Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Inexplicable: Brian Orakpo dropped into coverage on 14 of Matt Moore's 29 passes

SkinsTillIDie

Still trying to figure out what moves get you out of a chokehold other than an elbow the gut or stepping on a guy's toes or something...

Well, if the O-line expects nothing but a bull rush... the it's easy to hold the guy. If he's going up against a guy who also has a nasty spin move..then trying to get your arms in and hold the guy can backfire on you.

And as much as we want. let's not exaggerate the situation... Rak is not in a chokehold every time he rushes the passer. I know we all want to believe the NFL and the officials are against us and that's why we suck, but.. it just isn't the case. Sorry

Pass rushers get held, the calls get missed a lot, it's a fact of life. The "good" pass rushers still find a way to be disruptive..

This is what a 3-4 linebacker is supposed to do. The most famous play of James Harrison's career is an interception.

It's unfortunate that Orakpo is not particularly good at this key requirement of his job.

---------- Post added November-16th-2011 at 11:21 PM ----------

Rak and Kerrigan are the type of dudes that need to have their hand in the dirt and rush almost every down. But I think they are still beasting in this scheme and yea I think thats a lil high.

DId you really just use "beasting" as a verb?

Don't do that again.

It's a common way to attack a 34 D. The offense uses formations that force the outside backer into coverage because most backers are not that good at it. So instead of allowing the rush linebacker to attack the passer the offense will try to keep him off by forcing him into coverage.

That's the joy of having two very good/elite pass rushers. You get to mix it up. I agree that that is a little high, but it's not a necessity that they both rush 85-90% of the time. You try to confuse the O. If the O is keying on Orakpo, you might drop him a little more often and rush from the other side. If they're keying Kerrigan, then you rush Orakpo. You can't just pin the ears back on both of them every play.

While I agree that you can't always be predictable, Orakpo is clearly uncomfortable & out of place in coverage situations. He should be one of those guys that stays at the line & is either rushing the passer or stopping the run. I can't stand seeing him in coverage. It is NOT his strong suit.

While I agree that you can't always be predictable, Orakpo is clearly uncomfortable & out of place in coverage situations. He should be one of those guys that stays at the line & is either rushing the passer or stopping the run. I can't stand seeing him in coverage. It is NOT his strong suit.

So, what do you do? You can't rush him 75 percent of the time. You can't rush him 60 percent of the time. It's too easy to attack him if you know he is coming on every single play - just drop a TE or RB into his area.

You know who doesn't suck in coverage? Ryan Kerrigan. It's year one, and you never see him abused in coverage like Rak in year three. Rak is just not very good in space against NFL players--not only in coverage, but also against the run and mobile QB's.

Yeah, Kerrgian been impressive against the pass for a guy of his size. Even when his man makes a catch, he's been right there to make a quick tackle. He even tipped that pass that Fletcher picked off against the Cardinals.

Yeah, Kerrgian been impressive against the pass for a guy of his size. Even when his man makes a catch, he's been right there to make a quick tackle. He even tipped that pass that Fletcher picked off against the Cardinals.

I don't think size has anything really to do with it. I just don't think is that fluid of an athlete.

Orakpo is not a DE but a LB so he needs to be an all around player but I agree we need to have him rush the passer more so we can put some pressure on opposing QB's. He was drafted to be our DeMarcus Ware of the defense. The problem is that Haslet is a terrible DC and always will be. He often looks lost on the sidelines when things aren't going right. He never makes the adjustments needed and opposing teams know exactly how to exploit the weaknesses in his defense. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone wants him as a DC. He is just like Rob Ryan except Ryan has a dad that employed a great defense once when he was in Chicago. You want Haslet to mix up the coverages but what you really want is for there to be an all out blitz and abandon pass defense even if it means giving up a TD. And to put the stats up about when he dropped into coverage, how many were for first down or what type of play were run doesn't mean anything. What you are trying to do is blame Orakpo for giving up first downs because he didn't rush the passer and do what you want him to do, That is plain stupid and idiotic. If that is what you wasted your time on to say that Orakpo isn't doing what he is suppose to do and we need to trade or get rid of him then you must not have a very interesting life.

So' date=' what do you do? You can't rush him 75 percent of the time. You can't rush him 60 percent of the time. It's too easy to attack him if you know he is coming on every single play - just drop a TE or RB into his area.[/quote']

Why can't he be a 75-80% rusher? I don't understand. If you drop a TE or RB on him, I would think he should get by that on average. On top of that, if he is just part of the line, isn't he supposed to be trying to put pressure on the QB? Is he not good enough to take up at least 1 blocker maybe even 2 so that someone else can get a clear shot at the QB?

They don't use him right, IMO. I don't really pay attention to other teams that much, but do the Giants use Osi in coverage? Do other teams use their DEs in the same manner, especailly if they excel at pass rush?

Why can't he be a 75-80% rusher? I don't understand. If you drop a TE or RB on him, I would think he should get by that on average. On top of that, if he is just part of the line, isn't he supposed to be trying to put pressure on the QB? Is he not good enough to take up at least 1 blocker maybe even 2 so that someone else can get a clear shot at the QB?

They don't use him right, IMO. I don't really pay attention to other teams that much, but do the Giants use Osi in coverage? Do other teams use their DEs in the same manner, especailly if they excel at pass rush?

Osi is not a 3-4 OLB.

A 3-4 OLB has to cover. It's just the way the world works.

I certainly think he is a good pass rusher, but I don't think he'll ever be an elite OLB... If he proves me wrong, that'd be awesome but I wonder if we kind of ruined his career.

He's a natural DE and for some weird ass reason, Blache and Vinny decided to convert him into a LB for the 4-3. WTF?

I wonder how his career would be if he was used as a DE for the Giants or Eagles....

Archived