Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Holmgren may have some explaining to do to Haslam

For some reason (i.e. Cleveland fans) the Browns have joined the Jets and Steelers as teams outside the NFCE that I actively root against. Love that Weeden looked bad.

I'm probably missing someone, but those are the big three.

Edit: Oooooh the Ravens. Can't believe I forgot them. So basically I root like crazy for the Bengals.

At first I didn't.

But, it makes perfect sense for Holmgren.

Which isn't to say that it was the right pick or the right decision.

But, drafting Weeden in his mind probably bought him time. (not anymore with a new owner)

But ostensibly he blame shifts the Browns predicament on a failed QB=Colt McCoy.

While selling them the promise of a 1st round rookie QB.

Thus buying him time, well up until new ownership.

If this was the case, wouldn't it make more sense to have gone all in on RGIII? I have to think that he would've bought Holmgren more goodwill and time than Weeden.

I think Richardson could have been taken lower than what he was drafted at. Since he had meniscus surgery and could not run, THAT should have been an indication that he was going to be there. They had 2 picks in the 1st rd. Weeden would have been there in the 2nd round. Once again, Holmgren shows his incompetence at running a franchise. I know my uncles who are Brown fans are already almost giving up on the season after they found out Richardson has to go under the knife again.

On top of that, when he tried to get cute and play hardball with the Rams, he got outmaneuvered by us for RG3, and he blames Shanahan's and Fisher's "prior relationship" to have made the scales unfair.

I actually don't think the players he's picked in the 1st round this year are awful (Joe Haden, for what its worth, is actually a top flight corner), but Julio Jones would have been way more valuable to them than Phil Taylor has been. And plus, I do think Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden are good players.

The way Holmgren has put the roster together though is very Vinny-esque. No clear cut plan, no savvy trades or strong maneuvering in the draft, just random picks.

like a ship with no rudder lol, just going where the current takes him/them.

Man, we've been right there with the Browns for a decade. Before we traded up, fans on this board were talking Tannenhil or Weeden (not that there was anything wrong with speculating or anything) in the 2nd and I think I was at an all time low in my Redskins fanhood. Trade was made, Bob the savior comes in, optimism is through the roof and at an all time high. And I'm not on Facebook making statements like "Rex Grossman or John Beck will win 10 games and make the playoffs." Thank God. Seriously.

I think Richardson could have been taken lower than what he was drafted at. Since he had meniscus surgery and could not run, THAT should have been an indication that he was going to be there. They had 2 picks in the 1st rd. Weeden would have been there in the 2nd round. Once again, Holmgren shows his incompetence at running a franchise. I know my uncles who are Brown fans are already almost giving up on the season after they found out Richardson has to go under the knife again.

They should have taken Blackmon at 4, Doug Martin at 22 and taken Weeden at 37. That would have been a solid draft and then they wouldn't have had to use a supplemental pick on a WR. Cleveland showed their hand too much. Everyone knew they wanted Richardson, everyone knew they wanted Weeden and everyone knew they eyed Kendall Wright at 22.

Archived