)

No worries DCHogs. That post keeps being misrepresented to compare to this year. It's the same, yet totally different because this year I'll bet it and there is no Norvitis in this game. Norv himself even had a few games without Norvitis. My memory though is impeccable :).

Originally posted by jbooma

All the way,

Don't you think it is kind of odd that the 2 losses you have is because it is against good teams ?!?! Your 2 wins are against the Falcons (who we beat) Eagles (who we should have beat).

Well considering the games they lost were pretty close...no, not really. The Bucs are a good team when they bring their A game.

But since they haven't they are 2-2.

map,

I think the majority of the board expressed a similar sentiment to the one espoused by our visitor. Last year we did fairly well sacking the QB, but didn't really feel that pressure was being applied. Art, among others, felt that QB sacks, while important, don't tell the whole story if you fail to get consistant pressure.

I think the converse holds as well. The bucs get consistant pressure, but QBs tend to notice and dump off the ball quickly because they know the rush is coming.

-DB

DB, I think your first paragraph is dead on. But, that's not to say that the Bucs get consistent pressure. I've seen all or some of each of their games to this point and I've not been struck by their ability to pressure the QB. Now, they won the Super Bowl last year based on that ability so, it's not like this is a team absent that ability. I'm just not sure it's coming through as obviously now.

Archived