Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

cbs: Firm Knew Dallas Practice Facility Might Fail, Concealed Evidence

Bliz

Some pretty stunning and serious allegations in this story. The individuals responsible need to be in prison for a few years.

This story is about a week old. Surprised it hasn't made it here yet (or if it did and I missed it, sorry. I did look).

AP Exclusive: Firm knew Cowboys facility may fall

DALLAS — The company that designed and built the ill-fated Dallas Cowboys' practice facility knew long before the giant, tent-like structure collapsed three years ago that it was in danger of falling and concealed the problem, company documents obtained by The Associated Press reveal.

The emails, handwritten notes and other documents, which have not been released publicly, indicate that Summit Structures LLC knew far more about the perilous condition of the facility than has been reported and raise fresh questions about similar steel and fabric structures erected by the now-defunct Allentown, Pa., company.

"The deeper we dig into it, the worse it appears to get," an engineering consultant hired by Summit wrote in an email to company executives in April 2008, 13 months before the collapse.

The facility toppled spectacularly in a sudden wind storm as the Cowboys conducted a rookie mini-camp in May 2009. Falling debris severed the spinal cord of team scout Rich Behm, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down, and broke special teams coach Joe DeCamillis' neck. Ten other people were less seriously injured.

The documents reveal that Summit knew the facility was prone to buckling and planned to provide the Cowboys, who had complained about the building's structural integrity, with engineering calculations that would hide the defect.

Summit replaced the facility's fabric cover and made some structural repairs in May 2008. But the federal agency that investigated the disaster found that the repairs were minor and inadequate for reinforcing the frame.

The documents also indicate that the Cowboys accepted Summit's repairs without making the company's calculations available to an expert the team had hired to review the work.

Frank Branson, the attorney for Behm and DeCamillis, said the fact that Summit appears to have known the building could collapse a year before the accident makes his clients' injuries even more inexcusable.

"This tragedy was totally preventable, and both Rich and Coach DeCamillis will suffer the consequences every day for the rest of their lives," Branson said.

Behm and DeCamillis received $24 million from Summit's Canadian parent, Cover-All Building Systems, and another $10 million in cash and other considerations from companies controlled by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to settle lawsuits.

Nathan Stobbe, who was the president and chief executive officer of Summit and Cover-All, said the documents do not provide an accurate portrayal of the company but declined to elaborate.

"I'm not in position to provide you with the whole story, so I might as well not say anything," he said.

more at the link http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57480444/ap-exclusive-firm-knew-cowboys-facility-may-fall/

An examination of court records and published reports by the AP shows that at least 14 other structures designed and built by Summit or Cover-All have failed in the last 10 years in the U.S. and two foreign countries. Eleven occurred before the Cowboys' facility fell. There are no known injuries from those collapses, which involved buildings primarily used as warehouses, barns and equestrian facilities.

1 14 structural failures. It seems that someone would have done a background check on the company before awarding a contract to build the facility.

2. The company's parent name "Coverall," should have been "cover-up."

3. Damn shame.

1 14 structural failures. It seems that someone would have done a background check on the company before awarding a contract to build the facility.

Perhaps they did? I looked to see when the Cowboys facility was built but I couldn't find it in the article. Regardless, I agree with you.

Either way, I agree with Bliz in that there should be jail time and/or criminal convictions for stuff like this. Gross negligence.

Archived