Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Plan for hunting terrorists signals U.S. intends to keep adding names to kill lists

SkinsHokieFan

This topic is very interesting, hence why I feel it deserves its own thread (as opposed to being stuffed in the Obama/Biden thread where it'll get buried)

Click here for link

Plan for hunting terrorists signals U.S. intends to keep adding names to kill lists

Over the past two years, the Obama administration has been secretly developing a new blueprint for pursuing terrorists, a next-generation targeting list called the “disposition matrix.”

The matrix contains the names of terrorism suspects arrayed against an accounting of the resources being marshaled to track them down, including sealed indictments and clandestine operations. U.S. officials said the database is designed to go beyond existing kill lists, mapping plans for the “disposition” of suspects beyond the reach of American drones.

Although the matrix is a work in progress, the effort to create it reflects a reality setting in among the nation’s counterterrorism ranks: The United States’ conventional wars are winding down, but the government expects to continue adding names to kill or capture lists for years.

Among senior Obama administration officials, there is a broad consensus that such operations are likely to be extended at least another decade. Given the way al-Qaeda continues to metastasize, some officials said no clear end is in sight.

“We can’t possibly kill everyone who wants to harm us,” a senior administration official said. “It’s a necessary part of what we do. . . . We’re not going to wind up in 10 years in a world of everybody holding hands and saying, ‘We love America.’ ”

That timeline suggests that the United States has reached only the midpoint of what was once known as the global war on terrorism. Targeting lists that were regarded as finite emergency measures after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, are now fixtures of the national security apparatus. The rosters expand and contract with the pace of drone strikes but never go to zero.

Meanwhile, a significant milestone looms: The number of militants and civilians killed in the drone campaign over the past 10 years will soon exceed 3,000 by certain estimates, surpassing the number of people al-Qaeda killed in the Sept. 11 attacks.

Click link for rest

I bet they remember their pre911 world where they frolicked freely among the mountains in their black hoods and spent their time playing jihad at their summer camps. I'm sure they long for those days

Now they're huddling in tents across the border like the cowardly little ****es they are counting heads to determine who it was that got a hellfire missile straight up their ass the night before

**** em, every single one of them. No sympathy here. Maybe those ignorant ****s will think twice next time

They'll just have to get by shooting 12 year old girls in the meantime. They're such noble warriors

I bet they remember their pre911 world where they frolicked freely among the mountains in their black hoods and spent their time playing jihad at their summer camps. I'm sure they long for those days

Those guys are all dead. We got them a decade ago.

Just remember, if there is a President Romney, no whining about us launching wars on multiple continents

"We have always been at war with Eurasia..."

While we are on the subject of drones, I must say, I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of establishment conservatives speaking out against them.

Come on.

Obama could kill Ossama bin Laden, and establishment conservatives would speak out against it.

We could solve the GITMO problem real quick

Just put all of them on the secret Tuesday list and send a few drones over Cuba.

Problem solved

There was a time when the debate was whether or not it was in line with our values to deny due process or to simulate drowning. There were arguments made about whether or not we could be sure we had the right people before we held them forever. About whether or not we had the right person before we poured water over their head. Those days are so far gone. Sarge would be so proud

Come on.

Obama could kill Ossama bin Laden, and establishment conservatives would speak out against it.

I don't care for this attitude indifference either. I give Obama a lot of credit for green-lighting the raid. It took elephant balls to do so IMO and I'm not convinced at all with the notion that anyone would have done the same were they in president Obama's position. What I find a little ironic is that Obama, in all likelihood, would not have been given the opportunity to claim credit for doing so, as he so often does-much to the chagrin of the SEALs it would seem, without the use of the harsh interroggation methods used by the Bush administration.

Archived