Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 seasons by a RB over the last 20 years

Continuing with the top 10 lists, this one covers running backs over the last 20 years instead of just the Snyder years. If you think I have them out of order, convince me and I'll change the order lol :thumbsup:...

2006: Ladell Betts – 1154 yds, 4 TDs

Washington+Redskins+v+Baltimore+Ravens+Jx8vMOwhIJPm.jpg

Best Game: against the Falcons: 28 carries, 155 yds, 1 TD

2004: Clinton Portis – 1315 yds, 5 TDs

Clinton+Portis+Washington+Redskins+v+New+York+sF_Zk8wX7Ftl.jpg

Best Game: against the Giants: 31 carries, 148 yds, 1 TD

1995: Terry Allen – 1309 yds, 10 TDs

t_25776_06.jpg

Best Game: against the Cowboys: 30 carries, 121 yds, 1 TD

2001: Stephen Davis – 1432 yds, 5 TDs

tumblr_livt90Im571qde76co1_500.jpg

Best Game: against the Seahawks: 32 carries, 142 yds, 1 TD

2007: Clinton Portis – 1262 yds, 11 TDs

Clinton+Portis+Eg3h87oqatvm.jpg

Best Game: against the Jets: 36 carries, 196 yds, 1 TD

2000: Stephen Davis – 1318 yds, 11 TDs

image.php?productid=34685

Best Game: against the Panthers: 23 carries, 133 yds, 1 TD

2008: Clinton Portis – 1487 yds, 9 TDs

clinton_portis-205.jpg

Best Game: against the Browns: 27 carries, 175 yds, 1 TD

1996: Terry Allen – 1353 yds, 21 TDs

337336_display_image.jpg?1288134250

Best Game: against the Colts: 22 carries, 124 yds, 3 TDs

2005: Clinton Portis – 1516 yds, 11 TDs

Washington+Redskins+v+San+Francisco+49ers+vDegdjJBc-Xm.jpg

Best Game: against the Bucs: 23 carries, 144 yds, 1 TD

1999: Stephen Davis – 1405 yds, 17 TDs

daviss.jpg

Best Game: against the Cardinals: 37 carries, 189 yds, 1 TD

Hard to not put Portis’ record-breaking season at #1, but Davis had a higher ypc average, higher yards per game average, and more TDs in less games and less carries. Plus, at the time Davis’ 1405 yards was the franchise record breaker.

Eh, I could flip-flop 1 and 2 easily, but can't really argue with your reasoning either.

It was a joy seeing Portis at his best. Hopefully Helu and Royster can duplicate Portis' successes. Have any teams had two 1000 yard rushers in the same season? We might have two 1300 if the cards fall right.

Flip flop #2 with #3. 21 TDs for Allen vs 11 TDs for Portis MORE than makes up for the 163 YD advantage Portis had over Allen. Not to mention we picked up Allen as FA vs giving up a HOF CB and a 2nd RD pick for a guy that we made the highest paid RB of alltime and all we received in exchange was 4 good seasons out of 7.

Flip flop #2 with #3. 21 TDs for Allen vs 11 TDs for Portis MORE than makes up for the 163 YD advantage Portis had over Allen. Not to mention we picked up Allen as FA vs giving up a HOF CB and a 2nd RD pick for a guy that we made the highest paid RB of alltime and all we received in exchange was 4 good seasons out of 7.

Sorry, not gonna blame Portis for something he had no control over...

And breaking the franchise record while carrying the team into the playoffs trumps 10 extra touchdowns that ultimately lead to nothing for a team.

Sorry, not gonna blame Portis for something he had no control over...

And breaking the franchise record while carrying the team into the playoffs trumps 10 extra touchdowns that ultimately lead to nothing for a team.

It's your list but your rationale is ridiculous. You're not going to blame Portis for something he had no control over but blame Allen even though he easily had a far superior season...That's priceless, I'm not going to blame you for not wanting to change your SUBJECTIVE poll then.....TEN (10) more TDs vs. 163 more YDs in a season is the difference between a chick who is TEN (10) and a chick who is a SIX (6). In our two playoff games Portis averaged 2.8 YDs per carry. Simply put Allen had a better season than Portis, and nice try….trying to trumping TEN (10) less TDs. Pretty, pretty funny.

Gotta give credit to the TDs. In 1983 Riggo had a, what, 3.7 avg. but set the league record with 24 TDs (I think 24). However, how many of those TDs were 3 yards or less? Point being, if you're 3 yards or less from the end zone, you can't get more than 3 yards (or less), thus bringing down the avg., but what fan wouldn't trade avg. for TDs?

Great list. I always knew Portis carried this team for 6 years without much to show for it. Im glad he's getting some props.

That said, it's also crazy how many yards he gained with very few long runs. It goes to show how consistent he can be in a good and bad way. He never averaged more than 4.3 yards per carry and only started all 16 games for the season 3 times for the skins.

Great list. I always knew Portis carried this team for 6 years without much to show for it. Im glad he's getting some props.

That said, it's also crazy how many yards he gained with very few long runs. It goes to show how consistent he can be in a good and bad way. He never averaged more than 4.3 yards per carry and only started all 16 games for the season 3 times for the skins.

Fair to say he carried the load for 4 years but not 6. Look it up.

It's your list but your rationale is ridiculous. You're not going to blame Portis for something he had no control over but blame Allen even though he easily had a far superior season...

HUGE difference between blaming Portis for the deal that brought him to the Redskins and blaming Terry Allen for not doing more to help get his team wins and a playoff birth.

Allen hardly had a "far superior season"...in fact I'm guessing you have no clue whatsoever as to what Allen's season was really like.

That's priceless, I'm not going to blame you for not wanting to change your SUBJECTIVE poll then.....TEN (10) more TDs vs. 163 more YDs in a season is the difference between a chick who is TEN (10) and a chick who is a SIX (6). In our two playoff games Portis averaged 2.8 YDs per carry. Simply put Allen had a better season than Portis, and nice try….trying to trumping TEN (10) less TDs. Pretty, pretty funny.

Follow along:

In 1996, the Skins were 7-3 with six games left. They ended up 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

Terry Allen's contribution during those last 6 games with a division title and playoff birth within reach?

He averaged 62 yards per game.

He averaged 3.3 yards per carry.

He never had a game over 87 yards.

He had 4 TD in 6 games.

In the last 6 games of the season Terry Allen damn near disappeared. Yes, he had 21 TDs but only four of them came in the last 6 weeks when they were needed the most. In fact, 3 of the 4 TDs came in the last game of the season when a win ended up not mattering.

Now, contrast that to Portis' "far inferior season":

Skins were 5-5, and needed to string some wins in a row to make the playoffs just as a wildcard team.

He averaged 110 yards per game.

He averaged 4.2 yards per carry.

He never had a game UNDER 87 yards.

He had 6 TDs in 6 games.

In the last 6 games of the season Clinton Portis turned it on and came through for his team. Yes, he "only" had 11 TDs but most of those TDs came in the last 6 weeks when they were needed the most. And he broke the franchise rushing record while doing so.

So let's go over it again.

When the season was on the line and the team needed Allen and Portis to come through:

Allen: 63 ypg

Portis: 110 ypg

Allen: 3.3 ypc

Portis: 4.2 ypc

Allen: never had a game over 87 yds

Portis: never had a game UNDER 87 yds

Allen: 4 TDs

Portis: 6 TDs

Portis wins this, easily. And it's not subjective lol...

More weight is given to the season where the RB kicks his game up a notch or two to help the team in terms of the playoffs. In fact, Riggins is in the HOF for that very reason...he kicked his performance up several notches when the games started mattering more, such as in the playoffs. He became a different running back. Allen, as much as I loved the guy while he was with the Redskins, never did that. He got a lot of TDs in September and October, and then needed Mapquest to find the end zone down the stretch with the playoffs on the line.

So, nope lol...those 10 extra TDs ultimately didn't mean anything to the team and his yardage dropped off a cliff, as where Portis' TDs and yardage meant everything to the team and both stats improved when the season was on the line.

Fair to say he carried the load for 4 years but not 6. Look it up.

He was our lead back for 6 seasons (2004 - 2009) with by far the most carries for each of those seasons (The exception to that era was when he went down with an injury and Betts stepped in for the bulk of the season). I say carried the load because we went with a single primary back during that time and he was the unquestioned starter when healthy. We did not use a rotational set until Shanahan in '10. Look it up.

I definitely agree with your choice for #1. Davis was a complete beast that year. Cali, wasn't Terry Allen playing hurt at the end of that season he fell of after the 21 TDs? I remember him falling off like you say, but i can't remember the details.

I would've put CP at one aswell. But I can see your point on putting Davis at one. I clearly remember that was a great year for him.

Its a shame Portis was playing behind some bad O-lines and with not to mention not having much of a passing game to open up the running game. One thing that the stats don't show is the great blocking he put in that help save Jason's rear end more than twice.

In what bizarre world is a 165 Yd difference better than a 10 TD difference. Twist it how you want but a season is 16 games. You made the parameters, switch #3 to #2 and be objective instead of being subjective, but in the end it's your post and your poll. And if you want to include the postseason then Portis wasn't productive..

You're choosing me to pick a favorite son, it's not easy but if you do then clearly Allen had a better season.

Ok Califan, lets stop goofing around and post the one we all want to see....top 10 QB's.

And damn i forgot how good Terry Allen was. Even tho he was my first fav Redskins!!

Biggest Diff between then and the last 5-6 years is TD's

I'm not sure anyone is ready for the top 10 QB list. :ols: It's going to be the Mark Brunell/Jason Campbell show if its for the last ten years :ols:

I agree with those who would put Portis' 2005 season at the top. It's not just the numbers, but how and when he put them up. I have not seen a Redskin RB put the team on his back the way Portis did final five games of the regular season since Riggins' 1982 playoff run. Stephen Davis in 1999 is close, but he had the #6 passing attack in the league to keep defenses honest (the 2005 Skins pass offense was 21st) and he did it against MUCH softer competition. Davis failed to rush for more than 70 yards against any team with a winning record (he only played against two of them all season long, only scoring one of his TDs in both of them combined.) Portis, on the other hand put up 121 yards against the 11-5 Bears, 103 yards against the 13-3 Broncos, 144 yards and a TD against the 11-5 Bucs, 112 yards against the 9-7 Cowboys and 105 yards and a TD against the 11-5 Giants. Every team on that list was in the top half of the league against the run.

Similar to Davis, Terry Allen in '96 put up his big numbers during the first half of the season, when we were playing the easy part of our schedule. I remember when we were sitting at 7-1 and people around the league still weren't convinced we were that good, because we hadn't played anyone any good yet (well, we had but we lost that game.) When we hit the teeth of the schedule Allens numbers (and everyone else's to be fair to Allen) dropped considerably. Rather than take the team on his back to the playoffs, he joined the epic collapse. The only decent game he had over the last six games or so was the meaningless last game of the season at RFK, when Dallas was resting their starters for the playoffs, and Allen added 3 TDs to his tally. In the prior five games combined he'd scored one.

Anyway, cool list Cali. I like the idea. Thanks for posting.

Archived