Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Plan for hunting terrorists signals U.S. intends to keep adding names to kill lists

SkinsHokieFan

Why do you keep bringing it up then? these are just your last few posts in this thread. I think Madison's post sized you up pretty well

Those aren't just my last few posts in this thread. But you already know that you skipped the ones that didn't fit. Military service was not even brought up until the idiocy that "if you are opposed to this then you just don't understand the enemy" was introduced and repeated in this thread. The only other mention was in response to a claim BANG made that laid out the mentality of every warrior in this history of the world. So yeah, there are some people that oppose the way this is being run and not because they think it is an easy world out there...and not because they are going to send someone else to do the job in the manner in which they believe it should be done in keeping with this country's values.

My question to you is...why does the same personality type keep bringing up the fact that it isn't a sing along out there?

Those aren't just my last few posts in this thread. But you already know that you skipped the ones that didn't fit. Military service was not even brought up until the idiocy that "if you are opposed to this then you just don't understand the enemy" was introduced and repeated in this thread. The only other mention was in response to a claim BANG made that laid out the mentality of every warrior in this history of the world. So yeah, there are some people that oppose the way this is being run and not because they think it is an easy world out there...and not because they are going to send someone else to do the job in the manner in which they believe it should be done in keeping with this country's values.

You've made similar posts in a number of other threads. But whatever ...

Sure, I suspect they are right there in that thread where I claimed that the Bin Laden raid was illegal.

Let me refresh your recollection ...

Here's a nice example

You've clearly never been there. Not that that is good or bad. Just obvious to anyone that has.

And another

What does it take? I'm sure I understand a lot. Not so sure what everyone else understands and how that stacks up to what they think they understand.

And yet another!

Their authorities have not changed one bit. You really should bone up on the differences if you ever want to have an intelligent discussion with people that know what is going on. As it is you are coming off as someone that doesn't know much about either...or has watched a bunch of movies that feature the organizations.

And the hits keep coming!

When I was one of our boys on the ground my M4 did not even have a "stun" setting so no, I would not recommend that course of action. But having been there and actually been in harms way and operated under a rules of engagement that certainly authorized lethal force I do think there are other options.

Dear Lord it's raining hubris.

:ols:

Different rules. The rest borders on ignorant. Did someone watch "The Recruit" this morning?

Is it groundhog day?

:ols:

Those aren't the only clueless people out there. Some people don't even realize that this program isn't being run by the military! Some people don't realize that the rules of engagement that govern the behavior of our big bad military don't apply to this program.

Some of us that have concerns about this actually don't live in the pastel colored world you speak of. And actually have done something to address these threats beyond just cheering for our president.

But you are right...many people are clueless

I'm developing carpal tunnel syndrome from hitting these copy and paste buttons.

Funny how talking about the authorities granted to different agencies in our government is tiresome to some people. But then I suspect that reading about it on this forum is about as close as some people ever get to living in that world.

You seem like a bright guy and, given your experience, I think you can offer some interesting insight. That said, the tone of your posts sometimes makes me lose sight of what you may bring to the table.

In any event, how do you propose we deal with terrorist residing in lawless states like Yemen, Somalia and Waziristan?

Let me refresh your recollection ...

Here's a nice example

And another

And yet another!

And the hits keep coming!

Dear Lord it's raining hubris.

Is it groundhog day?

I'm developing carpal tunnel syndrome from hitting these copy and paste buttons.

You seem like a bright guy and, given your experience, I think you can offer some interesting insight. That said, the tone of your posts sometimes makes me lose sight of what you may bring to the table.

In any event, how do you propose we deal with terrorist residing in lawless states like Yemen, Somalia and Waziristan?

Nice work. So you did go back to the thread where I stated that the Bin Laden raid was illegal.(Except if you read the thread then you now realize that your claim that I ever said the Bin Laden raid was illegal is flat out wrong despite numerous attempts to lead the witness in that direction...are you a lawyer?) In that thread you claim over and over that there is no distinction between the military and the intelligence community. And I see that almost a year later you hold that same position. You get credit for being consistent. The raid to kill Bin Laden was categorized a covert action program. Those programs are administered by some organizations and not by others. Very similar to the drone program that we are discussing here. In fact it is very possible that they are all part of the same covert action program.

Now you did copy and paste a lot so hopefully your wrist is feeling better this morning. Almost none of that has anything to do with "wrapping myself" in a flag of service. Most of it is actually related to stuff I have learned since I left(Title 10 vs Title 50 http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/2010/06/4605658/). Anyone that cares to learn about those distinctions can. In fact I always check to see what is available on the WWW before posting anything on these topics.

Now BANGs assertion about every warriors goal since the beginning of time does hit a sensitive spot. I won't mention why because it will be more hubris or wrapping the flag. Or whatever you want to call it. TWAs assertion that there is a different definition of "honor" among the intelligence community and military...well I guess I should have left that one alone also. And I don't remember who made the snarky comment about putting an M4 on stun as a strategy I was advocating because I was discussing other options short of lethal.

What is my suggestion? Well it is sprinkled throughout the 10 pages of a thread from which you pull one quote near the end. Reserve lethal covert action programs for a very limited set of high value targets(Bin Laden, Zwahiri, and similar type people) Return the intelligence community to doing what it is they do...collect and analyze intelligence. Utilize the military and the law enforcement community to act on that intelligence and analysis where it is appropriate. If we can get a UAV there we can get people there. We put people face to face with the number one most wanted person in the world. We are currently holding KSM who at one time was 1A to Bin Laden. If we can get those guys without the use of armed UAVs then we can get anyone. Finally take the time and put forth the effort to understand why we have this "enemy" in the first place and quit discussing it in terms of they hate our freedoms.

edit: Now I know why you took issue with the response to the set M4 on stun message.

For all the pastel colored dreams of the warm-n-fuzzy crowd, these threats are real and we have to address them. Those that think that the whole world would just be a summercamp singalong if only the big bad US military would stop interfering are clueless. US military might, overwhelming power and the threat thereof has been the source of more peace on this planet than any other element in history. The success of our military is the very reason why we have seen radical opposition morph into its current form, unidentified, untraceable, swimming in the sea of whatever populace they have infected. Tanks, planes, missiles, etc., they know how that battle is going to come out, they had to find some other way and they have. So, we find some other way to oppose them. At the moment it is drones, it will be something else in a decade, but the underlying realities will still be the same.

Now, having had my little rah-rah rant, power corrupts, and the most important factors in this is are the basic protections of our system, an elected govt with public interest and systemic review processes overseeing the whole schmear , questions get asked, articles get published, the facts get out sooner or later and someone is held accountable. What passes for nations in a lot of places have little or none of this. We too often take for granted what we have and why we have it.

Like most people i have 'some' issues with this program. I am just grateful we have a democrat in office as this has muffled the 'Outrage" and will probably allow this program succeed.

My tin foil hat says if we had McCain in office there is NO F"ING WAY this would be in its current form, Outrage! would have been Congressional, Media, Hard Ball all day... right now we just have universal uneasiness.

Archived