Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comparing the current NTs-through week 10

gchwood

Here is a statistical comparison of all of the starting NTs in the league for teams that play a base 3-4 more than 50% of the time.

Barry Cofield: 15 tkls, 2.0 sacks, 1 FR, 6 PD, 1 stuff

Marcell Dareus: 26 tkls, 3.5 sacks, 1 FR, 2 PD, 1 stuff

Paul Soliai: 17 tkls, 0.0 sacks, 2 PD, 1 stuff

Dan Williams: 14 tkls, 0.0 sacks, 1 PD, 1 stuff

Jay Ratliff: 13 tkls, 1.0 sacks, 1 FR, 2 stuffs

B.J. Raji: 16 tkls, 2.0 sacks, 1 PD

Shaun Cody: 15 tkls, 1.0 sacks, 1 FR

Kelly Gregg: 26 tkls, 1.0 sacks, 1 PD, 1 stuff

Sione Pouha: 33 tkls, 0.0 sacks, 1 FF, 2 FR, 2 PD, 2 stuffs

Antonio Garay: 37 tkls, 2.0 sacks, 3 stuffs

Isaac Sopoaga: 11 tkls, 0.0 sacks, 1 FR

Casey Hampton: 16 tkls, 0.0 sacks, 2 stuffs

I created this thread for those that say "Hey, we need to move Cofield to end, and get a real NT." Now I know that statistics do not show the whole story for NTs, but I think that Cofield is performing rather well compared to other NTs in the league. He is absorbing blocks and allowing our LBs to get to the ball carrier, whether they make the tackle is another question altogether(Rocky McIntosh!).

Seriously not worried about our D-line this off-season.

The current starting three will all be 28 going into next year, and all have shown to be more than competent to be depth at the least; with hopefully this years rooks Jenkins and Nield kicking on. And I'm real hopeful the second year player the Steelers drafted, Doug Worthington, shows enough in camp to make the rotation. He looked solid this past pre-season, and Pittsburgh don't draft linemen lightly. Even late round flyers.

I'd be more than happy going forward with that group for now. We've FAR more pressing needs than the defensive line to attend to.

Thanks for taking the time to compare the stats on NT's gchw. Appreciated.

Hail.

I'll admit that I am one of those people saying that Cofield isn't a true NT. And I am still going to say it. We will be much better to find a true NT and move Cofield back to end. But if we have to continue to use him at NT, I have no problem with that....

I just don't see anyone that would be better than Cofield that is available in FA. Soliai is a FA, but Cofield is out performing him thus far and is only in his first year at the position. A rookie certainly is not guarantee. I am actually excited about the D-Line and how they have played overall, and the young guys that are waiting in the wings. Nield could become a decent rotation guy, and Jenkins(at DE) looked great before going down in preseason.

Cofield has had an absolutely dreadful year, if you cant see that...you're blind. He gets absolutely no push on running plays, and is one of the main reasons why every team is running all over us. He also does nothing on passing downs, and those sacks were both because one of our OLB's got pressure on the QB and forced him to panic. Keep being eternally optimistic over a player past his prime..go right ahead

Cofield is a good NT when we have a lead. We need a run stuffer to join the rotation.

It really isn't the D-Lines job to stuff the run in a 3-4. Look at the stuffs stat of all of the NTs, not very high. The ILBs are supposed to do the run stopping in a 3-4. Rocky, IMO, is a bum, and London is dropped into zone coverage often.

---------- Post added November-17th-2011 at 01:45 PM ----------

Cofield has had an absolutely dreadful year, if you cant see that...you're blind. He gets absolutely no push on running plays, and is one of the main reasons why every team is running all over us. He also does nothing on passing downs, and those sacks were both because one of our OLB's got pressure on the QB and forced him to panic. Keep being eternally optimistic over a player past his prime..go right ahead

The NT is NOT SUPPOSED to get push. He IS SUPPOSED to take double teams, so that the ILBs get to the ball carrier. Sometimes I feel like too many people are watching the ball and not enough are watching and understanding what is going on in the trenches. Many posters here seem to still have the 4-3 expectations and don't understand how vastly different a 3-4 is, in terms of responsibilities and expectations.

I just don't see anyone that would be better than Cofield that is available in FA. Soliai is a FA, but Cofield is out performing him thus far and is only in his first year at the position. A rookie certainly is not guarantee. I am actually excited about the D-Line and how they have played overall, and the young guys that are waiting in the wings. Nield could become a decent rotation guy, and Jenkins(at DE) looked great before going down in preseason.

Let's not get it twisted, the D-Line is the strongest unit of this team. I am not saying that we must get another NT. I am just saying that we could be better with a true NT. But I like Cofield at the end or NT. I just think he would be even better on the end. Can you imagine if Cofeild and Orakpo were rushing from the same side? It would be crazy. NT is not a top priority. I wouldn't even say it is a priority, more of a luxury.

Having a run stuffing fatty in the rotation would help tremendously as it would allow Cofield to either catch a breather on run plays or enable him to shift to DE where he would be a better fit. Cofield could then move back inside on obvious passing downs.

We have a nice core on the D line in Bowen, Cofield, Carriker, and Jenkins when he returns. We just need to add a big ugly dude in the middle.

Let's not get it twisted, the D-Line is the strongest unit of this team. I am not saying that we must get another NT. I am just saying that we could be better with a true NT. But I like Cofield at the end or NT. I just think he would be even better on the end. Can you imagine if Cofeild and Orakpo were rushing from the same side? It would be crazy. NT is not a top priority. I wouldn't even say it is a priority, more of a luxury.

My question is who are we going to get that is better?

It really isn't the D-Lines job to stuff the run in a 3-4. Look at the stuffs stat of all of the NTs, not very high. The ILBs are supposed to do the run stopping in a 3-4. Rocky, IMO, is a bum, and London is dropped into zone coverage often.

It is the DL's job to stand pat and not get shoved around at will on obvious running downs. That's the change a true run stopper will bring. If we can get a guy that can also pass rush then great but so far we have Neild at about 325lbs and a bunch of big, athletic DEs. And yes we did need to upgrade Rocky.

I'm not saying our DL is bad, just that it needs 1 more piece. Given our needs a vet that can give a good year or two will do.

Ok who do you all define as a run-stuffing NT?

Because every 3-4 defense ahead of us in total run D has a NT with comparable stats to Cofield (Many with worse), with the exception of Sione Pouha with NYJ.

but do those stats qualify tackles against pass vs the run? BTW, stats don't allows show you how often the NT gets push around vs the run. Just Sayin....

---------- Post added November-17th-2011 at 02:06 PM ----------

To all those who think we should move Cofield back to DE, do you realize Jenkins will start opposite Bowen next year?

Well, this is why i would say he would be good in the rotation btwn DE and NT <----(especially on passing downs).

they are using neild as the run stuffing nt, pay attention everyone, and thats what his role will be going forward.

as well cofield is playing very good nobody is talking about him which is a good thing:) that's his role.

finally Jarvis Berry Bowen with Carriker Neild Worthington backups. its a given. Also strongest part of the team is dline.

oh and one last thing. good teams always draft some dlinemen in the draft whether its an need or not.

Archived