Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Keim: Redskins practice report (July 30)

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins-practice-report-july-30/article/2503572

2. Backup right tackle Willie Smith injured his knee in a one-on-one drill when he got bowled over by linebacker Rob Jackson. Smith did not get run over because he was hurt. Rather, he got hurt because he got run over. It was an ugly play. Smith did not return to practice and will undergo an MRI. The Redskins have a real issue at backup tackle with Lichtensteiger out and Jammal Brown injured. Tyler Polumbus might be a decent backup, but he’s now a starter. Jason Lee has not impressed, nor has Smith.

3. Yes, this is a big issue. I think one of the tough things is that on some play-actions, Robert Griffin III is rather deliberate with his fakes. By the time he turns his eyes back to the field nearly two seconds have elapsed. You don’t get a lot of time to throw and if the line is not 100 percent he’ll likely get even less. Just something to watch.

4. The running backs worked on blitz pickups today. Didn’t see enough of the drill, but the best block I saw was by rookie undrafted free agent Antwon Bailey against Lorenzo Alexander. Stood him up. Meanwhile, Roy Helu kept his head up while trying to block Ryan Kerrigan, but the second-year ‘backer still went around him. And London Fletcher popped running back Evan Royster.

5. Speaking of Fletcher, he intercepted a telegraphed Kirk Cousins pass to tight end Niles Paul. Fletcher started running before the ball was released and easily turned it into a pick-six. By the way, Cousins throws an interception almost every practice. The knock on him in college was that he made too many mistakes. Hence a guy with good size and a good arm drops to the fourth round. He has a lot to learn. Remember those who wondered what would happen if Cousins outshined Robert Griffin III in camp? Really not worried about that right now. Cousins is being groomed to be a good backup. Every team needs one. And the more you get to know Griffin the more you realize he will never be scared of competition.

6. Saw Brian Orakpo in one-on-ones get the better of left tackle Trent Williams. Started upfield and shot back inside with what looked from a distance to be a swim move (was on the other field). But it was easy to see this: Williams was caught off-balance and leaning to his left. That doesn’t happen often. Orakpo said he was working on more moves and maybe he has. Curious to see him in a game to find out. Oh, the next time they faced each other: Orakpo tried to bull rush Williams and was stopped.

7. Williams also stopped Ryan Kerrigan in the one-on-ones when he tried to go wide. Williams hasn’t had any issues with Kerrigan in the matchups I’ve seen. But Kerrigan had more success in the full-team work vs. right tackle Tyler Polumbus. Got outside for one pressure and then drove into him and pushed him back. This is where the 6-foot-8 Polumbus has problems, always being able to stay low.[...]

I've been man-crushing on Brandyn Thompson since last preseason when I studied him closely... guy was just blanketing the guys he was going up against in coverage. Of course, those were WRs who probably got cut shortly after but, still, you can only play against who they put in front of you.

That being said, I think my limited man-crush emotions are starting to sway ever so slightly towards our newest rookie CB Richard Crawford. He seems to really be doing well thus far. I'm hoping both Thompson and Crawford manage to make our fears disappear about our DB situation.

Nice to see Trent Williams progressing thus far. He really needs to make the jump from solid, but inconsistent to very good/great.

Will a 'Skins O-line ever catch a break when it comes to the injury bug? I can't remember the last time our O-line went into the season healthy let alone lasted more than half the season before 2-3 of the 5 were injured or out for the season even.

Orakpo said he was working on more moves and maybe he has. Curious to see him in a game to find out.

Fantastic point here by Keim. If memory serves, Rak was working on moves last off season as well and even showed them off in camp... come the regular season, he was just trying to go around the outside.

There is a moxy about this defense this season that I really like.

Archived