Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Pro Football Hall of Fame - Nominees

Unforgiven

The Pro Football Hall of Fame has released the preliminary list of nominees for the class of 2013.

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2012/9/27/2013-nominees-for-football-hall-of-fame/?module=HP11_headline_stack

"Offensive linemen Larry Allen and Jonathan Ogden, defensive linemen Warren Sapp and Michael Strahan, defensive back John Lynch and kicker Morten Andersen, are among the 13 first-year eligible modern-era candidates nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2013."

I really don't like how the HOF voters do things now. It seems like all the guys eligible in their first years get voted in. I feel like some guys should wait and unless you are a player like Jerry Rice, most players should not be first ballot guys. I think the voters continue to look too much at the "current" crop of players retiring and there are alot of older guys that I think deserve to get in before guys like Sapp, Lynch or Nate Newton to name a few.

I really don't like how the HOF voters do things now. It seems like all the guys eligible in their first years get voted in. I feel like some guys should wait and unless you are a player like Jerry Rice, most players should not be first ballot guys. I think the voters continue to look too much at the "current" crop of players retiring and there are alot of older guys that I think deserve to get in before guys like Sapp, Lynch or Nate Newton to name a few.

I think you can make an argument for Lynch, Anderson, and Newton, but who would you replace them with? And I think most of the guys who have recently been first ballot, absolutely deserved it. I think the reason why the HOF commitee has slightly shot themselves in the foot, and have somewhat created a logjam, is because they leftt off guys who should've been in years ago.

Maybe you could put Carter/Reed in there, or Parcells, or maybe some other guys, but I definitely think most of those guys should be first ballot. If they'll be first ballot is another story though.

I think you can make an argument for Lynch, Anderson, and Newton, but who would you replace them with? And I think most of the guys who have recently been first ballot, absolutely deserved it. I think the reason why the HOF commitee has slightly shot themselves in the foot, and have somewhat created a logjam, is because they leftt off guys who should've been in years ago.

Maybe you could put Carter/Reed in there, or Parcells, or maybe some other guys, but I definitely think most of those guys should be first ballot. If they'll be first ballot is another story though.

Lynch first ballot? He's not even in the same stratosphere as someone like Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed, whom I consider 1st ballot. I think there is a whole list of guys wh have been overlooked that should be in by now based on their era. Sapp- maybe 1st ballot. He was good, but didn't have a career like Reggie White or Bruce Smith. I questioned Cortez Kennedy getting in 1st ballot. First ballot is what I'm talking about. I'm not saying these guys don't deserve to get in, but why can't they be 2nd, 3rd or 4th time. I look at the Art Monk fiasco and think, some of the older guys just don't deserve to wait as long as they have just so modern guys can say they were "first ballot." First Ballot to me is "unquestionably" deserve to go in and most of these modern guys don't fit that IMO. Gotta go, 5 PM. Quitting time.

This whole discussion is based on a false premise.

Relatively few Hall of Famers get in on the first ballot. There were zero first ballot hall of famers last year. The players that get in first ballot are generally players like Jerry Rice. For example, the only first ballot wide receivers in history were Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, Paul Warfield, and Raymond Berry.

Only five modern era players can be elected each year, so most of the players on this list are not going to make it. If I were making a prediction, I think that Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden and Michael Strahan make it on the first ballot. I think there will be a movement to put Art Modell in this year. The last spot could go to Cris Carter, Warren Sapp, or Charles Haley. It is going to be a tough ballot.

Unless you hate kickers, pretty much every one of them should be first ballot. Lynch maybe could get in on the next go-round.

Steve A****er isnt in yet

Neither is Jack Tatum

Lynch should wait at least as long as A****er has too.

for me, Ogden, Strahan, and Allen are lock.

Sapp is dicey a first ballot. I think Bryant Young was better than him in their primes, but injuries hurt him.

Steve A****er isnt in yet

Neither is Jack Tatum

Lynch should wait at least as long as A****er has too.

for me, Ogden, Strahan, and Allen are lock.

Sapp is dicey a first ballot. I think Bryant Young was better than him in their primes, but injuries hurt him.

the fact that Lester Hayes is not in the Hall of Fame still puzzles me, and I don't think that he will ever get in. Besides him, there are a number of other players that come to mind, the top of the list for recently eligible for me has to include Cris Carter. I have also wondered why Roger Craig is not in.

Archived