Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lower Manhattan for NYE...any good restaurants that don't break the bank...

Dodo Bird

Thanks for helping out if you know of any good restaurants or things to do.

Not trying to be anywhere near times square.

I've been to a place at South Street seaport, right below the Brooklyn Bridge. I suspect there will be fireworks right there. Don't remember the restaurant name, but it was right on the river -

I haven't been there for a few years, but I'm sure down in the village there are still several good restaraunts (i.e. near the NYU campus and Washington Sq. Park). 5th avenue "up from Washington Sq. park" (so if you are in the park and you walk up 5th Ave the opposite direciton of traffic), near the village had several restaruants. University Pl. in the same area is similar (University Pl is a block over from 5th Ave). There was a Patsy's Pizza, which is always pretty good. There's Knickerbockers, which I never thought all that much of, especially at the price, but my boss at the time swore by it (it isn't really normally fancy in terms of dress, but it was expensive (though I don't know what they do New Year's Eve)), and there were a lot of places on the streets on the 6th avenue side of the park (if you are on Broadway, walk through the park, and then on one of the streets towards 6th avenue). There was a Thai place that was particularly good and cheap and on Washington Pl near 6th avenue., but there was a lot of other stuff in the area (Brazilian, Greek, American, there was a Belgium beer and muscles bar, etc.). You could find similar places in that area (between 6th avenue and the Park/5th Ave) on many of the side streets w/ 8th Ave. and Blecker being pretty much the boundries (there were others, but there were just fewer restauratns once you got on the other side of Bleeker or 8th avenue (Mon Rapas on 8th Ave made good crepes, but ask them to make it while you wait)).

(So a square (or a rectangle with 5th and 6th Ave being two of opposite sides and Bleecker and 8th Ave. being the other opposite sides (and Washington Sq. Park will be in the middle)) and then even up 5th Ave, Washington Pl, and University Pl. away from the park (looking the Patsy's was at University Pl. between 10th and 11th) and .

Generally, I don't even know what is there any more, much less what is open on News Year Eve (though I'd guess that depends on when you want dinner w/ most places being open normally during normal dinner hours), but I'm sure you'll most likely be able to find a reasonable meal at a reasonable price in that area, especially if you like (or at least don't mind) ethnic food.

The other area that was similar in my experiecne was the area around Magnolia Cupcake, which is around Bleecker and 11th (this is west of Washington Sq. Park so if you are Bleecker and 6th Ave and walk away from the park you'll get there (though this wouldn't be the most direct way starting from the park). The general area had a lot of stuff, especially if walked west on 11th and to Hudson St. (which is actually a couple of blocks from the Hudson River) and then along Hudson St. I never found much of interest on the streets on the otherside of Hudson St (that would be the streets to the west of Hudson) (and I never was that impressed with the cupcakes. Certainly never thought they were worth the lines that were there frequently.)

Kind of vague I know, but it is really how I suggest people eat in NYC. Find a good area and walk around until you find something that seems to strike you.

(Rereading this, I clearly oriented myself by Washington Sq. Park while there.)

I never had much look in the WTC/Battery park area. The Little Italy area is kind of cool to do once or twice if you haven't done it (a tip, you can negotiate the price of your meal in Little Italy if they aren't busy).

If the best deli in the world qualifies Katz's is my call. Whenever I visit my relatives in Jersey I make my cousin drive me over there (hour or so each way) for a pastrami sammich. I got the street wrong last time I recommended it so I'll let you google it for the address but it's an experience as well as devine food and right in that area. It'll fill you up too. ;)

15 years ago I could have told you lots of recommendations. Now? Things change too much. You may have to go on chowhound or nyc.com or something if no one here gives you any solid information.

---------- Post added December-29th-2011 at 09:46 AM ----------

Also let us know what neighborhood. Lower manhattan could be lots of places. manhattan-neighborhood-map.jpg

Archived