Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Apple TV or Roku 2 XS?

Riggins77

Ok, so w just finished up the man cave/upstairs den and when I got a new Samsung blu-ray player with built in wi-fi, the signal actually sucks and streaming Netflix through it is painful. So, with that said, I already have an Apple TV box and moved it up in the room and the signal strength was perfect, problem solved.

Now, to replace the Apple TV downstairs, I thought about simply buying another Apple TV because

a] It rocks b] easy to use c] never had any issues.

While looking at Wal-Mart to see if they carry Apple TV (basically because I want to avoid the mall/best buy because of all the traffic) I came across Roku 2 XS and saw it had excellent reviews. Then I started researching it and it sounds like its pretty bad ass. Which one would you go with and why? Also, take a look at it from my perspective as already having an Apple TV.

I don't own any Mac/Apple computers, we only have I-phones and considering I already have one, my thought in bringing in the Roku would give me other options I dont have already.

Well, bought the Roku 2 XS and will be taking it back tomorrow. Hooked it up in my man cave, and it only got two bars for signal strength through its wireless connection (Apple TV gets 4-5 bars). Then it wouldnt connect to my wireless connection (no problems with Apple TV on this). So I thought, I'll just move it downstairs and keep my Apple TV upstairs. Installed it downstairs, got all 5 bars of signal strength. So Im thinking, problem solved. Not so much. Brought up Netflix and streamed three or four different shows that are available in HD. None of them streamed in HD, it was horrible looking and grainy (never had this problem on Apple TV).

So, if you're in the market for one of the media streaming devices, go with Apple TV. I give Apple TV 6 out of 5 stars (yes, I meant 6). Roku 2 XS gets 2 stars (one for the price and one for the easy set-up and free Angry Birds game).

Are there any settings to adjust to stream HD? Perhaps it's not on by default?

(I was also considering a Roku)

Not that I know of. My TV is 1080p and when I checked the stream on display settings on that, it said 720p, but I can tell you right now that it wasn't coming through in 720p. It was coming over in standard definition. It was really odd. Robotfire, can you confirm if there is an HD setting? Since it will work with both standard definition and HD TVs, that might make sense. But I did have it hooked up through HDMI. Im pretty sure it doesnt have any settings to switch between HD and standard def.

---------- Post added January-29th-2012 at 04:42 PM ----------

Well, I decided to give it another try. See if it was something I did wrong. So I did a little research on the HD quality of Netflix and Roku and read that the HD quality comes after it starts playing, it adjusts to the connection and to let it go for a minute or so and you should see it change into HD quality. So I plugged it back up.........and low and behold there are settings to go from standard to 720p and 1080p. Saddly, it was set on 720p so I thought hey, maybe I just need to be patient.

So I get it reconnected, says excellent signal strength.........and then it started losing connection to my internet (wireless router is in the room right beside my living room). Over and over again. So now, the problem is bigger than I thought before. I can handle waiting for the picture to develop and adjust itself to HD quality. What I cannot handle is an inferior piece of technology. There is absolutely no reason it should have any kind of issues connecting wirelessly to my router. I also have high speed DSL and get 12MB download speeds.

All my other equipment in the house gets a perfect to near perfect connection/signal, even the components upstairs with doors closed. I really wanted this to work out. Im pissed it didnt cause now I have to go back to Wal-Mart which I hate going to anyhow cause of the crowds. Apple TV for me, I should have known better to test the waters of the unknown.

---------- Post added January-29th-2012 at 04:43 PM ----------

Buy a Mac Mini and just use the HDMI to hook to your TV.

So buy a $600 computer to hook up to my TV........yeah, that's not going to happen. Why pay $600 to watch Netflix when I can pay another $99 for another Apple TV?

• 1 month later...

Just picked up an Apple TV and really like it. Its what comcast ondemand should work like. Heard they are coming out with a 1080p version this month. Will get that and move this one to the bedroom if the prices are similar.

Archived