Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Good Argument as to Why Mike Shanahan Should Evaluate his Coaches and Play Calling, Not His Players.

MustangSteve

I think people need to sit back and realize what any other team would look like if they lost their top two pass catchers. That is a huge blow. Would Green Bay and New England still function? Certainly, but not nearly as well. Other teams like the Bengals and Lions would be absolutely crippled. Injuries have decimated our season. Our offense would look sharper, but don't even get started on defense. Our defense would probably look competent if we had all our starters reasonably healthy. I don't think any other team has sustained worse injuries than us. It always seems like we have bad luck with injuries though.

Green Bay has lost their 2 top pass catchers....Jennings and Nelson. And they scored 31 Sunday.And they have lost their tight end as well, and their 2 best defensive players (Woodson and Matthews ) yet their defense has still played solid. Pittsburgh has lost every RB they have had (at some point in the season every one of them missed games) , their 2 best def players yet they still beat the World Champs at their place. That being said, I do think injuries for this team hurt way more than others because of our depth. But whose fault is that?

Green Bay has lost their 2 top pass catchers....Jennings and Nelson. And they scored 31 Sunday.And they have lost their tight end as well, and their 2 best defensive players (Woodson and Matthews ) yet their defense has still played solid. Pittsburgh has lost every RB they have had (at some point in the season every one of them missed games) , their 2 best def players yet they still beat the World Champs at their place. That being said, I do think injuries for this team hurt way more than others because of our depth. But whose fault is that?

This team is ranked ahead of both green bay and the steelers in total offense http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2012&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

and have done it with a below average pass blocking line and recieving core. Expecting a team to keep up this offensive pace consistently with all the top recievers gone and a defense that puts the team in bad positions is to much to ask of any offense. Also the skins would have beat the world champs if it wasnt for a blown coverage at the end of the game.

I do wonder how much better it would have been this year if they hadn't lost 18M of cap space the day before free agency.

The cap penalty will hinder the team a great deal but I think the Skins can overcome this problem. They always been close or over the salary cap and mangaed to get under it. Don't get me wrong I wished Wash hadn't got hit with the penalty but I don't think it'll be as handcuffing as we all thought.

our plays are way too predictable. everybody knows when moss is lined up in the slot hes gonna run a 5 yard cross or square route. they need to send him deep more. he caught the potential winning td against the giants running straight down the field. he caught the 77 yd td from cousins against atlanta. i think moss still has it and is still our guy. he needs to be out on the field more and running deeper routes.

The cap penalty will hinder the team a great deal but I think the Skins can overcome this problem. They always been close or over the salary cap and mangaed to get under it. Don't get me wrong I wished Wash hadn't got hit with the penalty but I don't think it'll be as handcuffing as we all thought.

I might contend that only 1 of our secondary players currently on te roster would actually be on the team if there hadn't been a cap penalty.

And I think that is a huge effect.

100% agree. MS needs to limit the number of read-option and have RG3 run a NFL offense with multiple reads. We need to make RG3 into a pocket passer first and not rely on gimmick and deception.

I couldn't disagree more.

Mike Shannahan is doing a wonderful job in putting Robert in situations he's comfortable in. The Redskins don't currently possess the offensive line nor receivers necessary to have a successful passing attack, no point in throwing Griffin into that situation. The risk of failure/lost confidence is too high.

MS should continue to develop Griffin as he has been, and as he becomes more comfortable with the speed of the NFL/reading defenses/acquire better pieces to surround him with, then you can incorporate more of a pocket-passing offense.

I agree with Mahon21's comments. I now think that Hankerson is not completely back from his hip injury, Moss is not so dangerous a deep threat, and Morgan/Robinson/Briscoe -- they need to get their heads into the game and figure out how to catch and hang on to passes coming their way. That's assuming that Griffin survives all the pummeling he'd get, especially relying on Polumbus for pass protection.

I do believe the Skins have gotten too predictable, mainly because the most reliable pass receiver is a slow-lumbering TE. Frankly, at this point -- Shanahan might want to consider more quasi 2-TE sets, since the most reliable receivers might be Cooley and Paulsen. Heck, that might help the running game, and Griffin's scrambles.

Unfortunately, all signs are pointing to the season being over for Garcon.
They sure don't make them like they use too, they use to play on broken bones.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 10:30 PM ----------

Your right Bishop, because the cap has never been a problem to us and never will be because Dan knows how to contract his players where the money shows more for bonus then for contract. That's just 1 benefit of having not only a rich owner, but a rich Lawyer as well.

We will finish building this team, they are no where near as terrible as people think! Their just young, new and learning a system. Of course they are having growing pains, all new teams do. They are just starting to form, or as some call it, growing together and building that continuity that brings wins and causes the ball to bounce our way.

Even growing up and growing together, this team has put the fear of God into some teams and their fans. Just wait until we are finished building and just starting to hit our prime. This is going to be fun! Not sure if Haslett will get to coach it or watch us in Super Bowls from tv, either way I don't really care. He has truly earned a spot on the bleachers. He was given a top 10 defense and immediately breaks it! Sounds like a spoiled brat with a new toy.

The coaches have to adapt the playcalling/scheme to the personnel they have...With the injuries sustained and the obvious drop off in talent, the same design/plays cant be run. Simplify, go with what works and utilize what you have. Don't be stubborn. Can't keep going the way it's going or doing what you've been doing since the injuries or you'll keep getting what you have ie steelers and carolina games.

The Carolina game was a collection of failures across the board. Dropped balls,play calling, missed throws, defensive ineptitude, penalties at critical times. And they were still in the game. amazing actually. Fix a few of these things and wins will come. Fix most of these things and dominating wins will come.

Until we get a quality right tackle, center, nose tackle and pass rusher we will continue to lose in the trenches and lose games.

More excuses! Orapko goes down, teams key on Kerrigan. Its not hard to figure out. That hurts the pass rush.

---------- Post added November-11th-2012 at 02:50 PM ----------

The Carolina game was a collection of failures across the board. Dropped balls,play calling, missed throws, defensive ineptitude, penalties at critical times. And they were still in the game. amazing actually. Fix a few of these things and wins will come. Fix most of these things and dominating wins will come.

I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived