Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Odds of getting our franchise QB in the drat

Tomel

I think the realistic odds are about 1/1. or 50%.

I'd have to dig up all the past drafts and run the numbers, but my guess would be about 50%. Some guys hit, some guys don't.

Hopefully the Skins find a winner, it sure does seem like we're due, right?

I see Cleveland pursuing RG3 as only upping the price, not closing off the opportunity. We are desperate for a quarterback; Cleveland is not. They have more ammo, but we have more motivation. I don't see them willing to offer a package that's more attractive than the max package we would be willing to put together.

Cleveland's coach has openly talked about RGIII

They have a need for a playmaker on their team. What better position than the QB..A playmaking QB can raise the performance of everyone around them

They don't have very much invested in their current crop of QBs

They have more picks than we do

Why are people trying to convince themselves that Cleveland is not really interested or will only take RGIII if he falls to them? Its wishful thinking. They have as much reason to get him as we do and they have more ammo. Lets just hope they go after Flynn instead.

---------- Post added January-18th-2012 at 07:47 AM ----------

I doubt it would cost three 1sts and a 2nd to move to 2. That would be priced way higher than the market value.

Market value is what teams are willing to pay. Its not a formula. If both the Skins and Browns miss out or bypass Flynn, the cost to trade up will skyrocket....

---------- Post added January-18th-2012 at 07:51 AM ----------

We need 2 QBs, I don't want to see Grossman and Beck anymore, this mess has to stop. About Flynn what makes me think that he is better than JC is his performance vs the Lions and Cheatriots, when you can do that you can't be mediocre overall. I think this guy has some talent, how much ? I don't know. We don't need a great QB, we just need a good reliable QB because I believe defenses win championships. Last but not least, what would be your strategy ?

I agree we need another qb regardless of whether we go with Flynn or RGIII. If we sign Flynn (or dare I say Manning) we draft someone. A midrounder with Flynn or a Tannehill type with Manning. If we go with RGIII a vet like a Josh Johnson, Dennis Dixon, or Brady Quinn would be a good route.

Cleveland's coach has openly talked about RGIII

They have a need for a playmaker on their team. What better position than the QB..A playmaking QB can raise the performance of everyone around them

They don't have very much invested in their current crop of QBs

They have more picks than we do

Why are people trying to convince themselves that Cleveland is not really interested or will only take RGIII if he falls to them? Its wishful thinking. They have as much reason to get him as we do and they have more ammo. Lets just hope they go after Flynn instead.

---------- Post added January-18th-2012 at 07:47 AM ----------

Market value is what teams are willing to pay. Its not a formula. If both the Skins and Browns miss out or bypass Flynn, the cost to trade up will skyrocket....

I know Shurmur said that he was planning on watching RGIII, but that was in response to a question before the Alamo bowl. I don't know if he's said anything else since then, but if all he's said is that he's "watching him" that's not particularly special. Have you heard anything more?

And they certainly need a playmaker but QB isn't the problem. Look at Cleveland's stats. Their WRs are horrible. Furthermore, you can't blame the QB for this, they led the league in drops this year. They might not have a star QB, but he's far better than their WR corp. Add on Hillis most likely leaving, and their offense is totally bare, with the somewhat funny exception of, Colt McCoy.

The simple truth is, Cleveland will do themselves a disservice trading up. They will give away two 1st round potential playmakers for a modest upgrade at QB. Their team will still suck next year, and instead of them wasting maybe 30-40% of McCoy's potential, they'll be wasting 80% of RGIII's potential. They would do far better to draft Richardson, and then go after a WR like Wright.

The other thing is that Holmgren doesn't draft QBs early. It would be a major shift in policy to suddenly jump at RGIII with picks. Shurmur and Heckert might want to, but they have openly talked about wanting to draft 9 quality guys, which requires all of their picks. They've also openly stated that if the guy they want can be had later, they might entertain trading down, of all things.

I don't think we can put any stock in anything any of the 3 top guys there said or will say. We don't know what they'll do, but right now there are more signs that they stay put rather than trade up. It could change, but I think that's where we stand right now.

As for value, there is a chart/formula. While most teams don't hold to it hard and fast, they will consult it usually. The only way trading to 2 costs more than two 1sts, a 2nd, and maybe a 4th is if a bidding war starts, and even then, it usually deals with smaller jumps in value, not 1st round picks. An extra 1st would be us pushing the nuke button to win the deal.

Don't forget that Cleveland tried to get Flynn last offseason. You'd have to think that their interest in him would be even higher this year. If they liked him last year, it would make a whole lot more sense for them to get him in FA, then use both their first rounders to help their offense.

Here are a few recent tweets from guys that cover the Browns. Tweets are from Jan 5

Don Delco@DonDelcoOBR

Sounds like if RG3 falls to #Browns at No. 4, they will be listening for trade offers. #boo

DanielWolfNFL Daniel WolfNFL

Sounds to me like # Browns wont draft a QB & if # RG3 is on the board at No. 4, they will trade out to get more picks. Heckert loves picks..

Daniel Wolf@DanielWolfNFL

@BigMikeLowry Rumors say Holmgren loves USC's Barkley & will give Colt a chance w/ weapons this yr & if doesn't work he'll go after Barkley

Daniel Wolf@DanielWolfNFL

#Browns GM Heckert on #NFLDraft picks: "We like our picks, we have nine of them and we want nine more players. We have to hit on them tho."

Nothing is guaranteed for next year. The Redskins front office has to make something happen now. There's no free agent QB worth signing and don't say Matt Flynn because he's still unproven. He had only two good games but big deal. He hasn't been a starter. He's a backup. Next year? No! Next year we will be heading into year 4 of Mike Shanahan. Shanahan needs to do something now. Even if he has to give the Rams or the Vikings future 1st round picks to land RG3 or to the Colts to get Luck, he and Bruce Allen need to pull that trigger.

See thats where I have to disagree. If those teams don't accept our offer than what? Like you said no FA QB is the answer, the other QBs in the draft is not close to being a starter of this team. Now I'm not saying let's just go in the season with what we had last year. Maybe Chad Henne or Kyle Orton. And wait for someone to drop to the 4th round. But if Mike don't see someone he doesn't like than I'm ok with it. As long as he improve the Oline, Secondary, and weapons on offense. But we should not look at Mike and think he have to get a QB even if he doesn't like one. We should expect him to make this team better. That's all we can ask for right now.

Flacco's always a tough one. In my evaluations I usually count him as one, but even Baltimore is not exactly thrilled with him. He's on the last year of his contract next season and supposedly they are not going to extend him now (though I suppose if they win it all that can change). They want him to play it out before committing to him. That doesn't sound like a franchise QB to me.

Outside the top 11 picks, the only really good QBs from the last 8 or so years are Aaron Rodgers, Flacco, Matt Schaub, and whatever you want to call Josh Freeman. And Rodgers was widely considered a top 10 caliber player that simply fell on draft day.

I tend to agree with you, but I've watched Flacco play some great games for Baltimore. Their fans cry and moan about Flacco and Cam Cameron and they are 12-4 and in the Championship game. I would die to be that good again. I miss it. I was spoiled back in the late 80's and early 90's with the great teams we had. Tell you what if Baltimore doesn't want Flacco, I'd take him in a heartbeat for the Skins!!! HTTR

Archived